Car Detailing Thread

I use a pressure washer every time i wash or detail the cars. Mine is adjustable pressure so I can turn it down. Also I use a shorter trigger as well which makes it much easier. The trigger is MTM with a custom rubber coated nozzle from obsessed garage and the cannon is from griots.

5876DB6E-66BD-4EDE-8D26-6A9906922006.jpeg
E81A72A0-BDFE-4051-B9AA-63199F83CFA0.jpeg

Don't have swirls on this old guy either -- 42 years old and never seen a pressure washer or an automatic car wash...:eek::unsure::unsure:
I have had it for 36 years now and still going strong and looking great - for its age.
Plus has room for 2 sets of Golf Clubs in the trunk. (y)
No disrespect to your MB, Silver is the one color that you could scratch up as much as you want and not even know it :LOL: I do respect that it can fit 2 sets of golf clubs in the trunk, I can only fit one in my S2000. That is my one thing when buying any car is how the golf bag fits in it hah.

I use a pressure washer every time i wash or detail the cars. Mine is adjustable pressure so I can turn it down. Also I use a shorter trigger as well which makes it much easier. The trigger is MTM with a custom rubber coated nozzle from obsessed garage and the cannon is from griots.
Nice setup, awhile back I snagged an AR ANNOVI REVERBERI MV925 which is an Italian made short spray gun. Not super expensive and is very well built, need to upgrade the hose on my pressure washer tho, still using the factory Ryobi one that kinks easily. I also have been toying with the idea of upgrading my outdoor faucets to Aquor. Pretty slick and don't freeze etc.

No disrespect to your MB, Silver is the one color that you could scratch up as much as you want and not even know it :LOL: I do respect that it can fit 2 sets of golf clubs in the trunk, I can only fit one in my S2000. That is my one thing when buying any car is how the golf bag fits in it hah.

correct on swirls on silver/gray type -- which is why I kinda put it up there. wanted to add a bit of levity to the thread. :LOL:

I dont detail to a over the top level but have 2 beautiful C6 Corvette Grand Sports - one is Black and Beautiful.. never use a orbital polisher on a black car is my rule or on any car. Use only Straight line motion in washing and in waxing - basically it is pretty simple -- if you want swirls use anything that goes circular if you want no swirls you must go in a straight line on all paint cleaning and protecting and always the same direction on each panel every time you wash or wax.. Filled up with gas the other night - and under fluorescent lighting - a guy came over and said - Wow what a beautiful Corvette -- first black car I have seen that does not have Swirls everywhere.,!(y)

Your Vette looks great! Black is a PITA, but you can keep a black car swirl free with the correct polishes and pads. I prefer a traditional buffer(such as a Dewalt 849) over an orbital because it's faster. Certainly, a random orbital from someone like Rupes is safer to use for a beginner .

The best polish as the last step on dark colors is the 3M 06068 Ultrafine Polish used with their 5708 blue pad. I've tried dozens of other polishes, and none of them are as fast or effective for leaving a swirl free finish on dark colors. Lighter colors don't require this product, almost any polish from a reputable company will work. Full disclosure, I worked for 3M calling on the collision market for over 20 years before retiring in 2018. Part of my job was training body technicians(450 body/detail shops in my sales territory) how to do paint correction and they always wanted to see my demo on a black car, lol. :)

The best polish as the last step on dark colors is the 3M 06068 Ultrafine Polish used with their 5708 blue pad. I've tried dozens of other polishes, and none of them are as fast or effective for leaving a swirl free finish on dark colors. Lighter colors don't require this product, almost any polish from a reputable company will work. Full disclosure, I worked for 3M calling on the collision market for over 20 years before retiring in 2018. Part of my job was training body technicians(450 body/detail shops in my sales territory) how to do paint correction and they always wanted to see my demo on a black car, lol. :)
Like you said, 3M is what most collision shops use. Great products, but can be a bit expensive/hard to get for the average consumer. Meguiars makes a lot of body shop/professional line products like M100 etc. that work really well and won't break the bank. Rotary polishers are great for cutting fast, I use a smaller one for spot buffing and headlight restorations or when I wet sand spots. Wouldn't mind getting a larger one to buff the gel coat on my boat with a nice wool pad (y)

Like you said, 3M is what most collision shops use. Great products, but can be a bit expensive/hard to get for the average consumer. Meguiars makes a lot of body shop/professional line products like M100 etc. that work really well and won't break the bank. Rotary polishers are great for cutting fast, I use a smaller one for spot buffing and headlight restorations or when I wet sand spots. Wouldn't mind getting a larger one to buff the gel coat on my boat with a nice wool pad (y)

3M owns Meguairs(since 2008) and they make great car care products. I sold both and the marketing focus for Meguiars is geared towards consumer/diy. Meguiars has very good compounds/polishes but they use a lower percentage of abrasives in their forumulas so they are safer for an average diy user. They work, but take longer to get to the same result. Meguiars and everyone else also don't offer a polish as fine as the 3M #06068 so it can be next to impossible, depending on the clear coat, to get a swirl free finish on a black car. When calling on competive body shops, I'd always see our 3M 06068 on the shelf even though the other polishes and compounds were not from 3M. :)

FWIW, if you want a professional line compound that works faster than M100 at about the same price, try the mid priced 3M compound #05973. Amazon has it for $31/quart, about 40% less than the 3M Perfect-it EX compound.

Would like some suggestions on the easiest and most user friendly ceramic process for my car. It is less than a year old and the dealership put a 1 year ceramic coat on it, but want to get prepped for spring of this following year. Is the process just to clean, claybar, and then wax?

Again looking for something that is user friendly and quick. I hear good things about the Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray, but really not sure where to go from there.

Thanks in advance

Would like some suggestions on the easiest and most user friendly ceramic process for my car. It is less than a year old and the dealership put a 1 year ceramic coat on it, but want to get prepped for spring of this following year. Is the process just to clean, claybar, and then wax?

Again looking for something that is user friendly and quick. I hear good things about the Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray, but really not sure where to go from there.

Thanks in advance
First the "ceramic coating" your dealership put on probably was some type of spray ceramic sealant if it was only marketed as lasting 1 year. I don't think I have seen or heard of any high end ceramic coatings that are applied after a decontamination/proper paint correction that last less than 2-3 years.

It really upsets me how much dealerships take advantage of people with "extras". Everytime I buy a new car I literally tell them to not wash or detail the car at all, just leave it as is because its harder to un-do everything than just leaving it "dirty".

Even with a new car, you will get dealership and delivery imperfections in the paint.

Personally I would fine a qualified detailing professional or shop in your area (not a chain like Ziebart etc.) and have them do a proper 1 step paint correction and apply a 3-5+ yr ceramic coating.

Unless you have the proper tools/know how to paint correct and decontaminate your paint the right way, your just going to be throwing your money away. Like anything, without the right prep work the results will suffer.

Last edited:

Thanks in advance

Been very happy With this product. Easy to apply and lasts about 7-9 months in the Florida sun.

A question for those of you who reside in Florida or similar climate - I am going to be on a two week vacation in the Naples area at the beginning of October, and my F150 could really use a paint correction and wax. Despite it being my vacation, I think it would be an opportune time to do the work (couple hours in the morning shade/golf/chill/repeat)

I'd be relying on shade since I won't have a canopy or garage to put the truck under/in - any red flags I should be aware of, other than the product work time being shorter due to the higher temperature?

A question for those of you who reside in Florida or similar climate - I am going to be on a two week vacation in the Naples area at the beginning of October, and my F150 could really use a paint correction and wax. Despite it being my vacation, I think it would be an opportune time to do the work (couple hours in the morning shade/golf/chill/repeat)

I'd be relying on shade since I won't have a canopy or garage to put the truck under/in - any red flags I should be aware of, other than the product work time being shorter due to the higher temperature?
In general most abrasive polishes used for paint correction won't achieve there best results on warm/hot paint. You end up having the polish dry out or break down too fast mixed with the heat of the orbital buffer. I would not waste your time or sanity doing a full paint correction unless you have access to some type of shade (like an EZ up). If your trying to add some level of protection for the long vacation, I would just do a wash/light clay bar then apply a good spray on or liquid sealant. I always recommend Jescar Powerlock+ for cost, simplicity, and protection.

A sealant is what really protects the work you do prior to it, a wax IMO is just to boost clarity and richness of the paint and will wear off much faster.
I always tell people the best combo is apply a sealant like Jescar then follow that with a good liquid wax like Collinite 845. It is something that won't break the bank and will give you a really good level of protection for a few months or more depending on your climate/conditions.

Thanks in advance
If you do wanna try it yourself- I’ve had great success with the Adam’s products- There’s a graphene coating kit on Amazon for $120 that gives you everything you need to do the coating yourself. As others have said though, it’s only as successful as the prep work you put in beforehand.

If you do wanna try it yourself- I’ve had great success with the Adam’s products- There’s a graphene coating kit on Amazon for $120 that gives you everything you need to do the coating yourself. As others have said though, it’s only as successful as the prep work you put in beforehand.
Been dabbling with Adam's products over the last 2 years or so. Going to jump in and try my hand at the Graphene Coating, have it on order. Excited to shine up the old truck, and see how it turns out!

Been dabbling with Adam's products over the last 2 years or so. Going to jump in and try my hand at the Graphene Coating, have it on order. Excited to shine up the old truck, and see how it turns out!
Absolutely love the product! Have done my truck and wife’s car with quite a bit of success. Had about 25 hours total wrapped up in prep and application for both vehicles. (Total)

Best part is the maintenance afterwards- much much easier!

Absolutely love the product! Have done my truck and wife’s car with quite a bit of success. Had about 25 hours total wrapped up in prep and application for both vehicles. (Total)

Best part is the maintenance afterwards- much much easier!
That's what I'm hoping for, less maintenance and better overall protection.

I really am digging this spray, bought it in a whim. Easy to apply, easy to wipe off without streaking. Seems durable 🤷🏼‍♂️Screenshot_20221031-204451_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I’m a fan of it. Got close to a full year out of it with full sheeting of water still and that was just the spray. It was great on wheels to keep break dust at bay

I’m a fan of it. Got close to a full year out of it with full sheeting of water still and that was just the spray. It was great on wheels to keep break dust at bay
That's what I got, the spray. Seemed like the easiest to apply for my first time, and I'll take a full year and still performing.

Love the Graphene coating from Adams. Been using it on all the cars I’ve been doing lately. This was a 2009. Yes 2009 that I did a compound/polish and then finished off with Adams Graphene spray. My buddy sold this on his lot before it left my garage when the guy saw the pics.

71008752-39C1-4E5F-98CC-7C6018F195EA.jpeg0A01562E-C84A-497D-9568-5EBECBCBE73D.jpeg2D8F9642-32A1-4359-B766-5F2FEF421D6B.jpegBCF3DD5A-8067-4594-BC69-8B18689D68FD.jpeg

I'm a Meg's fan also, but I use the liquid version of the Ultimate. I considered the hybrid but decided to stick with the devil I know. Jeep looks good!
I'll need to try the liquid version!

I'll need to try the liquid version!
I do all of my work with a dual-action polisher, so it's super easy to apply the liquid using a beige pad. By the time I've gotten all the way around the truck I can switch over to my microfiber buffing pad and buff it all out. I don't think I've ever actually used a paste wax.

Back