Can you putt the same with a cheap vs expensive putter? Are top dollar putters really worth it?

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I understand putters certainly have their R&D and the tech to go with them. balance, angles feel etc..
But imo outside of the shape , weight and style better suited to your stroke being the most important thing....I feel and somewhat know my putting is the same whether cheaper or expensive.

Once any putter is comfy and matches you most (by far) is about your eyes and the line you pick and your speed guestimate.
I feel there is far too much made of putters and outside of those couple/few things I mention most of it means little and is really all about your estimates of line and speed.

Putting has always been the one and probably only part of my game I never really suffered too badly from. Oh I have my bad rounds and stretches dont get me wrong lol. And Im certainly not any pro level or even scratch level at all at it. But relative to the rest of my inconsistent fails and game its usually the one area that i dont kill my game with too often and remains the more consistent part. (usually).

Ive always used cheap putters and even now with a more expensive one there is no difference in my game. I feel too many people think the putter is the most important club in the bag and is somehow more worthy than everything else. and worth hundreds when they actually suffer most form poor judgement of lines and speed. i also feel the makers play onto the fact that people feel its the most important. I see so many poor putting people with very expensive putters and very good putting people with relatively cheap putters.

this is not about all clubs and whether they are worth their price tags in genaral like 500 for a driver or 250 for a hybrid or a wedge etc....
I mean all top clubs are too expensive imo but simply just a question are you much better with an expensive putter vs a cheap one? even if the same style of putter? Or also...is it just placebo affect? I mean the price of the putter doesnt make you see the right line nor estimate the right speed. The right putter can make for a smoother stroke but if a cheap putter fits your stroke it can also do the same imo.

Ive heard many people talk about multiple putter changes through the years never finding the right one and even going back to older ones after changing again. i start to wonder they are looking for the putter that will put the ball in the hole for them. They just dont see/judge the right lines nor speeds and the putter isnt gong to fix that so they keep missing too often and keep searching the magic putter.

Thought this would be an interesting topic that was similarly brought uo by someone a long time ago if I recall correctly. .

Last edited:
Not sure how the Agera fits in you price spectrum, but I’m putting better than I ever have with it. In my hands.
The technology it contains is a huge benefit to my putting.

Not sure how the Agera fits in you price spectrum, but I’m putting better than I ever have with it. In my hands.
The technology it contains is a huge benefit to my putting.
not embarrassed to ask...I dont understand because what does Agera mean?

Ohh..its actually a putter...lol now your post makes a lot more sense.. Sorry lol
No worries. I should have been more clear.

I suck just a little bit less with my Scotty:p

I don't think price would matter as much as fit.

I can play a cheapo or a Scotty. It's all about finding one that feels good!

I am playing an expensive putter that I was fitted for. I currently believe that I could play a cheap putter if I got fitted for it properly.

If the question is really based in price, yeah it doesn't matter to me at all. As long as it kind of fits my eye, hang, and balance preference I putt nearly the same with just about any once I spend a little time with it. It's a hunk of steel. There are plenty of old Cleveland's and stuff I'd putt indiscernably well with.

I've played with a large spectrum of putters; from a homemade purple heart wood with brass face, to Northwestern, to customized Scotty Cameron, to Cobra Sport 45 with SIK insert. I can honestly say that I've had good results with each. BUT - they all fit my eye and swing stroke. And I think that's key. If you can find a putter that fits your game, it'll work.

That said - there's definitely something to this SIK face on my current Cobra putter. The DLT face is really something else, and has helped tremendously with my consistency.

.I feel and somewhat know my putting is the same whether cheaper or expensive.
Once any putter is comfy and matches you most (by far) is about your eyes and the line you pick and your speed guesstimate.
I feel there is far too much made of putters and outside of those couple/few things I mention most of it means little and is really all about your estimates of line and speed.

I'm currently putting with a putter I paid $14.95 + shipping I bought off of ebay. It was a fine putter in it's day with a groundbreaking fitting system. Nicklaus had one in his bag at the end of his playing days according to one of the people that owned the patents. Alas a lot of time has passed and Kirk Currie's putters didn't hold value quite as well as Scotty Cameron's but the bargain simply out putts my vast collection of putters.

My two back ups are an old Scotty Catalina and a 15 year old 2 ball blade.

I have 5 different style putters that putt equally well with.

My current gamer is my $2.99 Goodwill putter. It just feels more comfortable to use. It's also 38 years old.

The expensive one is my B1 Heavy Putter. I think I paid $99 on clearance for it.

The strange one is my Star Trek, Enterprise putter.

I also have a custom made Rail Gun putter. Some guy in Texas built it per my specs in his garage. I think a bigger company has bought him out.

I don't think price has a lot to do with playability, as long as the quality is there.

All a golfer can expect from a putter is to be able to roll a straight putt on their chosen line. Most of that is done with their own putting stroke.

I believe the technology in the Evnroll putters has definitely helped my putting. Not sure if it is enough to justify the huge price tag but I oh well.

Agree with the premise , as most of us predominantly play on greens that are , less challenging in terms of speed and condition.

it’s like would I drive better with a Ferrari ? Marginally? What’s the % difference etc … cost benefit analysis …

The tour players definetly need something custom as they play on manicured greens that are set at extreme levels of difficulty and pin placements equally so . It a raw test of the best .

You can look just as good in a $200 suit as a $1000 suit. You can get a gold wedding band from Kay Jewelers or you can get one from Tiffany & Co. There’s a difference. In both cases you have a suit and a ring, but if offered both for the same price, the choice is easy. Price is what you pay, value is what you get.

I have a Ping Anser 2 and a Scotty Cameron Newport 2. Basically the same putter, but night and day different. Putting is feel and feel is everything. If par is 72, that’s 36 putts. I’d say a club that accounts for half of the score is the most important.

You can take it with a grain of salt, I play a $34 driver and shake my head at people who drop $500 on a new one.

This is one of those situational things. Some golfers are such bad putters, it really wont make a difference. For others, its not so much about price but rather than fit. Does the alignment track with your eyes? The balance of the putter, and last the feel. More times than not a more expensive putter will feel better and offer better feedback. The only other “advantage” to an expensive putter is tighter specs and quality control. Other than that, your mainly just paying for a look/showpeice. Maybe it gives you a slight confidence boost but that can go pretty quick as well.

For me it’s fit and maybe tech if said tech assists your primary miss.

And @YukonLiving - I’d love to see photos of your homemade putter if you are able to share.

I putt with a $100 Wilson Bucktown. Love it and putt great with it. I own a Bettanardi but it’s the backup

I understand putters certainly have their R&D and the tech to go with them. balance, angles feel etc..
But imo outside of the shape , weight and style better suited to your stroke being the most important thing....I feel and somewhat know my putting is the same whether cheaper or expensive.

Once any putter is comfy and matches you most (by far) is about your eyes and the line you pick and your speed guestimate.

Putting has always been the one and probably only part of my game I never really suffered too badly from. Oh I have my bad rounds and stretches dont get me wrong lol. And Im certainly not any pro level or even scratch level at all at it. But relative to the rest of my inconsistent fails and game its usually the one area that i dont kill my game with too often and remains the more consistent part. (usually).

Ive always used cheap putters and even now with a more expensive one there is no difference in my game. I feel too many people think the putter is the most important club in the bag and is somehow more worthy than everything else. and worth hundreds when they actually suffer most form poor judgement of lines and speed. i also feel the makers play onto the fact that people feel its the most important. I see so many poor putting people with very expensive putters and very good putting people with relatively cheap putters.

this is not about all clubs and whether they are worth their price tags in genaral like 500 for a driver or 250 for a hybrid or a wedge etc....
I mean all top clubs are too expensive imo but simply just a question are you much better with an expensive putter vs a cheap one? even if the same style of putter? Or also...is it just placebo affect? I mean the price of the putter doesnt make you see the right line nor estimate the right speed. The right putter can make for a smoother stroke but if a cheap putter fits your stroke it can also do the same imo.

Ive heard many people talk about multiple putter changes through the years never finding the right one and even going back to older ones after changing again. i start to wonder they are looking for the putter that will put the ball in the hole for them. They just dont see/judge the right lines nor speeds and the putter isnt gong to fix that so they keep missing too often and keep searching the magic putter.

Thought this would be an interesting topic that was similarly brought uo by someone a long time ago if I recall correctly. .
In the most simple analysis. Putts make up the biggest % of any golfers strokes. So if you are going to go upscale on any club it makes sense to go upscale on the one which hits the most strokes. The Putter.

It's all about finding what fits your stroke and what you're comfortable with. I've seen some guys that area great putters that use a cheap old flatstick but it just plain works and they enjoy it. That's all that really matters in the end.

I think feel and feedback are often overlooked. How people use those fat granny grips is beyond me.

Yes and maybe.

A value priced putter can be effective assuming a consistent strike (strike location, speed and direction) results in consistent performance. It’s easy to get caught up in the “name” equipment and tote a flashy bag, but results are what matter.

Back