Bobby Jones Blackbird FW Wood - THP TV Preview

THP Preview thread on this will be coming soon.
Lots of great stuff coming on this fairway wood.

THP Preview thread on this will be coming soon.
Lots of great stuff coming on this fairway wood.

This is really really exciting. Since the show these have been stuck in my head of curiosity.

Awesome to hear there'll be some in hand feedback on this one soon

This is really really exciting. Since the show these have been stuck in my head of curiosity.

I really want to hit them. Give me that 17 degree with all that tech packed in. Happy Camper.

THP brought some great information to us from the PGA show and really want to see how this one stacks up to others in the FW group.

6eru6uga.jpg

just the one I asked for!

Well, I see a club that might get a little use this weekend. Boomchakalaka.

Nice, looking forward to the thoughts on this.

This FW has grown on me since the show pics and interview. Looking forward to seeing how this one pans out in testing.

JM

Extremely envious right now, its an ideal loft too. Cannot wait for feedback from this weekend!

I know they hybrid is getting some great reviews from this past weekend. Any thoughts on the fairway?

I know they hybrid is getting some great reviews from this past weekend. Any thoughts on the fairway?

Get out of my head sir.

Awesome bump, was curious about this as well since the hybrid was the talk of the weekend

Some really interesting things in the Bobby Jones FAQ's which appear to be written by Jessie Ortiz. He thinks 17* is a magical club and does not make a 5 wood on purpose. Also thinks the 3-wood is the most important club in the game today.

http://www.bobbyjones.com/bobby-jones-black-fa-qs/

Yes, coming soon and I know Hawk will have a lot of thoughts on this one soon. He hit this thing so freaking well this past weekend.

Some really interesting things in the Bobby Jones FAQ's which appear to be written by Jessie Ortiz. He thinks 17* is a magical club and does not make a 5 wood on purpose. Also thinks the 3-wood is the most important club in the game today.

http://www.bobbyjones.com/bobby-jones-black-fa-qs/

That is the one we tested this weekend and its solid.

I can't wait. That 17 is calling my name

Guys, I'll update soon on this. Probably tomorrow. Just got home and really don't want to Tapatalk my thoughts. It was equally as good as the hybrid. Mind blowing if you've seen me hit a fairway wood off the turf before.

See my hybrid post for a pretty similar representation to what I saw with this. To me, they pretty much performed identically, which I think says a lot considering this is a fairway wood.

A couple things though. If you've seen me hit a fairway wood off the turf, you'll know that height is a huge issue for me, as is just making good contact. Not just big height, but I mean just not hitting 20 foot line drives, which I can do pretty easily. I've never hit a ball with the height I saw from this fairway wood - ever. Never ever.

The shot that just keeps coming back to me was a long par 5 at Sarasota National. For those unfamilar with the course, there is generally fairway surrounded either by 'natural areas' or mounds covered with pine straw. I pushed a drive into the pine straw on the side of one of the mounds, so the ball was above my feet. I needed to get a pretty good shot out there, as hitting the pine straw and the big push left me pretty far back. This is the perfect time for me to make a really dumb decision, which I think I still probably made if we take the club out of the equation. Hitting a fairway wood from a side hill pine straw lie? Dumb. But, it wasn't. I popped the ball out and it took off on the same wacky high trajectory and settled dead center in the fairway for a pretty easy approach shot into the green.

The height made it more susceptible to wind than I normally see with a fairway wood, but in the end that didn't matter. Much more reliable to hit a ball in the air, as it doesn't go screaming off line when you miss.

Between the two clubs, this may be an even bigger game changer for me. I've pretty much given up the idea of anything lower than a 5w for my bag because of trajectory and forgiveness issues. Even a standard 5w has been sort of hit and miss for me this year. Actually being able to grab a 4w and swing it like it's going to go somewhere with consistency is a big freaking deal for me. With that, I'll quit the gushing by saying - I don't really gush or fall in love with golf clubs. Yay. I can't wait to get this back out on my home turf to see what happens. Can think of a few holes right now that it would be huge for me to have this in the bag.

Gosh dangit Hawk.

I like easy height, thats a HUGE deal to me.

Best fairway wood I have ever seen Hawk hit.

Loving what I hear Hawk. The 3 and 4 wood spot in my bag is something that is always a spot I look at for the year. I go through spurts when I hit something good and then hit it poorly. Of course I blame the club and not me. But this sounds pretty promising. Gives some good height and can be hit from uneven lies without any problems. I like it.

Gosh dangit Hawk.

I like easy height, thats a HUGE deal to me.

Makes me think of how you describe the tight lies in ways.

You remember what I hit off the tee with the Covert 2.0 right? I hit this probably 1/3 higher off the turf. Mind blowing.

Loving what I hear Hawk. The 3 and 4 wood spot in my bag is something that is always a spot I look at for the year. I go through spurts when I hit something good and then hit it poorly. Of course I blame the club and not me. But this sounds pretty promising. Gives some good height and can be hit from uneven lies without any problems. I like it.

I'm a big 'it's the swing' guy and the advice I give people will typically be pretty conservative as to what a golf club can/will do. I know why I hit balls the trajectory I do and what I need to do to change that. However, some things are just the way they are. I am probably going to be a shallower guy as long as I play golf and I'm not sure I'll ever have the time to thoroughly change that. I asked JB a few times (regarding the hybrid) "Why do I hit this so much better than a 7 iron?" I just couldn't wrap my head around it, because I don't always believe a club can make that sort of difference.

That is flat out exciting.

Makes me think of how you describe the tight lies in ways.

You remember what I hit off the tee with the Covert 2.0 right? I hit this probably 1/3 higher off the turf. Mind blowing.

Me too, easy off the deck, truly. I've started to realize how much of an asset that can be for me. I hope this is better off the tee though.

1/3 higher is incredible.

Back