Callaway X Forged Irons Review

BackspinBarry

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello THP'ers,

As some of you may be aware I have been searching for a new set of irons and I have been given some great advice here at THP. I have tested lots of irons including the new Ap2's and Taylormade MC's, I enjoyed hitting them so much that I couldn't choose between them, that was until I tested the Callaway X forged irons.

Callaway listened to the tour pros and the existing x forged range needed to be refined and improved, that they did. The result was impressive and the X forged is now a technologically sound iron that enables better players excellent feel and workability to dissect through the course and thoroughly enjoy every round.

What I have found and been most impressed with is when taking the club back, there is an awareness of the position of the club head right through the swing adding confidence in shaping shots. The awareness really improves workability and has helped me greatly as I play at an extremely windy golf course so I need to work the ball to either use or negate the wind to shoot low.

The feel of the club head is down to the excellent work by the bearded Callaway Engineers (probably called Clive) and the forged 1020 carbon steel that is used on the head. The "progressive dual notch weighting" gives a powerful ball trajectory and coupled with the "Flighted CG Design" adds tremendous workability, feel and distance control.

A solid shot with the X Forged results in a smooth and sleek strike that you can stand and admire at the ball as it flies through the air on a penetrating flight. The ball bounces off of the face effortlessly and grabs the green. I have seen great grip and spin on the greens but the real test comes in the summer when things firm up.

However, and it is a big however, if you are not a solid ball striker put these clubs down. The X Forged are certainly not the most forgiving club on the market. A thin shot will mean a lack of feeling in your fingers for at least a hole and a fat strike will pop the ball up and down as if you were hitting an airflow ball.

Callaway have aimed these irons at better players and the feel, workability and control is unbeatable in the right hands.

In short if you are in the better player category, (solid ball striker with a consistent swing) then these should be on your list to test, you will be amazed by the effortless feel off of the face and you will enjoy the modern but tour inspired looks of the club, the design is simple but effective.*

If you are an improving golfer, steer clear, get a suitable set of irons, I would highly recommend the R11's and watch your handicap come tumbling down the more you play and practice.

Since having these irons I have shot no higher than 75 (par 71) and the last 3 rounds have been 73's with shots left on the course. The X Forged have vastly improved my game and I look forward to every iron shot I have to take and the X Forged look brilliant in hand and in the bag, well done and thank you Callaway.

If you have any questions or queries then please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Backspin Barry

Great review, makes me wish I was good enough to game them!

Great review, I hit these today and they are simply beautiful sticks, and they ball flight was very impressive. There is not a lot of forgiveness there, but overall I thought they were a great set of irons.

Great review! I love the look of these irons and have read nothing but great things about them. I have not hit them yet but I can't wait to give them a few swings.

Nice write up Barry! Thanks for the info. I really want to test these out.

Nice review. I just got my razr x forged irons in yesterday paired with the project x 6.0 flighted shaft. Can't wait to take them out on the course.

Sent from my DROIDX

Nice review. I just got my razr x forged irons in yesterday paired with the project x 6.0 flighted shaft. Can't wait to take them out on the course.

Sent from my DROIDX

Beautiful irons!

Thanks for the review. Lots of good information. Looks like a club that is step above my ability.

These are on my radar. Nice amount of bounce too

ohhhh, I thought we were talking aboot the Razr X forged irons, but all the same great review.

Me too.....big difference

But still a very good write up!

Would have been idea to put the linking the article, sorry for the confusion...

Silly guy threw us for a loop! Its all good, still a great review and I hope you enjoy them!

I have owned the 2007 and 2009 X Forged irons and kick myself all the time for not selecting the Razr X Forged irons. IMO, the 09's were fantastic but the Razr XF's have a much hotter and responsive face, at least in my experiences.

Congrats on your purchase Barry. Great set of sticks you got there.

Really nice review! Well done. Definitely some pretty irons.

Steel Tappin'

I have owned the 2007 and 2009 X Forged irons and kick myself all the time for not selecting the Razr X Forged irons. IMO, the 09's were fantastic but the Razr XF's have a much hotter and responsive face, at least in my experiences.

Congrats on your purchase Barry. Great set of sticks you got there.

The 09 Xforged are one of my favorite iron sets. TC when did you hit the XF's?

The 09 Xforged are one of my favorite iron sets. TC when did you hit the XF's?

When I said Razr XF, I mean the Razr X Forged irons, not the XF's like you hit in Florida.

the 09's were fantastic but the Razr XF's have a much hotter and responsive.

I thought the razr's were good solid club but when hitting them I seemed to enjoy the 09's a bit more and loved how easy I find it to work the ball. This is my first real look at Callaway and will definitely be testing the Razr fit as that's my next buy, a new driver.

I hit these today at GolfTown. First impressions: loved the look at address and the over all lines. Very sexy iron. Hit around 35 balls with this offering. Feel was very nice, with just the right amount of feedback. My launch angle was higher than the muscleback. Averaged about 183 with the 6 iron. This distance was slightly shorter than my current 6. The topline to me seemed slightly thicker than my current set, but very nice looking and by no means thick. My back spin rate was slightly higher than the muscleback. Dispersion was very very good with my normal and intended ball flight. The shaft was the Project X 6.0, which was nice because that is my current iron shaft. The stock grip was ok, I do like my Golf Pride ND multi-compound grips better. I can't wait to hit these outside to get a true look at the ball flight.

Nice looking sticks, I wish I could hit them. :). Still working on the swing.

Ghsace, I agree I am going to get them regripped soon, my launch angle is lower than my cobras and I really enjoy hitting low draws with the irons. I left the top line out of the review as it is a contentious subject with some from what I have dad, but certainly are a stunning club. Let me know how it goes when you get them outside.

Callaway x forged

Callaway x forged

I've discovered my irons (the 09 version) has a loft 1* weaker than I'd want

So what I'm asking is can my irons be bent one degree strong *

Just tappin away

I've discovered my irons (the 09 version) has a loft 1* weaker than I'd want

So what I'm asking is can my irons be bent one degree strong *

Just tappin away

Yes they can. But if you bring them into a store and ask them to be bent 1*, there is a likely chance that they don't bend them and give them back to you and you'll never know the difference.

Yes they can. But if you bring them into a store and ask them to be bent 1*, there is a likely chance that they don't bend them and give them back to you and you'll never know the difference.
WOW, you don't have a lot of faith in the stores do you? I would think they would do it.

Back