Biggest surprise in your equipment.

Pops

Formerly Bbutler
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What would be a big surprise in something you bought that you were not expecting. For me it’s the shaft in my new TSR2 driver. Was fit into the TSR2 with a Ventus red TR shaft. I order new TSR2 so I have to choose a stock shaft to come in it. I look thru the options having some experience with hzrdus I pick the new Gen 4 CB 50 red. Not really even planning to play it. My Ventus doesn’t arrive at the same time so l play a sim round with the Hzrdus red. All I can say is wow. The Hzrdus red may easily stand up to the Ventus. Had the Ventus arrived the same day I might not have even tried the hzrdus shaft. IMG_8495.png

I’m not real sure anything has surprised me. I’ve been fit into everything in my bag except for the putter and knew what I was getting when I purchased everything.

How forgiving the rogue st max irons are. I can hit a shot I think is going to be terrible and it ends up pretty decent.

Another is the kbs putter shaft, I didn't think the shaft would change much but my putting has improved so much with that thing.

Mine has been how much of a difference maker a hybrid makes.

First year I couldn't hit one to save my soul - now that I can I feel more confident in my long game.

STG 230 3 wood is currently blowing my mind. I have always been awful with fairway woods. I’ve never been able to hit them off the deck.

I am absolutely smoking this thing off the deck and off the tee. It is a freaking rocket launcher that give me an incredible penetrating ball flight that’s going exactly where I want it to. Since returning home with it I’ve gotten on 2 different par 5 greens in two that I have t ever reached before.

It sounds amazing too.

Picking one is tough because I saw substantial improvement in a couple of areas but I’ll go with the AJ irons. The SBx wedges and AJs were bigger surprises than I thought they might be. My approaches from 50 to 200 improved massively over last year. The 12° driver would be next. Those are from my MC bag.

If it has to be something I actually bought, I’d go with the Chrome Soft X-LS. Fantastic ball.

That I haven't hacksawed it all into small chunks.

That I’m currently playing A15, and by choice/performance.

How at ease the Aerojet Max Driver has made me feel on the tee box. Before I would worry about a two way miss, i'd hit these nasty hooks one shot and horrible slices the next, but I'm seeing very little of either with the Max Driver. It has made keeping a tension free swing pretty easy in that I believe it is going where i'm intending it to, and 90% of the time it does just that, and the distance bump i'm seeing doesn't hurt either.

i've been surprised by how much i've loved the kbs $ taper shaft in my irons. i spent WAY too much money getting fit over the last couple years, only to find the best performance with a stock steel shaft.

Vokey wedges. I was a Cleveland 588 fan for quite awhile. Bought a used 52* because it was stupid cheap and hardly hit. First couple swings were just some yard balls and I loved the feel. Then the head to head battle started and I was sold big time. Big fan of the wedgeflex which I think is a softstepped S200 or something. One led to four and I’m hooked.

I mean, it’s not some grand discovery or anything. But I was pleasantly surprised.

That my best driver fit is an 8 degree pro head, with sliding weight set all the way to draw even though I mostly play a baby fade with it and hit it plenty high. Never would have bought that head or loft that low on my own without the fitting.

The playability of "Players Irons". I didn't expect to have the success I had this year with something I initially thought was going to be very unforgiving.

Two things.
#1 how horrible the feel is out of the Vokey SM9 wedges. Down right atrocious and hard. My previous set of Kirkland wedges has a much better and softer feel.
#2 how much i Like the Maxfli Tour line of golf balls. So great performance and feel, and the prices is excellent.

How much I am enjoying the feel of the Mitsubishi TENSEI AV Red AM2 in my new Titleist irons, have only played graphite in irons once before. Also, the improved distance and forgiveness of the new Titleist T200s and T350s.

In my equipment I think the biggest surprise is how much the little things matter. Swing weighted clubs changed my delivery a little to be more square through the ball with my path. Lie angle could be a bit too upright. Maybe 1* if I’m guessing. But combined with a less in to out path it’s starting left going left a good amount. Those things seemed too small for a mid cap to worry about.

The Cobra snakebite wedges. I would put them up against any wedge on the market today. I think if they were tested blind, they would be in the top 3 of wedges picked. They are very good looking, but still give you the forgiveness you need sometimes.

After trying countless things over the years, getting fit, and hearing information from THP and direct from the OEM, nothing really shocks me of my current equipment. Everything kinda makes sense.

currently no real surprises for me.

I'd say that it's my 9W. Somehow I'd gotten it in my head that Callaway was a lot more forgiving than other OEMs. Yeah, it's all advertising I know but the more I hit my 9W the more I think that PING is a better fit for my swing and game.

Comparing the G425 against the rest of my woods in my ST-Z 190, BB21, Rogue, and Mavrik, it's the better club. At least it is in that size. I'm looking to try out the G430 line and hopefully see even better results. The rest work, don't get me wrong but it seems to work better.

How good the tour edge woods are is another 1. Surprised me so much.

Back