Build an "I Suck" Bag

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I've had this idea going through my head for 2024. It's nothing groundbreaking, but I am trying to redefine what a golf bag looks like for me. I'm trying to look at my weaknesses and find ways to mitigate them in the hope that I can make the game a little easier.

We all suck in different ways, so make it personal to making your game easier.

Here's mine.

• Driver - Darkspeed Max with the 12g weight in the back. My big complaint with ultra-forgiving drivers is the draw bias and this may be the ticket.
  • Fairway - None, because fairway woods can suck it.
  • *NOT* a fairway wood - Cleveland Hy-Wood 3+ and 4+
  • Hybrids - Dump the 4h, add a 5h and 6h. Contenders in my mind based off past success are Cleveland Halo XL, though Tour Edge Hot Launch could be a sneaky option. Not looking for max distance here. High and easy is what I want.
  • Irons - 7-PW Wilson Dynapower Forged with F3 Dart 90's. This will maintain my internet golfer cred.
  • Wedges - CBX4 50/54/58
  • Putter - Whatever. Not convinced it matters.
The fun thing about this setup is it gives me space for a bonus club, which would be:

Smart Sole L Wedge. The 64 would give me an easy high and soft option and get more use than another long club.

So is the idea here that we stop trying to convince ourselves we don't have weaknesses and then build a bag that actually suits us?

• Staff
So is the idea here that we stop trying to convince ourselves we don't have weaknesses and then build a bag that actually suits us?
To the fullest extent possible 😂

My current bag is pretty much this!

A fitter would probably tell me due to my low launch and spin i should switch my 4 iron from the T150 to another U505

He would tell me that only once. And then wake up in a ditch.

I already have most of this bag. I guess I could go with hybrid irons from the 7 through the gap wedge. I could throw in the Smart Sole SW and a Broomstick putter.

I've had this idea going through my head for 2024. It's nothing groundbreaking, but I am trying to redefine what a golf bag looks like for me. I'm trying to look at my weaknesses and find ways to mitigate them in the hope that I can make the game a little easier.

We all suck in different ways, so make it personal to making your game easier.

Here's mine.

• Driver - Darkspeed Max with the 12g weight in the back. My big complaint with ultra-forgiving drivers is the draw bias and this may be the ticket.
  • Fairway - None, because fairway woods can suck it.
  • *NOT* a fairway wood - Cleveland Hy-Wood 3+ and 4+
  • Hybrids - Dump the 4h, add a 5h and 6h. Contenders in my mind based off past success are Cleveland Halo XL, though Tour Edge Hot Launch could be a sneaky option. Not looking for max distance here. High and easy is what I want.
  • Irons - 7-PW Wilson Dynapower Forged with F3 Dart 90's. This will maintain my internet golfer cred.
  • Wedges - CBX4 50/54/58
  • Putter - Whatever. Not convinced it matters.
The fun thing about this setup is it gives me space for a bonus club, which would be:

Smart Sole L Wedge. The 64 would give me an easy high and soft option and get more use than another long club.
Putters matter and it's not even close.

When I read this I truly thought this was about making it harder & I was reaching for my Tomny Armour 855 1 iron 🤣

I'm right there with you in dropping the fairway wood - I use it as my long par 3 club, and that's about it. A hybrid works so much better for me.

I could drop 3w, 4i and 5i, but I would need to work on adding something on the top of the bag to replace them, it would be something along the lines of easier to hit hybrids I'm sure.

I think the Darkspeed Irons are the best looking forgiving iron on the market right now and have been very forgiving the 3-4 times I’ve messed around with them at the store.

The vanity in me would pick those so at least I can look good and maybe play a little better with easier sticks. 😀

I kinda agree with the choices for the rest of the bag. Except your obvious disrespect for putters. 🤣

That's enough of that talk.
The Versa helps a lot with my alignment. Just saying. Ai line has helped with consistency on longer putts.

TM Qi10 Max 10.5*
Cleveland Hywood 3+
Cleveland Halo 4H 22*
Cleveland ZipCore XL 6i-PW
CBX4 50/54
Odyssey Tour Lined 11S (my current putter)

A fitter would probably tell me due to my low launch and spin i should switch my 4 iron from the T150 to another U505

He would tell me that only once. And then wake up in a ditch.
Alicia Silverstone Cherilyn Horowitz GIF by filmeditor

The Versa helps a lot with my alignment. Just saying. Ai line has helped with consistency on longer putts.
I have toyed with the idea of a Cruiser JB now that bring that up.

Edison 2.0 wedges in my 50* and 54* have been a revelation for me. Gives me help where I hit the ball with a wedge, and has allowed me to score better with a wedge in hand.

This is something I’ve honestly worked toward the past couple years.

I know parts of the bag look really internet-y, but it’s all and a rhyme and reason of blending what I need visually and what adds playability.

It doesn't usually happen , i make sure of it--it's very easy

I always go to fittings with merch (headcovers, etc) from large golf forums. That way they immediately know they will be ridiculed online for anything they say that i disagree with.

"just fit yourself sir---please don't start any threads about me!"

I feel like this is already my current bag with a couple changes, I'd remove my 6iron for a 6 hybrid and add a Cleveland smart sole chipper to have a 14th club.

This is something I’ve honestly worked toward the past couple years.

I know parts of the bag look really internet-y, but it’s all and a rhyme and reason of blending what I need visually and what adds playability.
It's definitely going to be different for everybody.

All those things I mentioned are items I'd actually play. I think that's an important part of it too.

It doesn't usually happen , i make sure of it--it's very easy

I always go to fittings with merch (headcovers, etc) from large golf forums. That way they immediately know they will be ridiculed online for anything they say that i disagree with.

"just fit yourself sir---please don't start any threads about me!"
Probably in your best interest that you're upfront with them like that, and would save a lot of your time and energy just going over to the wall and grabbing the stiffest TX possible - and obviously, the one that costs the most. The shadowy figures behind the curtain of Big Fitting want you to believe in nonsense like "land angle" and "spin numbers", and worst of all "qualified professionals". Not fooling me.

Ill Handle It Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather

Probably in your best interest that you're upfront with them like that, and would save a lot of your time and energy just going over to the wall and grabbing the stiffest TX possible - and obviously, the one that costs the most. The shadowy figures behind the curtain of Big Fitting want you to believe in nonsense like "land angle" and "spin numbers", and worst of all "qualified professionals". Not fooling me.

Ill Handle It Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather

Don't forget "can i order this driver head 17 degrees open? I want it to be anti-left!"

Back