Cleveland 588 MT Irons Preview Thread

Hi all,

New to this forum so hello! I'd be interested to know people's thoughts on the 588 MT 3 Iron? Specifically as a driving iron type arrangement? I have sourced the club and shaft on eBay and I intend to pair it with a Miyazaki C. Kua 59 Hybrid shaft in stiff (ala Charlie Beljan - bit lighter weight on the shaft though!) I like the feel of a lighter shaft over something heavier despite a fast swing speed - personal preference I guess!

I game Adams XTD with the C-Taper 90 in Stiff, off a tee with the 22 degree 4 Iron I can carry approx 215 on a solid strike so I'd be hoping for about 230-240 from the 588 MT, is that realistic with that shaft combo? Gapping would not be an issue for this club being the top of the bag and being my fairway finder (in theory)

Reason I'm asking is as I can't test the club in that combo before I buy, and my wife keeps having a go at me for being a club Ho :p

I've tried to find the XTD 3 Iron, which is pretty much impossible in the UK, and as above, I would see the 588 as a forgiving Utility iron rather than a 3 iron I want to specifically gap and match with my 4-PW.

All the best!

Iain

There is lots of feedback throughout this thread on these, especially the longer irons.

Resurrecting an old thread.

Has anyone tried these with the stock graphite shafts? If so, what is your opinion of them? I bought a set with stock Actionlite 55g graphite shafts. Have not hear much about those. Thanks!

I have the stock graphite R flex in my bag right now. I find them to be true to flex as a slower swinger and I definitely see higher ballflight than I did on my last set of irons (D100 R flex steel). I'm holding more greens with these irons which is good, but my ballflight is still noticeably lower than a lot of guys I play with. Still, good set and a great value with them being a few years older.

Oh and JB can identify these irons by the sound of a single tee shot :D

Has anyone tried these with the stock graphite shafts? If so, what is your opinion of them? I bought a set with stock Actionlite 55g graphite shafts. Have not hear much about those. Thanks!

I have been gaming these for awhile now. Still like them a lot. I have changed everything else in my bag but not these.

I have the stiff graphite. I have played the steel as well. Both played about the same for me. I got the graphite for basically the same price as steel and I like them.

They hold up just fine for my SS. Which is roughly 100 MPH with a driver.

Those are underrated graphite shafts. I'm sure they are cheap, but they perform well. I've seen no need to upgrade them and would tell anyone to try them out before spending any money on shafts.

I find them really good they are light but true to flex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Aerotech SteelFiber i95's are the perfect shaft weight for replacing the Cleveland stock steel shafts in these irons assuming you want to keep the same stock (longer-than-standard shaft length) club length. (The same applies for the 588 TT's which comes stock with the same steel shaft).

The Cleveland Action 85 stock steel shaft is 95-grams in stiff flex, and exactly the same weight as the Aerotech SteelFiber i95 graphite shaft. The identical weight makes the SteelFiber i95 a perfect replacement shaft.

Last edited:
I am looking to buy a set of these. Any of you still have a set you would want to part with? Looking to build a combo set and I could go with a short set starting with a 6 iron through PW or DW. I would buy a full set if thats what you have...... Thanks

I am looking to buy a set of these. Any of you still have a set you would want to part with? Looking to build a combo set and I could go with a short set starting with a 6 iron through PW or DW. I would buy a full set if thats what you have...... Thanks

PM sent

Back