Bandon Dunes - Nearly Booked Through 2022

First day in the books. Got checked in, hit the range and played Shorty’s. That was the best decision as I was forced to not play golf swing and instead hit some shots.

Our groups headed to Bandon Dunes with great weather and got after it. Wind picked up on the back nine, but it was still incredible.

Got a couple birdies, one front, one back. First was on #4 with an incredible long putt from off the green that broke 15+ feet.

Really buzzing as I missed my PB by one stroke and shot a super steady 76 with no worse than a bogey.

Preserve and Pac Dunes tomorrow. Also, The Forge steakhouse was really, really good.
Pacific can look so mild but if the wind comes up or if you have one of those days where the ball rolls 6" right instead of left it can get interesting.

You guys using caddies?

Pacific can look so mild but if the wind comes up or if you have one of those days where the ball rolls 6" right instead of left it can get interesting.

You guys using caddies?

Pacific brought me to my knees and back to earth! Had a great morning at Preserve, lots of good shots and laughs. Then the wind picked up a bit and Pacific beat me up for four hours. Was beautiful though and I can see why it’s so highly rated. Dinner at Pacific Grill was fantastic.

We are using caddies, some group and some double bag. So far they have been very good.

Now is the big day, Old Mac in the morning and Bandon Trails in the afternoon.

Pacific brought me to my knees and back to earth! Had a great morning at Preserve, lots of good shots and laughs. Then the wind picked up a bit and Pacific beat me up for four hours. Was beautiful though and I can see why it’s so highly rated. Dinner at Pacific Grill was fantastic.

We are using caddies, some group and some double bag. So far they have been very good.

Now is the big day, Old Mac in the morning and Bandon Trails in the afternoon.
The two hardest walks, back to back.

Old Mac seems simple and easy, but trust me that it is not easy. Listen to your caddies when they give you lines off the tee. It looks wide open but it matters. And enjoy those greens…they’ll be the biggest you likely ever see.

Trails…it’s the shot makers course. Underrated. Stay as left as possible off the tee on 14. If you end up right consider playing your 2nd shot sideways to get on the right level instead of the seemingly obvious shot to the green (it’s designed not to received shots from that angle and you’ll go over the green, then have the same problem coming back).

What a few days. We played Old Mac and Trails yesterday and they were two of my favorites. Trails is just amazing and feels somewhat Augusta-esque with its sweeping fairways. Played pretty good at Old Mac and less so at Trails, body started to boycott my demands.

Sheep Ranch this morning was incredible with the wind staying down the first nine. Greens were a little rough, but still playable.

Overall a great trip and can’t wait to go back. Meals were fantastic and Bandon goes out of their way to make sure everything is taken care of.

Pulled pork breakfast tacos from Charlotte's on the range.

16828728478773494867407426111720.jpg

Booked for sept. So that’s fun.

After speaking with a lot of folks on the resort it sounds like September and October are pretty near perfect. Perhaps even a little less wind. I’m calling tomorrow and getting on the “call me when October 2026 opens” list. Think Bandon every few years is essential.

Practice round on Pacific Dunes yesterday. Just getting my links feel back in. Of course I chipped with a lob wedge most of the day so really didn't practice. Lol. I did chip in for a bird so that was nice. Wind was high there for a bit but nothing too crazy. Starting on Bandon Dunes today with best ball.

Last night also had a fitting with Taylormade on the range. Not ordering anything but some pretty nice stuff. Really like the P770

Bandon Swag!

Dozen personalized golf balls, glove, shoe bag, hoodie, 1/4 zip, and tshirt.

1682980831358409116201733067138.jpg

1682980862239209828556303855648.jpg

Bandon Dunes Trip Review

I was recently in the Bandon Dunes Cup which is a 2 man 4 round event that was flighted into 6 flights. It is the 3rd time I have done this tournament and each time it has been awesome. As you can see in the post above this one there is swag involved with the tournament entry. My partner and I won the fourth flight gross which I have also had posts in various threads speaking of that. Here are my thoughts about the resort and how it has changed over the last 12 years since I first visited. This was overall my 5th trip there.

Pros:
  • It is Bandon Freaking Dunes. If as a golfer you can't get excited about going there then I don't know what to tell you.
  • So much has changed since my last visit which was before Sheep Ranch opened. A new course, new lodging, new bar, the restaurant at Old Mac is almost done. Lots of progress and my next trip there will be even more exciting stuff going in.
  • The weather cooperating for the most part as we only got a slight drizzle for about 45 minutes across 5 rounds played. The wind was there but not horrible. There were shots that were affected but nothing that was playing unfair.
  • The Taylormade fitting that was included in the Tournament package was nice. I tried out a lot of equipment that I haven't hit as Taylormade isn't really that high on my list. I am glad I tried some different things and they have some good equipment. There was a 15% off offer for being part of the event and tax free in Oregon with free shipping. Some folks that ordered new clubs got a smoking deal.
  • The range also added a BBQ trailer that sells breakfast and lunch. Very reasonable prices and the food was tasty. Not the best BBQ I have had but a whole lot better than most boiled meat and ketchup places I have tried
  • The tournament organizers were awesome and it was just a sign of all the service we received while we were there. The resort staff and pro shop shop remembered you as you came and went. The caddies were all excellent as well.
  • A first place trophy and $250 gift card were not too shabby.
  • The tournament included a welcome reception on Sunday (2 free beers), breakfast for 3 days, lunch on our 36 hole day, and an awards reception. Only had to pay for 2 dinners and drinks. Very reasonable.
  • The Goodnight Irenes at McKee's Pub were excellent.
Cons:
  • There was no food that I was really blown away by. Nothing was bad but the menus were very subdued.
  • The Library Lounge (new bar to me) was a let down. Very boring place and not a huge drink selection.
  • The greens on Bandon Dunes were punched the week before we got there. They were rolling ok and were faster then they looked but still a little disappointing that we played there with punched greens.
  • The greens on Sheep Ranch are the worst on site. So bumpy and uneven. It really did cost our team a few strokes but we were one of the few teams that played pretty well there with Alternate Shot.
  • Only 2 blow up holes for us in the tournament. Ham and egg was engaged but man did we mess up Pacific Dunes #5 (double in scramble) and Sheep Ranch #16 (triple in Alt shot). Those 2 holes left a bad taste in my mouth and really want to have them back.
Overall it was a fantastic experience and I will be back to Bandon Dunes again.

Last funny story. I was in the Bandon Dune pro shop spending my winnings and all of the sudden I heard a loud crash. There was a guy outside on the first tee box waving into the pro shop that he was sorry. He shanked his driver so bad that it hit the pro shop window and shattered the outside glass but not the second pane on the inside. It was the first swing of his stay at Bandon. :ROFLMAO:

1683299955936.png

Bandon Dunes Trip Review

I was recently in the Bandon Dunes Cup which is a 2 man 4 round event that was flighted into 6 flights. It is the 3rd time I have done this tournament and each time it has been awesome. As you can see in the post above this one there is swag involved with the tournament entry. My partner and I won the fourth flight gross which I have also had posts in various threads speaking of that. Here are my thoughts about the resort and how it has changed over the last 12 years since I first visited. This was overall my 5th trip there.

Pros:
  • It is Bandon Freaking Dunes. If as a golfer you can't get excited about going there then I don't know what to tell you.
  • So much has changed since my last visit which was before Sheep Ranch opened. A new course, new lodging, new bar, the restaurant at Old Mac is almost done. Lots of progress and my next trip there will be even more exciting stuff going in.
  • The weather cooperating for the most part as we only got a slight drizzle for about 45 minutes across 5 rounds played. The wind was there but not horrible. There were shots that were affected but nothing that was playing unfair.
  • The Taylormade fitting that was included in the Tournament package was nice. I tried out a lot of equipment that I haven't hit as Taylormade isn't really that high on my list. I am glad I tried some different things and they have some good equipment. There was a 15% off offer for being part of the event and tax free in Oregon with free shipping. Some folks that ordered new clubs got a smoking deal.
  • The range also added a BBQ trailer that sells breakfast and lunch. Very reasonable prices and the food was tasty. Not the best BBQ I have had but a whole lot better than most boiled meat and ketchup places I have tried
  • The tournament organizers were awesome and it was just a sign of all the service we received while we were there. The resort staff and pro shop shop remembered you as you came and went. The caddies were all excellent as well.
  • The tournament included a welcome reception on Sunday (2 free beers), breakfast for 3 days, lunch on our 36 hole day, and an awards reception. Only had to pay for 2 dinners and drinks. Very reasonable.
Cons:
  • There was no food that I was really blown away by. Nothing was bad but the menus were very subdued.
  • The Library Lounge (new bar to me) was a let down. Very boring place and not a huge drink selection.
  • The greens on Bandon Dunes were punched the week before we got there. They were rolling ok and were faster then they looked but still a little disappointing that we played there with punched greens.
  • The greens on Sheep Ranch are the worst on site. So bumpy and uneven. It really did cost our team a few strokes but we were one of the few teams that played pretty well there with Alternate Shot.
  • Only 2 blow up holes for us in the tournament. Ham and egg was engaged but man did we mess up Pacific Dunes #5 (double in scramble) and Sheep Ranch #16 (triple in Alt shot). Those 2 holes left a bad taste in my mouth and really want to have them back.

Last funny story. I was in the Bandon Dune pro shop spending my winnings and all of the sudden I heard a loud crash. There was a guy outside on the first tee box waving into the pro shop that he was sorry. He shanked his driver so bad that it hit the pro shop window and shattered the outside glass but not the second pane on the inside. It was the first swing of his stay at Bandon. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 9176029
Ha ha ha, that takes a serious shank!

The Library Lounge looks like it’s been rebranded as a whiskey bar. Otherwise that one is a niche place where I like to go when I need to get away from all the people and noise. Sounds like that part remains and if you aren’t expecting that, yeah, it would be a let down.

Bandon Dunes Trip Review

Pros:
Cons:

View attachment 9176029
Thanks for sharing!!

Bandon Dunes Trip Review

Pros:
Cons:

View attachment 9176029

How did you enter into this? Is it signups or qualifying?

How did you enter into this? Is it signups or qualifying?

Past participants get the invite mail a few days early and then they open it to the public after that; plus a waiting list. This year there were 12 spots left after past participants signed up.

There is also one in June - 36 / 36; then a summer solstice which is 4 rounds in one day; then an October match play one and a family one.

Summer Solstice is impossible to get in - there are guys on the waiting list for years waiting. The easiest is the match play; This one is the 2nd hardest.

is the par 3 course worth the effort?
Yes. It's a blast. We played it as a warm up our last day before playing the OG Bandon Dunes

It is fun and a good way settle bets. Also watch some videos on it before hand so you know which holes you my take a putter from the tee box as well.

I think you can play the Preserve first for $100 and get your 2nd round on site for half price as a price hack. I read that somewhere but I have never set up rounds there so I can't confirm that.

It is fun and a good way settle bets. Also watch some videos on it before hand so you know which holes you my take a putter from the tee box as well.

I think you can play the Preserve first for $100 and get your 2nd round on site for half price as a price hack. I read that somewhere but I have never set up rounds there so I can't confirm that.
That’s what I did. First round is full price, second round is half off, third round is free! So we played the par 3 course as the second round.

The Preserve is the most fun you will have at Bandon. It is exceptionally well designed and a blast. We played as two six-somes and the level of gambling and smack talk was off the hook! One of my best memories of the trip.

Bandon Dunes Cup 2024 swag.

1000013640.jpg

A sweater and a hoodie, backpack, scorecard holder, flag, and therbody recovery cube (which I already have)

Our team tied for 5th gross and 4th net in our flight. Scramble and alt shot tomorrow will separate teams. Probably the hardest course for alt shot. Old Mac in the afternoon. 😬

3 rounds in and we are looking good to finish in the money. 83 in Alt shot propelled us. 3 birds led to 3 gross and net skins totalling over $1100. Nice

Back