Best players distance iron

Templet0n

washed...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
snow..
While there is really no best. So, what is your fav in this category and why?

i think it's srixon zx5 for me

I have a lot of experience with the new Callaway Apex Pro, and I think it's a contender in this category. Why?

• Feel is very comparable to the CB's, and this is a huge compliment.
  • Consistency is fantastic, both in terms of distance and #'s
  • Low on the face forgiveness is a strong suit
  • Long irons are so much fun!

Taylormade P770

I have a lot of experience with the new Callaway Apex Pro, and I think it's a contender in this category. Why?

• Feel is very comparable to the CB's, and this is a huge compliment.
  • Consistency is fantastic, both in terms of distance and #'s
  • Low on the face forgiveness is a strong suit
  • Long irons are so much fun!
Question: If the Pros are in this category, the what are the standard Apex? They're not G.I.

Since I just bought Mizuno 245s, I'll throw them into the ring.

#2 is the 2022 Cobra Tec irons (not the X version)

Question: If the Pros are in this category, the what are the standard Apex? They're not G.I.
Good question. I'm going off what I've seen them categorized elsewhere, but not sure how they all fall in line

ZX5

The Caley Golf irons that have foam in them

Other than that, it has to be P790 right? I feel like they kind of invented this category

what's the difference between a players iron and a GI iron? Serious question how do YOU define them?

The Caley Golf irons that have foam in them

Other than that, it has to be P790 right? I feel like they kind of invented this category
Chris Pratt Oh Snap GIF

what's the difference between a players iron and a GI iron? Serious question how do YOU define them?
Good queestion! For me, I would say an iron that has the soft feel of a forged blade, thinner sole and top line than chunky GI irons, faster ball speeds than blades while maintaining a slightly weak loft, and last but not least more forgiveness on mishits.

I think this category is stockpiled with good options. ZX5 MKII is so well rounded it's hard to go against it. P790 is a staple, Paradym offers easy launch and distance, and T200 is so much improved from the previous line. The one I'm curious about for 2023 is Mizuno 245.

I bag some Cleveland HB hybrid irons, my brother games some 2019 P790s. He has hit my clubs on the launch monitor for grins, and at his 90 MPH driver swing speed (throttle that down for irons accordingly), there is not a spit of difference between the P790s and the hybrids. Same ball speed down to within 1 MPH, same launch angle to within 1 degree, spin is within a couple hundred RPM.

The P790s are literally stealth SGI clubs.

i think it's srixon zx5 for me
That was my immediate thought. It sets up very nicely at address. Doesn't feel big or clunky. The VT sole is so freaking good and just glides through the turf. It's tough to beat in this category imo.

Since I just bought Mizuno 245s, I'll throw them into the ring.

#2 is the 2022 Cobra Tec irons (not the X version)
What makes Apex not GI?

Mizuno. JPX 923 Forged. Distance, control and forged Mizuno feel. HMP would come in 2nd , and may by some be considered a true players distance iron. Both of them gave me my beyond a doubt most consistent numbers in dispersion on both axis compared to Titleist and Callaway offerings in a recent sim test. Thinking about that real hard......

Last edited:
I find it so interesting that Srixon ZX5 are distance irons (as confirmed by their website haha)

For me it never felt that way, as I'd always reach for the 4's for a bit more easy distance. Always thought of the 5s as a step toward forgiveness with spin friendly profile logic in place, kind of like Mizuno 243 or Forged, etc.

I love how muddied these categories are getting.

I would have to go PTx Pro based on experience. Wilson Dynapower Forged might make some waves in this category in the upcoming season.

I find this conversation fascinating so thanks THPers for the good thread.

P790 as the creator of the space? Cobra and Callaway both came prior.

Zx5 here? It’s the same size as AeroJet was last year so not sure.

I think that goes back to my feeling about categories, and how much I struggle with them as the lines are so blurred

PTx Pro? There is nothing distance about them

Give me ZX5 for the spin profile, forgiveness, and sole design.

Back