Breaking Down Ballyhack Hole #1

On this hole what would you get?

• Total voters
First time I played #1, I hit the fairway and still managed to card a double bogey 🤣 Misjudged my approach shot and made a mess out of the rough. Second round, I veered off to the right, but was able to get my approach shot within 15 ft and two-putted for par.

The landing area is actually pretty flat to the tee box. I went one up to ~350 yds. Getting across the hazard it is downhill but the getting to the landing zone is on the same plane. The approach shot is the more worrying elevation change.

View attachment 9253394
Seeing this, as long as wind isn't in my face, it's a 4i off the tee all day.

How severe downhill is the tee shot and approach? For a 400 yard hole, I see a few posts about using a long iron off the tee to give them 100-125 yards in?

Love the breakdown...only wish I could be there.
I can tell you, we have never played it from the back tees before in Experience that I can recall

I think a bogie is what I'd shoot on average. I would not hit driver and probably keep it in play, but the green could be an issue with putting if I am not close. More often than not, I'd be scrambling for par and end up 2 putting for the 5. it is the first hole, too, which is not the best hole of the day.

I can tell you, we have never played it from the back tees before in Experience that I can recall
Just Gavin right?

@JB do we know which tee set we'll be playing?

i am assuming the 280yds distance in the video to the bunker/end of the fairway is from the "Big Lick" tees (green/tips). at that distance i'm at no fear of hitting through the fairway and it's driver all day...but it we're playing the "Ballyhack" tees (blue) then this hole is 50 yards shorter and that is suddenly trouble at only 230yds and definitely in my wheelhouse with the driver. in that case i'm probably going 3w and try for a cut up the left side or 7w with a draw if there's a tailwind.

The landing area is actually pretty flat to the tee box. I went one up to ~350 yds. Getting across the hazard it is downhill but the getting to the landing zone is on the same plane. The approach shot is the more worrying elevation change.

View attachment 9253394
That is a great way of looking at it.

I would go with my 5 wood then the appropriate iron in. That green is brutal looking if you are short though.

Going off @echico's diagram, it's a 5W off the tee for me to have the best chance for a good yardage to the center.

I'm hoping a driver in play then wedge. Looks tight but says generous landing area. Maybe 3 iron.

@JB do we know which tee set we'll be playing?

i am assuming the 280yds distance in the video to the bunker/end of the fairway is from the "Big Lick" tees (green/tips). at that distance i'm at no fear of hitting through the fairway and it's driver all day...but it we're playing the "Ballyhack" tees (blue) then this hole is 50 yards shorter and that is suddenly trouble at only 230yds and definitely in my wheelhouse with the driver. in that case i'm probably going 3w and try for a cut up the left side or 7w with a draw if there's a tailwind.
We will not be playing from the tips, I can guarantee that

I hate this hole lol

Probably going 3w off the tee which should keep me in a good spot. Then hope for the best on that approach.

We will not be playing from the tips, I can guarantee that
I don't get to pick, but I agree.

That's one way to make sure we all have a terrible pace of play.

I'm still thinking on this hole, being in the second to last group to go is going to make club choice really not fun watching the results in front of us.

I'm thinking 4/5 iron or 3 hybrid depending on wind but I'm also going to have to figure out yardages Saturday/Sunday morning coming from 5280 real damn quick. That and knowing my 1st tee miss on most rounds I'll have to aim right and hope it ends up safe on the left side 🤣

Second shot I'm liking the talk of right side bail out, aim for the middle of the green and if it's short maybe a chip to a back pin if it's there first round?

I haven't voted yet but I'm probably leaning net bogey to start round and work on putting it behind me.

Man tough hole here. I would be 100% playing off the tee to try and get the best second shot yardage.

Hybrid off the tee I'm thinking?
You can get away with that. I went driver and I went 5w and neither went well. I went long on the approach both times and killed any chance of saving a par

Bogey because that was my best score.

The tee shot can be intimidating but if you're in the fairway you are good. I will say CPO made it tough because we had to carry 3 or so clubs down to the fairway. Your approach needs to be fairly accurate because it's semi blind. Left is death and long is ugly. Short the ball hits the slope back down and right you can end up in trouble. The tee shot on this hole gave me struggles.

To this day, I can't believe I was so happy with my tee shot here on the final day, with groups watching. I expected more personal puckering :ROFLMAO:. Probably got lucky that I was hitting my hybrids very well that week, so this hole and 14 weren't as daunting as they probably should have been because everything fit distance wise for what I would have preferred to hit anyway.

On top of that not-easy tee shot, I found this to be a VERY difficult approach/green that ate me up, bad. Our forecaddie was so nice and helpful as I played in the sand for a very long time and eventually picked it up haha. At least for me, the green felt like a small target here.

Also had one of my favorite moments on 1, after the aforementioned tee shot that found the right side of the fairway. I could be wrong on the exact numbers, but our forecaddie came over and offered some helpful bits and said "OK, you're got 175." The ball was above my feet (which I'm so darn bad with), and I just totally put a terrible swing on it. The ball went a few yards forward and then spun back, maybe 2-3 feet in front of where it started. He had barely wheeled away and I called out "OK, so 174 now?" Ya gotta be able to laugh at yourself, I guess.

It's pretty diabolical as an opening hole, but I really enjoyed it. It being 1 adds a little aura to the teeth of Ballyhack.

Back