Callaway RAZR X Muscle back irons

Wicked Cool Bearded Man

4thegolf+4thefriends
Reaction score
Handicap
6.3 GHIN
I hit these today to start my club search for my bag set up in the Morgan Cup 2.0 as a Callaway Staff member. First thoughts:

Looks: These are some of the cleanest irons I have ever held in my hands. They just scream players iron. Very nice thin top line, with very little coloring or decoration on the back. Very simplistic and very beautiful with a nice chrome finish.

Feel: They are exactly what they say. As a forged iron, when struck well, they feel amazing. The ball just wants to jump off the face of the club. However, there was quite a bit of feedback when struck thin. This was expected as that is exactly what is advertised. Personally, I do like feedback in my irons.

Workability: I hit these inside so it was tough to tell. But according to the computer system that I used, the ball did exactly what I wanted, when I wanted it to. My normal ball flight (slight fade) was apparent and if I turned my hands over, a slight draw was visible. I also hit several balls that were dead straight down the line. I can't wait to hit these outside to actually see it for myself.

Distance: These were about 5-8 yards longer for me than the Razr X Tour Forged. I hit about 35 balls with the 6 iron, and the distance average was 188 yards with several that measured over 194. My longest was 198. Again, this was inside on a computer generated system. This distance was comparable to my current 6 iron, if not slightly longer.

Final thoughts: I was in love with these the moment I looked at them. If you are looking to purchase a true players iron with a ton of workability, lower ball flight, and a club that feels great on well struck shots as well as letting you know when you when you don't get it flush, give these a test drive.

Great looking irons for sure and it is nice they are doing the job for you.

Nice write up ghsace, sounds like you have an early front runner.

Thanks guys. They were so sleek in person. I was really surprised on how good they felt on solid swings. Very impressed.

Nice write up ghsace. I'm really interested to see what irons Callaway offers you guys for MC 2.0

Nice write up ghsace. I'm really interested to see what irons Callaway offers you guys for MC 2.0

Me too ddec. I hit two different irons on this trip. Next trip I go I'm going to hit the others just to keep my options open and to see what they want us to play. That way I have some experience with all of them.

Me too ddec. I hit two different irons on this trip. Next trip I go I'm going to hit the others just to keep my options open and to see what they want us to play. That way I have some experience with all of them.

sounds like a good plan to me

Bag em ghsace as they sound like the right sticks for ya buddy :clapp:

Bag em ghsace as they sound like the right sticks for ya buddy :clapp:

Thanks OG. I was drooling with them in my hands hahahah.

Callaway's various iterations of this iron design may be my all-time favourite.

Callaway's various iterations of this iron design may be my all-time favourite.

Seriously. I love how each design of this specific rendition progressively changes, but yet stays true to the basic design. The RAZR X line really is a collective work of art

Aren't these pretty much the same head style as the Jaws wedge but in iron form?

ghsace I have not hit too many blades before, but I thought that the Taylormade MB irons were pretty easy to hit as far as a blade goes. The way the weight port is positioned on the club it just makes it easy to get the ball in the air. I have never hit the Callaway MBs yet, but I saw in a video of them that there is a good amount of weight distributed across the bottom half in the long irons and as you get to the shorter irons you can see how they shift the weight more toward the top in order to keep the ball low. Anyhow...I don't know if you have hit many blades before or not, but does the way the weight is positioned in the club seem like it makes it easier to get the ball in the air on the long irons? I love the look of these irons but since I have not hit them and I don't have a decent golf store within 2 hours where I could go hit them I am just curious how easy these are to hit. I use the term "easy" loosely because I know blades in general aren't very easy to hit unless you are a good ball striker, but I know that the Taylormade MB irons are considered a more "forgiving" blade and I wondered if the Callaway MBs would be in that same category. I hope my question makes sense....

Aren't these pretty much the same head style as the Jaws wedge but in iron form?

Yes. Same design concept and weighting system basically

ghsace I have not hit too many blades before, but I thought that the Taylormade MB irons were pretty easy to hit as far as a blade goes. The way the weight port is positioned on the club it just makes it easy to get the ball in the air. I have never hit the Callaway MBs yet, but I saw in a video of them that there is a good amount of weight distributed across the bottom half in the long irons and as you get to the shorter irons you can see how they shift the weight more toward the top in order to keep the ball low. Anyhow...I don't know if you have hit many blades before or not, but does the way the weight is positioned in the club seem like it makes it easier to get the ball in the air on the long irons? I love the look of these irons but since I have not hit them and I don't have a decent golf store within 2 hours where I could go hit them I am just curious how easy these are to hit. I use the term "easy" loosely because I know blades in general aren't very easy to hit unless you are a good ball striker, but I know that the Taylormade MB irons are considered a more "forgiving" blade and I wondered if the Callaway MBs would be in that same category. I hope my question makes sense....

I currently play the PING s56 and haven't hit the TM MB's. These to me had a thinner top line and I would say are slightly more harsh on mishits than the PING's. Not in a bad way necessarily, just more feeling if that makes sense. But, that being said, I didn't have trouble at all getting these in the air. A few of my misses were thin, which obviously resulted in a much lower ball flight, but no more so than my current set. I need to hit these outside though to give you a real evaluation. So, long winded answer, I don't think I would consider these overwhelmingly forgiving, probably on the lower end of that scale. BUT, I didn't think they were any more difficult to hit than any other blades I have hit. I loved the way you could tell nearly instantaneously whether or not it was 1. well struck and 2. if you were trying to work the ball in either direction, I felt like you could actually feel the club make contact with the ball, and control the head at contact. I felt like I really had to focus on every swing because if I left my hands open at all, the result was a tight fade, or if I closed up early, the result was a draw. I know that is what is supposed to happen, but there have been other irons I have hit where that wasn't the case and I couldn't really tell what ball flight I was going to get until it was up in the air. These seemed to tell me right away what to expect.

I will say that these had quite possibly the thinnest top line out of any iron I have ever hit.

Sweet irons! Ever hit the razr x tour?

Not yet. Yesterday I hit the Razr X forged and these. I intend to hit those hopefully next weekend with the regular Razr X's. My plan is to hit as many of Callaway's irons as possible before I get fitted and send in my order just so I have some idea of what each iron brings to the table.

Callaway just posted this on FB. These are Ernie's Razr X MB irons. Bad A$$!!!

razrmb.jpg

I want to have my initials on my next set of irons. Wait, I would have to keep them more than 6 months then.

I still think those are the best looking irons out there.

They are so so gorgeous. I still love them just as much as the first day I put them in play.

Going to have to look a little harder at GS/GG to see if they have these on the rack to take a look at, and maybe a demo laying around somewhere to swing. I've decided that my next set will be MB's, just need to figure out whos.

Going to have to look a little harder at GS/GG to see if they have these on the rack to take a look at, and maybe a demo laying around somewhere to swing. I've decided that my next set will be MB's, just need to figure out whos.

These are amazing. I reviewed them in the callaway iron thread but if you have any questions send me pm.

Soon Iphone you will be mine...

Back