Cleaning Your Clubs

I bet you like "The Office", huh???

Is that show any good? I like Steve Carell and I've heard that it's pretty funny. I'm just not much of a sit-com guy.

i clean mine after every round. usually just plain ol soap and water. sometimes just water

I hated it at first but it has grown on me. JB and I usually have that one set to tape on our DVR. I don't get to truly show my personality on here but I am such a child at times.

Is that show any good? I like Steve Carell and I've heard that it's pretty funny. I'm just not much of a sit-com guy.

Never watched it, but a guy at work was going on about a "that's what she said" episode... heard the same story many times....

The real question is... do the nooks and crannies in the face of a golf club wear over time faster when cleaning them with water? hmmmmmmmm....

I think the dirt on the clubs would act as a abrasive if you try to rub it off with a brush first. Therefore I dip it in the bucket first, which has a couple of towels on the bottom, then pull it out and give it a good scrubbing. Then dip it in again. Im sure im wrong, its just the way I do it.

The only trend that I can pick up is that everyone has their own way to clean their own clubs... and we know that it's not with jelly.

Any thoughts on the rust issue? Have any of you had rusted or otherwise damaged clubs as a result of using water to clean?

its great but I actually prefer the original BBC show better. something about british humor always gets me.

its great but I actually prefer the original BBC show better. something about british humor always gets me.

It's the men dressed as women, isn't it? Yeah, thought so. :D

Weird huh, I had an ex GF who loved "Are You Being Served?" and got me hooked on it for a while.... then there is always Benny Hill

I always liked "Good Neighbors" and "Red Dwarf".

The only trend that I can pick up is that everyone has their own way to clean their own clubs... and we know that it's not with jelly.

Any thoughts on the rust issue? Have any of you had rusted or otherwise damaged clubs as a result of using water to clean?

It shouldn't be too much of an issue. If they do start to rust, give them a scrubbing (dry) with some steel wool, and wipe them down with a little bit of Naval Jelly, and wipe them back dry. Assuming they're chromed, just treat them like a car bumper (remember when they were steel, and not Rubbermaid?):D My clubs are all stainless steel, so as long as I wipe them dry, rust is never an issue.

I let my clubs soak for a few minutes in hot soapy water, and all the crud comes right off. I'll use a Scotchbrite pad, and a nylon bristled brush to scrub with, and Dawn dish soap like I mentioned before (it cuts crud the best, as well as any oils; I've used it on hot rods and machinery for my whole life, I'm a believer)

I rinse them with clean water from the hose, and dry them off with a towel before putting them back in my bag. Everything gets scrubbed, from the driver, and everything else down the line to the putter.

I played last night (it's $8 to walk the course after 5:00, a bucket of balls cost me that!) so I washed them tonight, so I can play on Saturday. I'll have to scrub them up Saturday night again, since I'm playing on Sunday too.

It shouldn't be too much of an issue. If they do start to rust, give them a scrubbing (dry) with some steel wool, and wipe them down with a little bit of Naval Jelly,

But there's no jelly in my navel. Only lint. :sad:

You're obviously doing something wrong then, Harry. :D

I clean my sticks after every round or practice session. I use warm soapy water; let them soak for a bit and brush the dire with an old toothbrush. I then wipe them off and return to the bag.

1. How often do you clean your clubs? (after each round, a couple times a month, year, etc.)
2. What do you use/recommend to clean your clubs? (club cleaner, soap and water, etc.)
3. Is it bad, or even possible, to over-clean? Can you damage your clubs by over-cleaning?

Any other input on this topic is more than welcome!

Thanks all!!!

My driving range has those water buckets with brushes - I normally clean everything I hit in those (other than driver, yes, I dunk my 3 wood!). That brush really does a good job cleaning the grooves.

After a round or hitting on a different driving range, I clean with just water, an old wash rag, and a scrub brush (nylon). Once I'm done I dry and put a bit of "Super Slick" on the heads as a rust preventative. It's an old shooter thing, I guess.

I don't think it's physically possible to over-clean unless you're using something highly corrosive.

as i always thought of it a clean club makes a clean shot!!!!!!!!

My old caddymaster used to tell us that a clean club is a happy club.

I wipe my clubs off after each shot, whether on the course or on the range (helps slow me down when practicing). I'll also take a tee and clean out the grooves.

I scrub the grips down every couple of rounds (when they start to shine). If they still shine, I'll take really fine grit sandpaper and try to lightly sand the shine off. I hate getting used to new grips, so I'll do this for a while. My 11 year old Hogans had the factory grips on them, and they really weren't in bad shape.

Weird huh, I had an ex GF who loved "Are You Being Served?" and got me hooked on it for a while.... then there is always Benny Hill

Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Back