Classic Irons Shout Out

Those Wilson irons are beautiful Brad.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

What does the E mean in 2 -E ?

Love this thread! As you can see in my sig, I am still rockin a set of Ping Zing Orange dot irons. I recently took out my 3 & 4 iron because I don't really use them anymore. They were ahead of the times on over-sized irons (IIRC) and IMO still one of the best, but that might just be because I'm using them all the time. I've had mine for about 12 years, and really don't see why I would switch for a newer set. But I've been told that if I do ever switch, that my grandfather wants them back, as said he wishes he still used them. He was the one that gave them to me all those years ago. Pretty weird when you think about it, I use an iron set that is almost as old as I am lol.

I sent my irons into TM for warranty work so I had to pull out a set of System 3000's that were custom made for me in the late 90s. They have a regular stiff True Temper shaft and I wasn't even sure they were playable but wanted to golf while my irons were away.

So my first round out with them I'm babying them, barely swinging for fear of breaking them ... show my PB, an 80 first time out. Played with them for a month while my clubs were away, and in my last round with them on the day my new irons arrived shot a PB 76.

Not sure why they're tucked away after that, but hopefully these RBZs are even better after I get used to them.

That all said, it's nice to know that should I need a 2nd set of clubs I've got one if I need it.

It's really cool that you were able to compare these old irons to new ones and how well they worked. They're just too darn fugly for me!

My first set of irons were some Ping Eye twos that I loved. Shortly after getting on this site I decided I needed to ditch them for some new technology. Ever since I did that I've regretted letting them go because I loved them and would love to have a classic set in my stable. After reading this thread I decided to pull the trigger and pick up a set. So today I won a nice set of 4-sw BeCu Ping eye twos. Can't wait till they get here.

Congrats Lambro!

I gamed my Ping Eye 2s for the first time today. I moved up to the white tee box (6100 yards) because I kept thinking these might be a littler shorter and it was maiden round with them. I was suprised to see they were easy to hit and the ball was hardly noticable coming off the face. I kept reading and hearing about how these actually set the stage for the perimeter weighted clubs and now see why so many have raved over these 25 year sticks. They are forgiving and nearly as long as what I hit with my newer technology. I can see how the technolgy of newer shafts can be a huge benefit but for now I will stay with the original shafts.

I was hitting a 2 iron off the tee. A 2 iron for me was absolutely off limits but for some reason off the tee I was able to hit this one decently. Even got one exceptional strike that travled 220 yards. Hit a few other worm burners but I figured out why. I was trying to crush it and by just swinging the iron smoothly worked wonders. I think the 3i is about my limit for consistency which is a huge statement for me to even make. Now these were not as fogiving as my classic Ping Zings but they were still very good. Ended up shooting an 85 so I was quite pleased. Probably need to stay at the white tee boxes.

After a few more rounds I will probably send these to PING to get them refinished for their 25th anniversary. Loving my vintage clubs.

My first set of irons were some Ping Eye twos that I loved. Shortly after getting on this site I decided I needed to ditch them for some new technology. Ever since I did that I've regretted letting them go because I loved them and would love to have a classic set in my stable. After reading this thread I decided to pull the trigger and pick up a set. So today I won a nice set of 4-sw BeCu Ping eye twos. Can't wait till they get here.

That's awesome. The copper eye2s were my favorite growing up. Just a classic looking set of irons, and the copper is really cool.

I can't help myself. Ran across these today (3 -P). Made them an offer and walked away with the sticks for only 50 bucks. These have the PING Cushion JZ shafts and feel really good. Will pick up a SW and LW soon.

6uquberu.jpg

Also did a comparison between the ISI K and i 20 irons and was quite surprised at the result. Check these out. The ISI are from circa 1998. The back spin on the ISI was lower due to the clubs being older and they fact they were filthy. I was hitting them at store and the grooves were filthy. It took me about 45 minutes to get the grooves cleaned. I think whoever had these just let the dirt cake on. After cleaning they were in very good condition. May try to do another comparison over the holiday.

5e5yhydu.jpg

Last edited:
What does the E mean in 2 -E ?

'E' is the pitching wedge. I wouldn't bet the farm but have been told it comes from Hogan himself who claimed that his wedge was the great Equalizer.

Last month I was a walk on on the course I play every once in a while and got paired up with a 3 some that played vintage clubs, drivers, irons, wedges, putters and old balls as well. It was cool to see however the performance of those clubs was not comparable to clubs they play today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man you guys have me itching to do this. Maybe an old set of Pings or the TA 845's

Played with the ISI irons yesterday and was impressed. They were more forgiving than the EYE 2s and close to the ZINGS . I like the thin topline. played with original grips and hand was slipping. Had them gripped today and will game tomorrow to see how it goes. Had good success with 3iron off tee.

TapAhoy!

I have a set of Ping Eye 2s that my son actually gamed in a church outing a couple of weeks ago.I was using them until about three years ago!

Was able to get in a round today with the new grips on the ISI sticks. The new crips certainly made a difference. Ball striking was improved. Loved the round today. I hadnt told my buddy about these sticks and he could not believe how good they felt when he tried a few swings.

These are fast becoming my gamers and my Modern bag is getting jealous! SeeMoreGuy you know how I feel about the Classics!
ofer_zpsa70a5dc2.jpg
ofer1_zps8a708473.jpg
staff2_zpsce408911.jpg
aussies_zps4ab7d0d8.jpg
aussies1_zps785adfda.jpg
muirfieldputter_zps32dfc6d8.jpg

Funny thing is since purchasing the becu's I've been eyeing woods, putter and vintage bags. I'd love to play old school rounds with friends a couple times a year.

Very nice looking classics JohnnyH . Now I know where the phrase "I really hit that one in the screws" comes from. The woods are beautiful.

TapAhoy!

I would love find some old video of how they made the persimon woods.

TapAhoy!

Back