Caddy tipping/etiquette

FrancisD

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm going to be playing a course where caddies are required for the first time. What does one usually tip a caddy? We are playing with a member so I guess I should ask him when we get there. Also anyone have any etiquette tips? I don't want to look like more of an idiot out there then usual lol.

I think a lot of it tends to be tied to the cost of the club. When I caddied (early 90's) most tips were in the 10-20 range with really high tips being 40-50

A quick search suggested 50% of the caddie fee. If you are a guest of your friend, maybe he could tell you what the fee is. I have no experience here though.

J.

I'm going to be playing a course where caddies are required for the first time. What does one usually tip a caddy? We are playing with a member so I guess I should ask him when we get there. Also anyone have any etiquette tips? I don't want to look like more of an idiot out there then usual lol.

2 easy ways to figure out tipping: either ask the member that you are playing with, or ask the head pro in the pro shop or someone else in there about the usual tipping at that facility.

One other thing: tipping can be different if your caddie is carrying one bag or two bags. Say that your caddie is carrying two bags, your bag and the member's bag. You could show your appreciation for the invite by covering the tip for that caddie so that your member doesn't have to pay.

For a caddie that is solely tending your bag, $100.

Any tips for playing with a caddy? First thing I thought of was taking my stand bag and going as light as possible. Poor guy is in for a long day with me lol. Maybe I should tell him to keep a few balls in his pocket so I don't "lose" any?

2 easy ways to figure out tipping: either ask the member that you are playing with, or ask the head pro in the pro shop or someone else in there about the usual tipping at that facility.

One other thing: tipping can be different if your caddie is carrying one bag or two bags. Say that your caddie is carrying two bags, your bag and the member's bag. You could show your appreciation for the invite by covering the tip for that caddie so that your member doesn't have to pay.

Good information here and a good suggestion for showing the member your appreciation. Now if only I had the problem of figuring this out. Would love to have the opportunity of playing a course with a caddy. Pebble with caddies and my regular group is on my bucket list though.

J.

Good information here and a good suggestion for showing the member your appreciation. Now if only I had the problem of figuring this out. Would love to have the opportunity of playing a course with a caddy. Pebble with caddies and my regular group is on my bucket list though.

J.

I hear ya. We are in way over our heads on this. My buddy won the round in a raffle, we already had to cut one of our regular foursome out and he doesn't even know it yet, can't figure to how to tell him.

Any tips for playing with a caddy? First thing I thought of was taking my stand bag and going as light as possible. Poor guy is in for a long day with me lol. Maybe I should tell him to keep a few balls in his pocket so I don't "lose" any?

I often just say something to the hosting member to the effect that I want to give the caddy the same amount as he is going to pay, and ask what he's going to do.

In terms of playing with the caddy for the first time, just have fun. Don't be nervous about playing well in front of someone (they've looped for guests before and seen it all) or having them serve you (that is his job). Also, fire away with questions - where you want to play the ball next, reading the greens, etc. It is a lot of fun, especially when you get a good caddy.

I don't have experience here but go play your game and have fun man. Bring the bag you normally would because being a caddy is his job and I'm sure he will be more than capable of handling your bag. Take some pictures as well because I would love to see this course!

I don't know what this means. I'm just suggesting an amount.

I think Ary means the rate varies depending on region, course, quality of caddy program, etc.

I was going to say minimum of a buck a hole? (totally uninformed, have never played with a caddie before.)

Use the caddie as much as possible. And I usually offer to get them something to eat/drink at the turn. I've had some of my most fun rounds with caddies and they're usually really good guys.

I hear ya. We are in way over our heads on this. My buddy won the round in a raffle, we already had to cut one of our regular foursome out and he doesn't even know it yet, can't figure to how to tell him.

Have fun FrancisD, make the most of the experience !

I think Ary means the rate varies depending on region, course, quality of caddy program, etc.

Gotcha. I guess I should re phrase and say if you're totally happy with your caddie, consider that amount. If it's a private course, then I agree ask the member for guidance.

Lots of good advice already mentioned. Ask the member or head pro about the amount, they will definitely give you the proper number. If they say $60 and you end up having one of the best days ever on a course because of him, then certainly another $20 or$40 would make his day.

I also offer to buy a beverage or hot dog for him at appropriate time.

And as for your ability I had a caddie fell me once..."relax I've caddied for a lot better players than you and I've caddied for a whole lot worst. So there's nothing your going to do that will shock me, good or bad"

We laughed and that did make me relax.

Use the caddie as much as possible. And I usually offer to get them something to eat/drink at the turn.
I completely forgot this one. Definitely do this.

I agree with most in here. Best thing to do would be to ask the member or head pro.

If I remember right, when I use to caddie when I was younger a $20 - $40 tip was pretty good. But that was my course and region that I worked at and was about the same as the caddie fee (I was just a kid and a low seniority caddie, veterans caddie fees could be closer to $100). I know the course that I caddied at had a card they would hand out to each caddie and we would give this to the guest/member when the round was over, it had what level caddie you were and the fee for the round. It would then have a suggestion as to what size of tip to give depending on how we did.

Hope this helps a bit and I hope you enjoy the round! Caddies are a lot of fun so just go out there and play your game.

When I played Chambers Bay, it was going to be the round of the Summer. I was killing it at the range, then got to the First tee..and sha--s every where. I finally told my caddie maybe I should go back and get a lesson with the pro or something, but he wouldn't let me. He said, relax and have fun. I can tell you're not even the worst player in the group. He talked me through a few shots after that and just like that, I was out of my funk. Had one of the best rounds I can remember. But yeah, they don't care how you play. They've seen it all.

First time I used a caddy was at a tough course and I had been away from the game for several years. I maybe shot 130. Maybe. It was perhaps the single most enjoyable round of golf I've ever played. Don't worry about your score, just roll with it and have fun.

It depends on the course and the experience of the caddy. When I caddied, it was at a private course, and there were different levels of caddies based on their experience. For my beginning summer, a typical tip was probably $20-$40. This went up based on your experience. The best caddies there received probably $100 minimum per round, but this was at a really nice private club. We also got a free hot dog and drink at the turn, so I'm not sure that is necessary. If the caddies there don't get free food at the turn, then yes you should offer.

I know where you are playing and my suggestion is being that the round is free so don't skimp on the caddie. Consider it the greens fee. What would be a fair rate to play the course you are going to play? Just give it to the caddie.

Don't bring your stand bag. The caddie will probably be carrying another bad too. If that is the case the stand bag becomes a real pain in the butt to handle. Two cart/staff bags that weigh the same are much easier to handle than two stand bags with straps for both shoulders.

And don't worry that the caddie will be upset over your playing ability. I have caddied a ton in my younger years and you are nowhere close to a bad loop. Have fun and enjoy the experience. There is nothing like playing golf with a caddie (except playing with a caddie in front of two hundred people). Especially if he knows what he is doing.

I have a question... Are most caddies just kids or teens working during school or college? or are more these days, especially at nice courses legit golf career types? Either as players or teaching pro's. Seems like a good way to learn to work with a variety of golfers either way.

Back