Yep. When I play at Erin Hills, the caddy carries two bags. It is particulary tough on this course, because the course is VERY long, has rolling hills and the tee boxes are very far from the preceding green.

And that really is a brutal walk. When I played it the caddie just carried mine, as my playing partner carried. I think the fee was $60, and I gave him $60. My playing partner gave him $20 or $30 for some of his help. He had a good round. They do a lot of green reading for you there, if you want it.

They do a lot of doubling at Whistling, too. I did it as a kid a few times, and it sucked. I used to get $6.00 plus a $2.00 to $4.00 tip. Would spend it all on a hot dog from the JC Penny grill and in the arcade at the mall across the street.

Kevin

The course I play w/caddies is a private course and the guest green fee is $100. I pay that amt to the caddie as well. That is what was suggested by the member that invites me so I never questioned it.

Asking the desk clerk is a good idea. Our caddie fee was $75 and he said tip him $25 when I played at Old Memorial. He only carried my bag. I don't have a stand bag and he asked to switch from my staff bag to a stand bag and I didn't have a problem with it. I wanted his job to be as easy as possible. Honestly felt guilty, but then really thought it was cool to have a caddie.

If you ever get the chance, it's a cool experience and I could see how it would be a great job as a younger person.

Tappin from my iPad

I never knew it was common for them to carry two bags.

Do they really carry two bags sometimes? That sounds terrible.

The caddy who carried the bags for my Dad and I at Whistling Straits said he would sometimes do two rounds a day carrying two bags. He said he would be tired as you know what at the end of the day. That is not an easy course to walk, let alone while carrying two bags. The guy was really cool and worked his butt off, so we made sure to take care of him.

Last edited:
I don't anticipate ever playing with a caddy. Unless it's at Pebble Beach, and since that would mean that I won the lottery, the caddy would be tipped very nicely.
I played Pebble in January with a friend (discount rate of $395 with $50 merchandise gift card included by way of the NCGA special)
Caddie fee for the resort was $80 per player. Our caddie double bagged for my friend and I and if I remember correctly we each gave him $40 in addition to each having payed the $80... Seemed about right to us. Round that I won't forget... Amazing views, beautiful course... Wasn't in it for the score but shot a 107...
We were lucky to have gotten the discount during the down season and picked an amazing day to golf (weather-wise).
I'd love to get back out there but given the fees it's one to wait for discounts and a special occasion to do it... Next time I'll get my own caddie though. Double bagging took some attention away from each of us... Course I may have to tip more given this discussion...

Back