Checkered's Journey to the Morgan Cup and Better Golf

Got out for 9 tonight. Managed to shoot 44 with two 3 putts. Nothing worse than double-bogey and had some good shots throughout the bag to keep things from getting worse. Only had one bad drive, ended up having to punch out to the fairway on the par 5 9th. Pretty happy with how it went overall. Definitely feeling better with putting and made a couple really long ones that were great to make. Pretty happy with how it went overall.
Is that back to back 44's? Nice work man!

Is that back to back 44's? Nice work man!
Yessir. Will see how i the next couple of rounds go, but feeling good about how things are coming together.

20230914_164220.jpg
Putting in work

Sloppy round tonight. Had some great shots mixed in with some dumb mistakes. Got to do better regardless of outside factors. Had fun though and the good shots were really good to see. 3W off the tee is turning to be a really solid option for me.

Playing 18 sunday at a course I haven't played in years. Should be a good test of where I'm at overall going into the Morgan Cup.

Out and getting ready for another round...
20230917_085000.jpg

Had a wedding this last weekend, but was able to get out to the range and a par 3 course. Trying to use what time i can to focus on short game for the next week. Rainy season is kicking in so playing again may not happen other than the par 3 course. I feel i am in a decent place though. Cobra clubs are incredible and so much fun to play I am freaking excited and can't wait. Soon...

Had a wedding this last weekend, but was able to get out to the range and a par 3 course. Trying to use what time i can to focus on short game for the next week. Rainy season is kicking in so playing again may not happen other than the par 3 course. I feel i am in a decent place though. Cobra clubs are incredible and so much fun to play I am freaking excited and can't wait. Soon...
Thought about you when I saw the weather for the next several days in your neck of the woods. Not good for golf.

Thought about you when I saw the weather for the next several days in your neck of the woods. Not good for golf.
Appreciate it. It was *pouring* today. Supposed to clear up for the weekend though. ::fingerscrossed::

Got out yesterday for one last run at the par 3 course and driving range. Was a beautiful day up here after a week of rain. So glad that worked out.

Overall feeling good about things. Irons were a little off at first, but as i got warmed up things came around. Chipping and putting were both decent though the greens were inconsistent and overall slow with all the recent rain. Feeling confident in being able to drive the ball and at least keep it in front of me. I feel good about just playing my game and whatever happens happens. I can focus on taking it all in and sharing with you all everything.

I can't say enough how much i appreciate all of you that have taken the time to follow my journey thus far. You are all awesome.

20231001_141514.jpg

20231001_150652.jpg

I'm pulling for you @checkered . Proud of the hard work you've put in to get to this point. Enjoy the ride.

It's getting close, all your hard work is going to pay off. Enjoy the Morgan Cup!

So 27.1 when you started the journey and 24.6 today?! That is some great progress. I look forward to following you in the MC

Thanks all, I appreciate the support greatly.

So I did some chipping practice and went out back and hit some balls for a bit today. Last bit of practice before I leave tomorrow. I've got my bags all packed and am checked in for my flight.

This has been pretty incredible leading up to this, and it's just the start of things. The next few days are going to be a whirlwind and a lot of fun. It will be over before we know it, but I plan to soak up every minute. I'm looking forward to competing with my team, and against Team Hackers. I have every intention of seeing our team win, but when all is said and done, my biggest hope is that we'll have done enough to ensure the Morgan Cup comes back for others to experience.

It's go time. It's the Morgan Cup.....I'm a Tour Player....this is going to be incredible!!

Hard work pays off dude! Loved reading about the grind.

Play well

Got out yesterday for one last run at the par 3 course and driving range. Was a beautiful day up here after a week of rain. So glad that worked out.

Overall feeling good about things. Irons were a little off at first, but as i got warmed up things came around. Chipping and putting were both decent though the greens were inconsistent and overall slow with all the recent rain. Feeling confident in being able to drive the ball and at least keep it in front of me. I feel good about just playing my game and whatever happens happens. I can focus on taking it all in and sharing with you all everything.

I can't say enough how much i appreciate all of you that have taken the time to follow my journey thus far. You are all awesome.
Look at @checkered with this pre MC statement.

With the right mindset, you can accomplish anything.

Look at @checkered with this pre MC statement.

With the right mindset, you can accomplish anything.
I'd say that mindset worked out pretty well! Nicely done John, you have officially gone down in the annals of Morgan Cup and THP lore, and you did it in sweet a$$ bearded style! Great prep work begets a great performance!

So the Morgan Cup has come and gone. I'm still pretty in shock of the whole experience. It was beyond anything I could have imagined. I'm happy how things worked out overall, but know I could have done better. I enjoyed the hell out of it, which was the main goal. That said, this is not the end of my journey, just the beginning. Next goal is AZ in April. So, I'll be trying to work on the tips from Jose and keeping my legs planted more through the winter as I can. net's been taken down so it will be all range and indoor work, with the random round here and there....which means not as frequent practice as before. However, I feel like with what I've learned I can keep things going in the right direction. We'll see how it goes.

So the Morgan Cup has come and gone. I'm still pretty in shock of the whole experience. It was beyond anything I could have imagined. I'm happy how things worked out overall, but know I could have done better. I enjoyed the hell out of it, which was the main goal. That said, this is not the end of my journey, just the beginning. Next goal is AZ in April. So, I'll be trying to work on the tips from Jose and keeping my legs planted more through the winter as I can. net's been taken down so it will be all range and indoor work, with the random round here and there....which means not as frequent practice as before. However, I feel like with what I've learned I can keep things going in the right direction. We'll see how it goes.
You did a great job at the Morgan Cup, I'd say your prep paid off well. Can't wait to see you in April!

You did great at the Morgan Cup on and off the course. If it was the beginning of your journey, then you’re off to a good start.

Not a pretty day, but got out for some range time.
1000011064.jpg

Bit of rust to shake off but productive overall. Gotta do this more often. These Cobra clubs are so good. Made me happy to hit them again.

Making a more concerted effort to take better care of myself and to get working on my game again. I need to find an instructor i feel comfortable with. Last one was good on some things and not on others. Till i sort that, i have drills to work on as i am just back to some old bad habits. Some rough strikes at first, but settled and kept it mostly in front of me. Chipping was better than i expected at least.

Lots of work to do.. time to get at it.

View attachment 9244811

Bit of rust to shake off but productive overall. Gotta do this more often. These Cobra clubs are so good. Made me happy to hit them again.

Making a more concerted effort to take better care of myself and to get working on my game again. I need to find an instructor i feel comfortable with. Last one was good on some things and not on others. Till i sort that, i have drills to work on as i am just back to some old bad habits. Some rough strikes at first, but settled and kept it mostly in front of me. Chipping was better than i expected at least.

Glad you are back to it.

View attachment 9244811

Atta boy, your camera must have flipped the picture horizontally though, everythings on the left side!

Back