Choosing your course--Does cost determine where you play?

teed-off

Reaction score
Handicap
Now that you have assembled your new driver, fairways, irons, bag, and, have also spent a good amount of money on lessons, clothing, balls etc, do you typically play the upper tier ($$$) courses, or are the local Munis for $25 (or less) a round good enough?

I have my favorites that I play, which range from upper tier to muni. I don't mind paying a high green fee if it's worth it. I know most courses in the area and whether the green fees are justified or not and stay away from the courses that are charging too much while offering too little. At the same time, there are a good amount of munis I'd be fine with playing most of the time I golfed if I had to.

I only have 2 choices where I live and opt for the less expensive public course. I typically opt to play courses that cost up to $40 max. Will splurge on i higher end courses from time to time.

Cost plays a significant role in where I decide to play. I was a hot deal/ezlinks promo code junkie the past few years. But the 4.5-5 hr rounds started taking it toll since they were mostly late morning early afternoon tee times.

This year, I decided to join a private club. Cost was a large component in this decision too. I didn't go w the most prestigious or the cheapest option. I chose one in the middle that had decent perks and relatively close to my home. Have been happy w/ the selection for the most part.

I play the munis during peak season mainly. If I can get a good deal on a higher priced course I will play them occasionally.

I usually don't balk at greens fee prices until I've played a course. No problem paying a little more for a nice course with a challenging layout and decent amenities.

A few weeks ago I paid $60 for 18 and a cart at a local "resort" that was a cow pasture, the layout was stupid, barely a kitchen (no breakfast option), and once we got there they indicated there was an event scheduled and we had 4 hours to fit 18 in (no mention of this when we made the tee time). I have no interest in going back there.

Definitely plays a factor. The more I save the more I golf, get lessons, buy equipment etc.

I take into account cost and proximity. However, this is coming from a college student who gets free/$5 golf almost anywhere.

I book a lot of my rounds through golfnow.
I have decided not to play some killer deals based on course reviews. I don't mind paying a bit more for pristine conditions.
But golfnow allows me to play some upper end courses at amazing prices.

I don't know if cost comes into play for me so much as value. Some days I am OK with a crappy course and as such don't want to pay very much. Other days I have $100 burning a hole in my pocket and I want a tour-level experience/challenge.

I try to limit green fees to $25 and under. Though once a month I might play a $45 course. That's about the most I will spend on any course.

I only have 2 choices where I live and opt for the less expensive public course. I typically opt to play courses that cost up to $40 max. Will splurge on i higher end courses from time to time.
You should work your way over to Colquitt and play Crooked Oak. That's a pretty nice course.

Price for me is the largest factor. I will splurge and spend some big $$$ on a high end course or when on vacation. But for day to day play, whatever is a decent value. Most decent courses around where I'm at in Florida are $15-30 with cart when booking online. I live right by a PGA course in Port St Lucie where a round right now is over $80 and will climb to well over $100 in our winter season. But I rather sacrifice some quality and play more often then to play very little just for a high end course. I can get 4-5 rounds for the price of one. I'm choosing more golf.

I like to stay around $35 for a round. I'll hit some nicer courses around her for $40 or so but on the same token I try to stay away from the sub $30 courses around here. Of course, I only get to play 3-4 times a month and not year round so it fits my situation.

I don't mind playing the muni courses but around here they even seem over-priced for what they offer. Price does play a large role in where I play and I look for early-bird and weekday specials. In season prime-time weekends are usually to rich for my blood. Don't mind paying a little more for a nice course I've never played, especially for outings with other THPers.

Aside from 5-10 times a year I'll keep it at under $30. That limits most of my play to weekdays and after 2:00pm. It works well enough.

I'm literally littered with courses within 45 mins to an hr of me and very few are munis. I don't look at cost as much as I look at course conditions and weather or not I like the lay out/challenge of the course.

I can walk almost any course for under 25 and ride most for less than 40. Some are nicer than others depending on the weather we have had.

Since I work at a course, I get to play quite a bit, and don't mind paying to go elsewhere once in a while, if it's a fun course. Most courses around us....within an hours drive....are less than $50 to walk on a weekend, and closer to $30 during the week. I look at conditions, and layout first. If I'm going to have some fun with friends, cost is secondary.

cost is a big factor for me living out here in Hawaii. Although some courses are right on the price point, the course itself just doesn't fit my game. So I'd rather pay a twilight fee and play on a course that I feel comfortable on. Muni's here are somewhat easy to get on but the quality from tee to green is not the best. Most of the greens at the muni's are super super slow which I really really really hate to put on.

Absolutely. ..locally I try to stay around 40...on trips etc its obviously more

Cost is a factor, mostly because it's normally 3 of us from my family going to play...so it adds up quickly

Cost is a factor when choosing courses defiantly, but only to a point. When choosing a home course, willing to pay a little more for something closer to my house and a layout that I won't get bored with quickly when playing frequently.

Yes. Cost does.

Nowadays staying within a budget is a must. Otherwise until I get the fully on board with the game a golf I would average a round a month. I like to keep it under 50/round.

Certainly does. If I can find a cheap golfnow deal at a course around the area I'm picking that first. So long as I can tell the difference between the rough and fairways.

Back