Changing the Way Golfers Take Lessons

Having gone through GolfTec for 2 years before moving on, their program is very good. I just didn't like the fact I couldn't see the ball flight. Being told it was going to be a low shot/ high shot via a computer vs actually seeing the results in front of you is kind of important IMO.

Still, if you live in a place where you can't play for 3-4 months because of weather, it's definitely a solid investment.

I wish I could find the quote where Justin Leonard talks about going thru a swing change. He says it took 6 months and over 10000 balls on the range for the change to become ingrained into his swing. He then compares that to the average Joe that thinks they can fix something in a weekend.

While I agree that it takes more than one lesson for anyone to improve/change their swing it is just as important in my estimation to find a teacher who knows how to teach each person. Not everyone learns the same way and in order to reach a pupil it is important to find how each pupil learns the best. Some people learn through visual images, some through oral, some need a teacher to physically show them by moving their hands, arms etal to show what the swing is and how it feels. I myself learn best by seeing my swing on video and then getting feed back on what I am doing right or wrong. If I can't see what my body is doing during the swing it is hard to know/feel what I need to do to make a change. From the amount of teaching they do I expect they use many different methods of teaching based on the pupils need.

While I agree that it takes more than one lesson for anyone to improve/change their swing it is just as important in my estimation to find a teacher who knows how to teach each person. Not everyone learns the same way and in order to reach a pupil it is important to find how each pupil learns the best. Some people learn through visual images, some through oral, some need a teacher to physically show them by moving their hands, arms etal to show what the swing is and how it feels. I myself learn best by seeing my swing on video and then getting feed back on what I am doing right or wrong. If I can't see what my body is doing during the swing it is hard to know/feel what I need to do to make a change. From the amount of teaching they do I expect they use many different methods of teaching based on the pupils need.

Lots of great points in this thread.

Very cool to see this input from GolfTEC! I think their program is great and I love the high-tech equipment used as I think that's critical especially in the beginning.

I definitely had pre-conceived notions as well that only a couple lessons would be ideal but that's why my handicap is 19!

Aside from being more of an Ad. than an article the point about ongoing lessons is right on.

I don't understand why anyone would try to learn this game without the help of a pro, the learning curve is just too steep. I started with a series of group lessons for $25 through a local community college and then moved on to a series of individual lessons with a local pro for like $200 for 5 lessons. Best investment ever. I probably would have quit the game out of frustration otherwise.

I now take a lesson every few months to learn new skills and keep the swing in shape. While all this stuff costs money, shooting a new low score is priceless.

Thanks for the headsup on the article JB. This comes at a great time for me since my game has gone completely in the toilet. My handicap has blown up a full stroke the past two weeks and the harder I try the worse it gets. I can't hit an iron clean at all and have hit only two greens the past two rounds while posting alltime worse scores. Mentally and physically I'm toast and hate the game right now.

My solution is to take my green fee money and devote it to lessons for the next month to get back on track. Golftec will be on my list of facilities to visit. I have never had lessons and have been able to build a swing from other sources, but I have hit a wall and need some professional help. Hopefully it will have the dramatic effect that my game needs right now.

When I began playing nearly 50 years ago there were no teachers at our little course. So the long process of me learning to play the game began. I didn't think a teacher was necessary and just kept hacking away but when my daughter began to take an interest in the game, one time on the range was all it took for me to realize I couldn't be her teacher, she was doing lots of the same things I did. We got her set up with an old teaching pro and within a year she had a single digit handicap. It was amazing to see such a beautiful swing develop so quickly.

I still do not take lessons, I don't have a swing I just hit the ball. I suppose a series of lessons could make me score better but I had rather just play and enjoy the game, heck, maybe one day I will learn how it is supposed to be done.

This is very true. I've been taking lessons from my golf coach for years, maybe once every 2 or three months. I generally try to keep a log of my progress before and after lessons, and as I progress in my learning, the lessons become more and more worthwhile.

Well I'm coming back to golf after having not played in 25 years (high school). Before I even went to the driving range I went and took a lesson. Been doing about one lesson a week now for a while. Figure it was easier to get it right from the start than try and correct it. I have a shoulder injury I'm coming back to and my instructor suggested some things I could do to get a decent backswing without killing my shoulder.

It's been worth the money so far to me. Not only has he helped me in just the swing but is teaching me to "play the game" if that makes sense.

any talk of these coming over to the uk?

Back