nickyt17

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I've been reading the site for the while but just recently signed up. I'm kinda new to golf. I played a little in high school, stopped for college and just got back into it last year more consistently.

So my question is what do you think is a good ball for a beginner to start out with. Lately I've just been paying friends for one or two of theirs so i could try out as many kinds as possible. I hit fairly long (280 drives) but not very accurate. Where should I begin? I don't want to end up buying 40$ dozens only to find out they're way too advanced. Any help is greatly appreciated

I would focus on your swing first and not worry about what type of balls you play. Focus on getting down a consistent swing that works for you. Once you have that down, I would then focus on balls and equipment. At least thats what I did. I just last year started focusing on which balls to use and that has helped improve but when you are starting out, you are going to lose alot of balls. Rather it be cheap balls than expensive ones.

check out the bridgestone e series. Surely they will have something that fits your game.

I went through a similar process last year and just went through Titleist lower end balls, DT solo, then the NXT and then the NXT Tour but from being on here I have discovered far more information about golf balls than is probably healthy and just think you need to try a few and see what feels good. If you're spraying balls off the drive then you probably want a ball with lower side spin

Do a quick Google search for "polara Thehackersparadise", youll be amazed at what you find!

If you're not hitting very accurately yet, you have to consider your playing partners and the groups playing behind you. You don't want to be tying them up for 10 minutes cause you hit into the crap and don't want to lose a $4 ball. One good option is used balls, gives you the opportunity to try a bunch and see which you like best.

Hey guys, so I've been reading the site for the while but just recently signed up. I'm kinda new to golf. I played a little in high school, stopped for college and just got back into it last year more consistently.

So my question is what do you think is a good ball for a beginner to start out with. Lately I've just been paying friends for one or two of theirs so i could try out as many kinds as possible. I hit fairly long (280 drives) but not very accurate. Where should I begin? I don't want to end up buying 40$ dozens only to find out they're way too advanced. Any help is greatly appreciated

An inexpensive ball with great qualities would be the Bridgestone E series or the Srixon Q-star. They perform well off the driver as well as around the greens. Wilson also has some good lower tier balls as does Callaway. Good luck with your search

nickyt, I agree with the above about worrying about working on your swing basics first and worrying about the right ball later. In the meantime, if you want to keep cost down on the balls, try the TopFlite Gamer. It has very good reviews (try a google on it). I have played it and it is a very good inexpensive ball.

If you're not hitting very accurately yet, you have to consider your playing partners and the groups playing behind you. You don't want to be tying them up for 10 minutes cause you hit into the crap and don't want to lose a $4 ball. One good option is used balls, gives you the opportunity to try a bunch and see which you like best.

I like this answer, think about your playing partners and just try out the used balls until you become more consistent.

Thanks for everyones help! I'm focusing on my swing a lot actually as I started lessons a few weeks ago. I've tried mostly top flites, maxflis, and a few callaways, titleists, and pinnacles. Sounds like a lot of you guys like bridgestones so I think I'll give them a shot next. Thanks!

Bridgestone e6 + Lessons.

nickyt, I agree with the above about worrying about working on your swing basics first and worrying about the right ball later. In the meantime, if you want to keep cost down on the balls, try the TopFlite Gamer. It has very good reviews (try a google on it). I have played it and it is a very good inexpensive ball.

+1 Great price and they work great. I use them for Fall Leaf Golf. I figure if i loose them I'm not loosing a bunch of $$$

Do a quick Google search for "polara Thehackersparadise", youll be amazed at what you find!

They sound awesome but I don't know how I'd feel about a ball that is that big of a factor in it's flight. I may have to get a few to show up a few of my friends though haha

There are some great inexpensive balls out there. Bridgestone E6/E5 come to mind. Two other great balls though for the dollar Srixon AD333 and Wilson Staff 50 if available in your area. Pinnacle Exception are an early model Pro V1. I'll find out where my coach still finds them in the States.

Alex

Buy recycled balls, not refurbished. Refurbished balls are painted to make them look better, you don't want that. Top Flites are fine for beginners, they go a long way and don't add to the side spin you will get off a bad swing like a higher spin ball would. A really good ball that is a little more expensive is one of the Bridgestone 'e' series balls, probably e6 would be a good place to start.

When I started out I went through quite a few different balls.... slazenger raw distance (they feel like a rock) and a few other cheap brand balls they all felt like rocks then I found the Nike pd-soft it has a good feel off of the driver irons and putter and is very cheap so you don't have to feel bad when you loose one. It goes pretty straight and has enough backspin on the green for a beginner.

Buy recycled balls, not refurbished. Refurbished balls are painted to make them look better, you don't want that. Top Flites are fine for beginners, they go a long way and don't add to the side spin you will get off a bad swing like a higher spin ball would. A really good ball that is a little more expensive is one of the Bridgestone 'e' series balls, probably e6 would be a good place to start.

I'm sure theres another post on this (if not multiple) but favorite place to get good quality recycled balls?

Check out rockbottomgolf.com

RBG is great, and ebay has a lot of listings........

Check out rockbottomgolf.com

Figures... I saw them at a golf convention not too long ago but there was huge line to get into their section and an even bigger line to the register. I'll check their site out today

I'm sure theres another post on this (if not multiple) but favorite place to get good quality recycled balls?

You can buy recycled balls at Walmart, Dicks, Sports Authority, Target, almost anywhere golf stuff is sold. I don't buy recycled balls except to stock up on practice balls for the back yard once every couple of years so I really don't have a favorite place.

Try the Noodle+ Long and Soft. They are an inexpensive ball and I have found them to be very straight. I use them to tee off with in scrambles and in places where I am liable to lose a more expensive ball.

as a beginner golfer myself im in your shoes. I choose the TopFlite Gamer V2s. You can find them on ebay for $10 shipped! Great balls and cheap!

I haven't tried the TF Gamer balls but TF's always felt like rocks to me. As does most "distance" balls. I hate that feeling. Might as well go grab some range balls.

The Bridgestone e series are very good. But you might not want to spend even that much starting out.

I tell beginners to get LOW compression balls. Maybe even use "women's golf balls" for a while.

Back