SaffaClint

Reaction score
Handicap
+2.3
I recently got a new pair of Oakley CarbonPro2 shoes and while I loved the original CarbonPro's, these are awful! I've tried wearing them 3 times and every time they have given me massive blisters on my heels. Anyway, this afternoon I headed out and thought I'd give them a final try. One hole in my heels were in agony so I had a choice to make, head back to the car which is up a massive hill or take my shoes off and play barefoot. I chose to play barefoot and loved it. I got some odd looks but quite honestly couldn't have cared less, I'm good like that, lol. I played 18 holes and shot 69 (-2) and my feet feel better than they ever have after a round of golf. Luckily our course is fairly damp and the grass is lush so it's easy on the feet.
Have you ever played barefoot and how did you get on?

I've done it once when I forgot my golf shoes and wore flops to the course. I actually enjoyed it except for one hole that had these everywhere:

Sweetgum_Seed_closeup.jpg

I've done it once when I forgot my golf shoes and wore flops to the course. I actually enjoyed it except for one hole that had these everywhere:

Sweetgum_Seed_closeup.jpg

Oh crap, not fun!

I've done it on more than a few occasions and I really enjoy it when I can make it happen. Something about the grass under your feet or sand between you toes to make you feel connected to the course. Its not always appropriate, but it does feel fantastic.

Rumor was Sam Snead would do this occasionally during the off seasons . Helped with his stability I guess

I've played barefoot once, and I loved it!

I'd bought Nike Heritage golf shoes, and after walking around the range and hitting some balls, decided to leave my Adizero's in the car and wear them on the course. Bad choice. After 3 holes my heels were blistered, and my toes were killing me. Walking to the car wasn't an option, as it was a 35 minute walk back, so I decided to play barefoot until the turn, then run back to the car to get my old ones.

I don't know if it was the beautiful parkland course or the barefoot golf, but I was feeling really relaxed, and was playing pretty well on the front 9. I never went back to the car and finished my round without shoes, posting a personal best of 94 that round. Unfortunately, the rules on the courses I most often play specifically prohibit not wearing shoes, and they enforce the dress code, otherwise I'd definitely do it more often.

Great round BTW!

I will play occasionally barefoot if the course allows. It's a fun way to play.

I don't think I would since I don't know very much about the chemicals used on the grasses. I just don't want to take a chance with growth regulators, fertilizers, and week killers.

I've tried it in the distant past for a few holes, shoe just disintegrated on me IIRC. Felt a bit shorter, slipped a bit but didn't hit the ball that badly once I reigned it in a bit.
I wouldn't make a habit of it, because of chemicals, goose crap, and I don't spend enough time barefoot elsewhere to have built up any real callus on my feet. Just too tender.

Does standing in a water hazard count? Honestly the sound of playing barefoot is something I would like trying.

Living and playing in the northeast of Scotland, this isn't really an option very often I'm afraid!

One of my lowest rounds in college was actually played barefoot. It works wonders on helping you stay balanced throughout the swing, I still sometimes do it as a practice drill

not quite barefoot but any positive experiences with golf sandals? I've often toyed with the idea as my footwear of choice in the summers are Teva's.

I've actually done it this year. Started when I was having some fun at the MC with my teammates on the 17th hole at True Blue. We were supposed to play that day, but the rain kept us from doing so. Late in the afternoon we went out to the fairway and hit some shots. Well at first I had sneakers on, and the first swing I took I almost fell flat on my face. After that swing I took them off and hit shot barefoot. It was interesting. I hit nothing but good shots, and I could actually feel myself getting through the ball and transferring my weight(which is a huge problem for me). Anyway, fast forward to a scramble I was playing in a couple of weeks later. I wasn't hitting it all too well. So I decided to take my shoes off and play without them. Call it coincidence, but I started to hit it better. I've gone to the range a few times and swung without shoes on since. I ended up picking up a pair of FootJoy M shoes as they gave me some of that same feel.

Those 7 irons you hit on Friday barefoot were way better than the saturday ones you hit from what I've heard

Those 7 irons you hit on Friday barefoot were way better than the saturday ones you hit from what I've heard

definitely better than the last 2. And it's because it was with your irons.

I love my Vibram 5fingers because of this and they add protection with out loosing feel

No, I haven't. But I played with a guy who did. He was... odd... in other ways too.

I also once played with a guy who was late for our tee time. He teed off on No. 1 barefoot, but put on his shoes as we were walking down No. 1 fairway.

....Have you ever played barefoot and how did you get on?

My frat brothers used to play barefoot all the time. I never have and more than likely never will. I know most courses would think of it as non proper golf attire.

Never tried it and not sure I want. I'd be afraid to step on something. Only guy I've seen do it is Jim McMahon in the Lake Tahoe event.

A couple of years ago, the wife and I made a trip to the Moon Palace in Mexico. While playing there a huge rainstorm blew through. It only lasted about 30 minutes and we had taken shelter at a "Bohio" on the 3rd hole. When the storm passed, we continued our round. Every dip, dive and depression in the somewhat flatish course was filled with 2 - 5 inches of water. I ended up taking off my shoes and socks and playing barefooted for 14 holes. The weather was warm, no wind, the water in the giant puddles was warm, so we just played them as casual water and took our drops. Some of those puddles were 15-20 feet in diameter, so it made for an interesting round. That was the only time I have every played bare footed.

I've never played barefoot, but have walked on a course barefoot before. I would love to try it though. Something about the feeling of the grass between your toes, can't beat it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

too much fertilizer on a golf course for me to go barefoot

too much fertilizer on a golf course for me to go barefoot
Honestly, there's probably worse things growing inside your shoes than a little fertilizer on the grass. Although southern grasses have some painful things hiding amongst the blades of grass

I wouldn't play barefoot all the time but I'll certainly be doing it again. Feeling the right nice in the swing and having to swing easy so as not to slip helps immensely.

Back