Callaway XR Driver - THP Review

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
"Built for Outrageous Speed" comes with hefty expectations. The hype around the XR line is certainly palpable, with the idea of introducing a highly loadable shaft in the Project X LZ with an aerodynamic crown and lighter, thinner face. Providing these "higher speeds" without the cost of forgiveness will be the largest focus, as the "X" line from Callaway has offered some quality mis-hit responsiveness over the last couple of years. One thing is for sure, the combination of a darker overall finish, along with the red, blue, and white colour selections REALLY make this head look good.

From Callaway

Speed From Speed Step Crown
To reduce drag and maximize speed through the swing, we’ve put in a Speed Step Crown and combined it with an optimized aerodynamic head shape. Everything about this driver is optimized for aero efficiency, which is critical to add speed with less drag.

speed-step-crown.jpg

Speed From R•MOTO Face Technology
This is how we increase ball speeds across the face - by reducing 10% of face weight to make it thinner. R•MOTO leads to more energy efficient energy transfer all over the face, allows us to put the CG 17% lower where most golfers want it, and delivers higher MOI.

r-moto-face.jpg

Speed From Maximum Shaft Load
The shaft is a key component to speed, that’s why XR comes stock with the new Project X LZ. It produces maximum shaft load during the downswing loading zone for greater energy transfer to the ball.

shaft.jpg

OptiFit Adjustability
Choose from 8 different loft and lie configurations to find the perfect launch for your ball flight. When you get the right launch conditions, you get more distance.

optifit-adjustability.jpg

In Hand Photos

20150218_105051-L.jpg

20150218_105604-L.jpg

20150218_105455-L.jpg

20150218_105510-L.jpg

20150218_105353-L.jpg

20150218_105517-L.jpg

20150218_105712-L.jpg

20150218_105720-L.jpg

20150218_105726-L.jpg

20150218_105739-L.jpg

20150218_105835-L.jpg

20150218_110607-L.jpg

20150218_110613-L.jpg

I absolutely, positively, cannot wait for this driver in March. I think it is gorgeous, and if I wasn't rocking Seamus covers I think I would keep that one on.

sharp looking in hand pics Dan, definitely want to give this one a run

Awesome! I am so stoked about hitting the XR with the UST shaft.

I absolutely, positively, cannot wait for this driver in March. I think it is gorgeous, and if I wasn't rocking Seamus covers I think I would keep that one on.

It's a bomber TH! You're going to love it! You'll drop your Bertha out of the bag for this one, I guarantee it!

Killer photos Dan.

Love the alignment on the crown being raised just a tad.

Excited to hear some reviews of this compared to the 815.

Great pictures Dan! Really like that the speed steps are not as prominent in hand as they appeared to me in the stock photos. Will be interesting to see the effects of the designs on the numbers.

That looks MUCH better than the stock photos.

Killer photos Dan.

Love the alignment on the crown being raised just a tad.

Excited to hear some reviews of this compared to the 815.

Cap, you didn't hit it when we were there in December? It was as long as my 815, maybe just a touch longer. I think I would have gamed this, if it was an option at the time.

Great in hand pics Dan! That head-cover is super sweet!

That matte black finish on the crown looks really good to me. I can't wait til March as well. I'm really looking forward to seeing what more forgiveness will mean for me after gaming the SLDR for over 6 months. I spent time last weekend on FlightScope with the SLDR and had good hits that showed to carry 250 and off center hits that were in my imaginary fairway area on the range that only carried between 200-220. That's a pretty big discrepancy for shots that would be playable on course. For so long I've struggled with face to path issues that the forgiveness hasn't been much of a thought. Now that I'm seeing some positive changes in the direction of the ball flight, I want to see what forgiveness across the face can do for me. I topped out speed wise last week at 105.8 and that was after a round of 18 holes. I feel like the SLDR is a heavy club head and am curious to see what added speed I can get out of a different club head and shaft.

Definitely a good looking driver. Great step forward in their X series.

Awesome Dan, looking forward to your feedback on it

I am obviously a Callaway fan, but I do like this a lot!

I was able to hit this at Dicks yesterday and was really impressed with feel and sound. The monitor was down so no numbers to report. But I am looking forward to giving it another go on a working monitor.

Really looking to hearing everyone's thoughts on this one and sharing my own.

I like it, but I'd have to see a spin reduction and distance increase over what I saw when I switched from the X2Hot to the Big Bertha.

Looks-wise, that thing's amazing, and I know a lot of people are very high on this driver. Can't wait to give it a ride, but it's got big shoes to fill. Like Big Bertha big.

I put my review of hitting it in the other thread, but I REALLY love the looks and feel of this club. Excited to put it in my bag! :) Technology amazes me more each day. Love the forgiveness factor!

This one is on my list of drivers for 2015 to test drive. Nice pictures Atlantadan.

As the descendent of the X2Hot, I'm sure this will work well for a lot of people. Unless it spins a good bit less, it won't be a great fit for me regardless of how much I want to like this series..but hey, that is why options are great. It is a really good looking driver.

I did not get any #'s with this in Dec as it was not an option for us. I did hit quite a few balls with it, as unscientific as the following statement is....This thing is HOT! The face is on fire...hot.

been holding out on driver purchases waiting for this one based on our conversation on the plan last month. Cant wait to hear more and also to swing this.

"Built for Outrageous Speed"

Is this one supposed to replace the V series? Which I thought was supposed to be about speed?
Or is it just a new addition to the lineup?

Thanks.

I hit it the other day...didn't really care for it, just kind of Meh...

I also don't usually work well with light shafts and Project X, so that was a double doozy.

Back