Cleveland 588 Custom Driver Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP review of the new Cleveland 588 Custom driver. Ryan H goes in depth and has a ton of great information in this one.

http://bit.ly/K5TZhx

Great review Hawk. There is so much to be excited about for this driver. Low spin + forgiveness is a big win. Hugely adjustable, yet only $349 is another win in my book. Sounds like this has a lot of performance and tech packed into it, and should appeal to a lot of people.

The Cleveland staffers at the #THPMC are going to be pretty potent with this in their bags!

Nice review Ryan. I'd imagine the MC Cleveland staffers will be all over this one.

Good stuff, Hawk. Like always. The way the light reflects in the pic I bet the sun is brutal.

• Admin
Good stuff, Hawk. Like always. The way the light reflects in the pic I bet the sun is brutal.

When I was taking pictures of this one a month ago, I actually thought the same thing. However on the golf course, I had no issues at all.

For some reason, this year's list of drivers that I want to try out is pretty short compared to years past, but this one is at the top of the list. As a short guy, the ability to easily add weight with shaft length changes is a huge plus for me.

Great review Hawk. Adjustability, a premium shaft, the same vertical forgiveness with added horizontal forgiveness, and all for a fair price point. This driver seems like a winner for Cleveland.

Well done hawk. Love the feedback on toe misses and I really like the price point of 349. For what this driver appears to offer for most I think it's a great bargain

Nice Review Hawk. With the forgivenes and low spin I think I will enjoy this coming from my High spin with the Amp Cell. And something else I am not seeing is a mark or design for alignment on top of the driver head. I mean I imagine everyone knows where center is so I guess you dont really need that.

Hawk have you tinkered much with the settings yet? If so seeing more carry with the loft jacked up?

Solid review here Hawk!

I had no idea this was coming in at only 305 grams, lighter than I anticipated.

I really like the mid-launch low spin that this appears to have and am delighted to hear that forgiveness across the face has been improved.

Also think that this is the best looking driver they've produced with nice sleek enhancements to the sole.

Wonderful review Hawk. I agree that this head shape is a breath of fresh air for Cleveland - as much as I really enjoyed the Classic offerings (and game the original Classic) I think it was time for them to go in a slightly different direction. Keeping the low spin and sound/feel of the Classic (IMO the best sounding driver I've ever hit), while adding lateral forgiveness and improved VFT? Sounds like a winner.

I simply cannot wait to give this a swing.

Great review, Hawk. The color scheme on this thing is sick. I love the sound of a more shallow and wider face. That is the type of club I love. I also love your use of "regal" :D

I didn't notice anything outside on a decently sunny day. The light was about 4 feet away and directly overhead.

Hawk have you tinkered much with the settings yet? If so seeing more carry with the loft jacked up?

I did and yes it helped. Bumped launch angle up 3° and I got a little more spin.

Great review, Hawk. The color scheme on this thing is sick. I love the sound of a more shallow and wider face. That is the type of club I love. I also love you use of "regal"

Ha! Seemed like a fitting word.

Great review. I have the original Classic in my bag, so I am always interested in Cleveland's newest drivers (underrated for years IMO). I am liking all the adjustable features, especially the weight screws to be able to manage and change the swing weight to your preference.

Amazing write up Hawk. I loved reading everything about it. The indepth detail was perfect. I am so fired up to get this baby in my bag.

Outstanding review as always my friend. That driver is screaming my name, I can't wait to hit it. The fact that they put out another great low spinning driver that sounds and feels great doesn't surprise me, they seem to have it figured out for sure. I've loved their line up these last couple of years!

Outstanding review as always my friend. That driver is screaming my name, I can't wait to hit it. The fact that they put out another great low spinning driver that sounds and feels great doesn't surprise me, they seem to have it figured out for sure. I've loved their line up these last couple of years!

This is totally true and I feel like Cleveland is very underrated in this category IMO. Not necessarily by THP but by most golfers in general.

This is totally true and I feel like Cleveland is very underrated in this category IMO. Not necessarily by THP but by most golfers in general.

Even moreso, going back to the Cleveland Classic. It took alot of guts to go back to such a simple yet elegant design. Could have gone the wrong way but man that thing was awesome and it performed like a champ. Going to the next step in the adjustability market was a logical next step.

Even moreso, going back to the Cleveland Classic. It took alot of guts to go back to such a simple yet elegant design. Could have gone the wrong way but man that thing was awesome and it performed like a champ. Going to the next step in the adjustability market was a logical next step.

Exactly. I think they have done a great job evolving.

Pretty awesome review Hawk. Sounds like Cleveland has taken a major step forward this year with the 588. I may have to get my hands on one of these at one of the local shops around here.

The Classic is my favorite driver put out in the last couple of years. I really like what they have added to this one and I would love to get the chance to hit them side-by-side.

A better high toe miss from this than the last 2 classic drivers is a welcome change for me. Can't wait to check it out in person. Good job buddy

Low spinning, lighter weight and a smaller face - Yes please!! I didn't see one thing in the review that didn't scream awesome. Thanks Hawk for the review. I am very much looking forward to putting this through the motions.

Back