You are always welcome to come visit Bake. First round on me.
Very tempting, JB. My girlfriend isnt exactly a fan of cold. She grew up in Missouri and later live in D.C., so cold winters are something she is still getting used to.
I know shed love it if I surprised her with a trip to sunny Florida in the middle of winter.
Not to mention she plays golf. A couple weeks ago we went to the driving range and she did pretty decent and last weekend she kicked my butt at mini-golf; so she definetly has potential.

One of our local courses has a fun shotgun the Saturday before Thanksgiving every year. Last year, the wind chill was about 10*. I have never been that cold on the course, but was too stubborn and stupid to quit. It got to a point where I was too cold to grip the club and I have really good clothes for Winter golf. I will never do that again, but amazingly enough - there 72 people out there that day.
10* is cold for golf. As much as I love the cold, at those temps I think Id want one of those golf carts that has the little heater on it.
Id still play though. Ive played in cold, rain and 40 mph wind and IMO there arent any conditions where I wouldnt play.

I have played while icefog was forming on the trees around us. I was never so cold in my life. I looked like the little kid on "A Christmas Story". I could barely move my arms to swing. It was during a weekend golf outing with 20 other guys and the next day, we played in just long sleeved shirts...typical Arkansas weather.

I have played while icefog was forming on the trees around us. I was never so cold in my life. I looked like the little kid on "A Christmas Story". I could barely move my arms to swing. It was during a weekend golf outing with 20 other guys and the next day, we played in just long sleeved shirts...typical Arkansas weather.
Ive snowmobiled in freezing fog before. It sucks. Your goggles get all iced-up and you have to scrape them off just so you can see.
Of course, buying a helmet with a heated faceshield fixed all that. :cool:

Me and my group get burned out at times,so we go fishing and all we do is talk about golf.We replace our poles with clubs and off to the course we go.

Do any of you ever get burnt out from the game? I mean I still LOVE the game but, I guess since I've been playing/practicing a LOT, I feel I've plateaued a bit.

I think I need to take a week or two off.

Thoughts?

I'm going through it now. I practiced, played, watched (TV and actual events) way too much in 2014. I attended about 5 days at the Tampa Bay event, headed to Arnie's tourney for a full day of practice rounds, then TPC Sawgrass for an extended time in May for the Players - then drove up to Pinehurst for the US OPEN.....by then I as getting sick of golf....also played a lot in the hot FLA sun and stopped having fun - we're talking about someone who practiced a lot, played a lot, watched Golf Channel, watched four days of events on TV, went to tournaments -

Haven't touched a club since about June 2014.....played more tennis.

But now the FLA swing is coming around, and maybe I'll be headed out to the practice tee in the next week.......biggest case of burnout from golf since I started playing in 1980s......I attribute it to being in FLA where golf becomes a job trying to get better everyday.... stopped enjoying it and really became adverse to it....

I think going out to the Tampa event in March will probably get me to like it again after watching the pros hit it around.

There are just too many THPers in the Tampa Bay Area (and around the country at events) to get burn out for me. I go through stretches without playing, but one round with some THPers and I am back to loving it again.

Then throw in the demo equipment...Hooked.

Never been able to play enough to get burn out. 3 to 4 times a year up to 10 games last year only. Maybe a short break would be good in your case...

I just came back to the game in Sept-Oct of 2014 from a 5 year burn out. I can honestly say I have more passion now for the game than I ever had before.

As excited as I get when everything lines up and I can play 4-5 times a week for a few weeks I sometimes feel just as good when I get a break for a couple weeks. I've never been completely burned out, though. Just need a short break now and then.

Yes. I have been burnt out with golf before. usually two weeks or so without touching a club fixes me right up.

I think every fall I get to a point where I'm ready to take a break but the real burn out stage takes place in November/December usually. The weather here changes so fast anymore that all of a sudden it's snowing a week after playing a round of golf in shorts. But every february the itch is back and I can't wait to get back out on a course

It is not so much me burning out as it is my wife getting tired of me being away from the house so much. I played 10 straight days once and she pretty much let me know that that was too much golf for her, I always stop at 9 straight days now. :smile:

Don't know if I could burned out. Never got to play enough, but I'm willing to try. Sounds like a pretty good potential problem to have!

Never been able to play enough to get burn out. 3 to 4 times a year up to 10 games last year only. Maybe a short break would be good in your case...

Doesn't seem to be enough golf to keep from being rusty - I tend to be all or nothing....and all involves golfing 3-5 days a week (I've retired at an early age) or working on the practice tee/short game area.

Getting out to the Tampa Bay event and Arnie's tournament this week is starting to give me the golf bug again...might even break out the clubs and hit the range/practice area this weekend......

Wow, talk about thread revival!! From 2009 and then jump to 2015!! Can't say I've ever burned out. I've played so poorly that I've wondered why I don't find something else to spend time on, but that's not burnout, that's just frustration. I'm usually over it by the end of the next hole or two.

Back