Bridgestone J40 Review - THP Demo Day - Full Line

Quoting for the page rape..

I know Hanks knows of the love affair that I have with the J40 CB's. This is the sole iron I had to hit this weekend. And i was so sad and upset when it began to rain during the chipping contest because I hadn't hit it yet and figured my chance was gone. So in the pouring rain, Yoccos (i think) said here go hit it. So off into the rain I went with the 7-iron on a Project X 5.5 Flighted shaft with a stock grip. Oh man, was I loving it. The ball flight was a little high for me, and the shaft felt soft to me but the feel from the CB's was sunshine in the rain. Looks wise they have the right amount of off-set, a nice thin top-line which I like, a narrow sole and pleasing hitting area to help with alignment. But the star of the show with these is the feel. What a great feeling iron! For them to call it a cavity back is really a lie, there very little cavity to it. Its more like a perimeter weighted muscle back. It has this lovely weighted triangle on the back that produces nice weighing down low in the head and I could almost feel it push the head through the turf cleanly. This weighting appears to get a little wider and taller on the scoring clubs, but seem to achieve the same swing weight through the set. Exiting cleanly from a shot it does, the small relief on the trailing edge of the sole does wonders for allowing the head to exit cleanly. Felt like i lost very little to no club head speed entering and exiting the turf. The ball was workable, I could control the flight if I wanted, I do what ever I wanted to the ball with this club. So what was it going to be like if I get it on the toe you ask? Forgivness you wouldn't expect. The preimeter weighting that they included allow for solid contact still, no twisting of the club and very little harsh feedback. You can feel it on the toe, but doesn't twist and sting your hands on them. I still felt that it stayed close to on the target line and wouldn't get me in trouble. A little thin? Still gets up and very little harshness. Can you tell I like these yet?

I would love to try these out with a KBS C-Taper Stiff. The stock Project X Flighted are nice, and the feel wasnt bad, but they did feel a little soft to me. I think in a Flighted 6.0 I would consider them a closer fit, but I like a constant taper shaft as that is what I have played for the last 12-13 years.

Agreed Freddie (lol I wasnt really puring that much until you showed me the whats up with my swing!!), the 3,4 with the CB wouldve been a lot for anyone and I agree with you there completely. The other thing I should mention was how much the shaft pairing played a role. I think if you're gonna go with a "players" iron but have too stiff a shaft, it could be disastrous. Bridgestone did a tremendous job pairing the PX flighted with these clubs.

Agreed! The PX flighted shaft played a huge role in my gaming these in the bag. I was never a big fan of them, but having these shafts in there really work nice.

Agreed Freddie (lol I wasnt really puring that much until you showed me the whats up with my swing!!), the 3,4 with the CB wouldve been a lot for anyone and I agree with you there completely. The other thing I should mention was how much the shaft pairing played a role. I think if you're gonna go with a "players" iron but have too stiff a shaft, it could be disastrous. Bridgestone did a tremendous job pairing the PX flighted with these clubs.

I agree. I think Bridgestone did a great job with the shafts. I currently use Rifle 6.0s in my Mizunos. The clubs seem heavy and bulky. The Rifle 6.0 Flighted shafts are a totally different story. It all just came together.

Major props to Bridgestone for sending so many iron sets with different shafts. You should have seen everyone frantically trying to put together complete sets with matching shafts at the end of demo day. It was a very popular line.

How do you feel C-Tapers would perform in these? You got alot more use from them then I did.

How do you feel C-Tapers would perform in these? You got alot more use from them then I did.

Hard to say really. Watching you hit the PX, Im not sure Id vary from it but if you wanted a lower flight I think the C Tapers could do that for ya. I think you hit these extremely well.

I agree. I think Bridgestone did a great job with the shafts. I currently use Rifle 6.0s in my Mizunos. The clubs seem heavy and bulky. The Rifle 6.0 Flighted shafts are a totally different story. It all just came together.

Major props to Bridgestone for sending so many iron sets with different shafts. You should have seen everyone frantically trying to put together complete sets with matching shafts at the end of demo day. It was a very popular line.

It sure was! They really did a fantastic job of making sure THP was hooked up for the demo day.

Agreed! The PX flighted shaft played a huge role in my gaming these in the bag. I was never a big fan of them, but having these shafts in there really work nice.

Man, you hit the DPC's so well.
Quoting for the page rape..

J40 4W
PX 6.0 shaft

Going into Friday, I had recently ordered this exact club except with the PX 5.5 shaft not having yet previously hit it. I was definitely anxious to hit it.

Looks: classic mid sized fairway wood with a solid black head in a traditional shape. It had the stock BStone grip and the pretty good looking blue PX shaft with a flame like design.

Performance: I had no issues hitting this both off of the deck and off the tee. I was a little apprehensive about this being a really good fairway finder for me off the tee because I was afraid the 16* head might launch a little high. That was simply not the case. Both off of the tee and deck I was seeing a mid ball flight with a penetrating trajectory, very similar to the trajectory of the driver, but a tad higher off of the deck. It appeared to be getting out there in the 210-220 range if I had to guess but I will be getting out with it again soon to nail that distance down a bit more.

Overall: love the classic look and I think the 4W is the perfect combo club for both off of the tee and deck as it gives adequate distance for both while still easy to hit off of the deck. I look forward to spending more time with it on the course and being able to elaborate a little more.

All right that does it...I have been trying to avoid this club but now I am going to have to force myself to suffer and go hit this dang thing. Nice write up there man!!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Reading these review makes me wish for 2 things:

1) That I could have been at the demo day, just to hit the Bridgestone lineup. Been eyeing them for a while.

2) That there was a dealer in my area that actually carried them for to try. I can order them from 3 or 4 different dealers, I think, but none of them ever have any in stock.

These are some great reviews by everyone. Thanks for posting them for those of us that can't make it to the weekends!

Before the i20s came along I was ready to jump into the DPCs + SCORs. DPCs seem like a great iron. Bridgestone makes a nice tight lineup and I'd love to one day see them expand their offerings.

Back