Callaway Chrome Tour, Chrome Tour X, and Chrome Soft Golf Balls

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Regardless of whether you put their balls into play, it would be foolish to diminish the effort Callaway puts into innovation in the golf ball space. They’ve come a long, long way in a short time. Making inroads in this market segment is insanely difficult, and many of the David’s have settled for battling amongst themselves instead of toppling Goliath. Still, great products with great messaging succeed more often than not, and Callaway’s 2024 Chrome Tour line looks promising.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Good stuff!!

I've been so excited for this release!! I've been loving them on course and there's some really interesting changes. Here's some thoughts and data on some of it for me and I can't wait to hear the Grandaddy guys' stories about their experiences with them and the testers that recently got theirs.

They're really good. From the speed to the feels to the aero. If I was a competitor, I'd be worried!

That Chrome Tour ball is freaking amazing!!! Look at the new alignment aids on the Triple Track!
IMG_1726.jpeg

Good stuff!!

I've been so excited for this release!! I've been loving them on course and there's some really interesting changes. Here's some thoughts and data on some of it for me and I can't wait to hear the Grandaddy guys' stories about their experiences with them and the testers that recently got theirs.

They're really good. From the speed to the feels to the aero. If I was a competitor, I'd be worried!
The aero performance is what won me over quickly.
I had a tendency with the LS to flutter too much at apex, and the Chrome Tour has solved that. Now to decide between tour and tour x!

This is a great piece, Hawk!

The aero performance is what won me over quickly.
I had a tendency with the LS to flutter too much at apex, and the Chrome Tour has solved that. Now to decide between tour and tour x!
It's so tough to decide. I was surprised they changed the aero but it's been cutting through the cold wind like butter. I loved the LS, but I get that this direction suits more people and I'm confident I'll be in one of them again this year.

Been using the Chrome Tour for a bit now and it took what I liked about Chrome Soft X LS and made it feel so much better.

Man I have been waiting for this to pop up. Was selected to test and here is what I came up with. I’ve played a round with each the tour and tour x and then tested them.
2024 Chrome Tour

• Feel is identical to ProV1 which is my ball
  • Straighter w/ driver than Tour X, but about the same as a ProV1.
  • Longer than ProV1 during round (Confirmed on PRGR)
  • Green side spin is perfect.
  • Flight is perfect.
  • Had 2 wedge shots that pulled some urethane off but that’s par for the course. Happens with other balls with my wedges.
  • Shot +1 with first round using.
  • Packaging (unsure about the gold, but packaging doesn’t matter if it performs)
  • Took 3 holes using during my first round seeing in play results to tell it is my ball.
  • All data w/ 2024 Apex Pro 7i (170-175 club) and PRGR.
  • Against gamer, it is 2 mph faster BS and 2.7 (almost 3 yrds longer).

#ChromeTour #TheNewGoldStandard

2024 Chrome Tour X

• much firmer than standard tour
  • feels a lot like ProV1x
  • Don’t like as much as Standarad tour. A little too firm for me.
  • More spin on short wedges
  • Didn’t mind inside 145 from a feel perspective but outside that, didn’t like. Too firm. Not that it’s bad, just not for me. Also keep in mind I am not one that is looking for more spin that this ball provides. I need spin off mid to short irons but don’t want it as I get longer in the bag.
  • Ball not for me, mainly off a feel perspective and numbers are better w/ Chrome Tour.
  • All data w/ 2024 Apex Pro 7i (170-175 club) and PRGR.
  • 2024 Chrome Tour X firmer than 22 CSX and 22 CSX-LS, but not longer.
    • If I had to choose between these three balls it would be the 22 CSX. Feel is better along with BS and distance. Numbers are pretty much identical to CSX-LS. Numbers are pretty much identical to my gamer (ProV1)

Did Survey for Callaway that was sent to do on the cardstock. Final results.

• Even with all the balls I have, I will be ordering about 4 dozen of these with Callaway points and gift cards and this will be my #1 ball and the ProV1 will be my secondary. (Will need to work through my stock, but these are the real deal!)
IMG_8879.jpegIMG_8880.jpegIMG_8894.jpeg

Can’t wait to get my hands on 5he Chrome Tour.

New Callaway balls!! My write up will be a little less in depth than the rest of the guys since I didn’t get to play any rounds with them and have just been putting and chipping indoors. No need for me to write down all the tech either since the article has that covered and the guys will have more to say as well.

As you can see, the Chrome Soft X and Chrome Soft X LS aren’t around anymore. While the Chrome Tour isn’t a DIRECT replacement for the LS, that’s what everyone is going to take from these and Callaway knows that. One of the biggest complaints of the CSX LS was that while it worked out for people (me included), it still felt a little clicky and wasn’t quite spinny enough around the green. Like I said, Callaway didn’t directly replace the LS with the CT (their words were this was a Chrome Soft X dot coming to retail which was a ball a lot of their staff not in the CSX were using), but those that chose the LS as their ball are getting everything that they might have thought was lacking in the past ball.

Off the putter, I’ve tried to get a sound profile between the Tour and the LS. While the videos don’t do it total justice, you can hear the CT is slightly less audible. That translates even more in the actual feel of the ball. CT is the perfect “softness”l coming off the putter. Not total clickiness but not a marshmallow either. And depending on the face of your putter, you may be able to feel it even more. Both of these videos were taken from the Ai-One DW. But the feel is even more noticeable off my Toulon Chicago. If anyone wants sound videos from that, just let me know. But trust me when I say that if you were looking for a ball softer than the LS off the putter, you’ve absolutely found it. Off of wedges you can feel it as well. I’m only chipping, but this ball is going to be the one for me this year!

Chrome Tour

View attachment IMG_9454.mov

Chrome Soft X LS

View attachment IMG_9455.mov

I know I mentioned it in the Grandaddy thread during the presentation but they’ve thought of the smallest details on the reintroduction of their tour balls. From the color of the ball and wanting it to be whiter than what they used to do, as well as changing the font and color ever so slightly on the numbers. Nothing was left the same. Those may seem like details that don’t overly matter, but it shows a commitment to improvement, no matter how small it may seem.

IMG_9452.jpeg

The final thing they changed visually was the Triple Track lines and I think it’s an absolute home run. Each side of the TT lines is now a pointed tip instead of the flat tip they used to be. Again a super small change, but one that will make it even easier than it already is to line up putts.

CT
IMG_9448.jpeg

CSXLS
IMG_9449.jpeg

I truly can’t wait to get these out on the course this year. This sounds like the dream ball and this entire line should be an absolute WINNER based on what I was hearing from the guys while they were playing a few weeks ago and while we’ve been talking about them privatly. I know there will be some tech questions that we will be able to further elaborate on or any other questions THP may have. And I’m sure I will be the least in depth post we have since I didn’t get to play actual golf with them. But I and the team are here for anything you guys have. Fire away!

It's so tough to decide. I was surprised they changed the aero but it's been cutting through the cold wind like butter. I lived the LS, but I get that this direction suits more people and I'm confident I'll be in one of them again this year.

I can confidently say I’m going to do a thorough ball fitting to decide between tour and tour x.

I didn’t like the LS especially around the greens, which is why I’ve switched to the CSX. I have a few rounds with each of these, and can say the Tour X is in the lead right now, but I wanna give the Tour more time. It’s impressive

ooh. Lots of new in there. Really like what I'm reading there. The aerodynamics modeling and dimple changes are very interesting. It's amazing how they can do that. Definitely gonna be giving these a try this year and see what I end up liking.

I cannot wait to talk more about these!!! I was a little late in receiving mine since I was out of town. Will have some good information tomorrow evening after getting some good numbers. Here’s some pictures to hold over haha
IMG_3536.jpeg

IMG_3532.jpeg

I plan to dig in some more tomorrow when I can. Gotta get ready for bed and spend a little time with the kiddo but wanted to get my notes/thoughts from the testing on here tonight.

I can confidently say I’m going to do a thorough ball fitting to decide between tour and tour x.

I didn’t like the LS especially around the greens, which is why I’ve switched to the CSX. I have a few rounds with each of these, and can say the Tour X is in the lead right now, but I wanna give the Tour more time. It’s impressive
I've been comparing them non-stop for a little while now andI still can't decide! If I was fitting me it would be a no brainer on the numbers (X), but the Chrome Tour has been great on course. Surprising but not. And it does feel nice. I think it will be insanely popular and I'm just really excited for everyone.

I rant about people ranting about durability in the other vid, and things can and do happen

but I've always played one for 5 rounds when I'm not hitting it off the junk.

Last edited:
Also I remember posting in the Grandaddy thread that EVERYONE would have a ball they like looking down at. It was a reference to this picture that we saw during the presentation. All those spots with a ball are what will be available AT RETAIL...the empty spots will eventually be available on Callaway. Literally no OEM offers the options that Callaway does.
1704330640233.png

Been using the Chrome Tour for a bit now and it took what I liked about Chrome Soft X LS and made it feel so much better.
I switched to the CSX LS over the summer and really liked the performance and feel. I’m looking forward to trying these.

Back