Cleveland 588 Wedges - Everything You Need To Know

I have a list and it is VERY long. Every 2 degrees from 46 to 64 with lots of different bounce options. Still using the 1, 2 or 3 dot system.
And like you said, if its not listed, custom is available.

Oh sweet jeebus! You just made my day, I didn't think a lower loft would be available.

Played this again yesterday. Actually holed out on 18 from 64 yards with it. Obviously not an indicator that this works, but found that pretty cool. Absolutely love the shape and balance of this wedge. Everything I wrote previously I feel even stronger about today.

Played this again yesterday. Actually holed out on 18 from 64 yards with it. Obviously not an indicator that this works, but found that pretty cool. Absolutely love the shape and balance of this wedge. Everything I wrote previously I feel even stronger about today.

You're killing me. I can't wait until these are avaliable to the rest of us.

JB, what in particular about the new 588 do you like more than the Jaws wedges? I know you spoke about weighting but I am curious about the other areas where you see improvement.

I want to move to a 54 & 58 setup and these two are on my short list.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

You're killing me. I can't wait until these are avaliable to the rest of us.

Yeah seriously! These things are going to be so gorgeous I cant wait for the website to go live.

JB, what in particular about the new 588 do you like more than the Jaws wedges? I know you spoke about weighting but I am curious about the other areas where you see improvement.

I want to move to a 54 & 58 setup and these two are on my short list.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I am in the minority that I did not "love" the Jaws wedges. I liked them definitely and they play fine, but they were missing something for me. As the lofts got higher (58 and 60) I struggled with turf interaction and versatility.

The original 588 and this one even more so, has the look and versatility that make it perfect for my game.

I am in the minority that I did not "love" the Jaws wedges. I liked them definitely and they play fine, but they were missing something for me. As the lofts got higher (58 and 60) I struggled with turf interaction and versatility.

The original 588 and this one even more so, has the look and versatility that make it perfect for my game.

How or why better than the Ansers?

Do you like Ping?

Hhahaha I do, was just wondering as JB seemed to really like the Ansers- and I was wondering what separated the two for him.

I have played Cleveland wedges in the past and do love them as well. I would personally put my PING tour s and my Cleveland wedges 1. and 1A. Just curious.

Hhahaha I do, was just wondering as JB seemed to really like the Ansers- and I was wondering what separated the two for him.

I have played Cleveland wedges in the past and do love them as well. I would personally put my PING tour s and my Cleveland wedges 1. and 1A. Just curious.

I was just being silly man, its a good question really. There are so many great wedge options coming out right now, its going to be hard to choose.

I was just being silly man, its a good question really. There are so many great wedge options coming out right now, its going to be hard to choose.

Agreed - it is def. a very big year for many of the OEM's in the wedge department. Good year to be in the market!

How or why better than the Ansers?

Versatility and options are two things that come to mind immediately. They also have a different impact sound/feel. Im not a big believer in the "one is better", but rather one is better for me. The Anser wedges are very good wedges. For some, the fact that they are around $50 more per wedge is a red flag immediately (including me). The fact that the 588 has so many custom options available to them is a big plus. As well as the fact that off the rack, they have way more lofts and bounce options.

Add to that that I think the sole and leading edge make them slightly more versatile (to me) and I think they have a winner on their hands.

Thanks for the updates on these, JB. Nice shot from 64 yards as well! Looking forward to seeing the site when it's up and running.

Hit the course again today and because of my poor play off the tee, found myself scrambling more than normal. The 588 delivered in every aspect. There is a comfort that these have for me that is hard to explain, but the shape is so good and the weighting is so perfect. Wet grass, deep rough, rock hard fairway with tight lies and bunkers. No hole outs this time, but 3 sand saves.

All in all, when they come out, they will be in my bag in full. I am really getting all the swings comfortable (1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full) and with each round out, I like them more than the last. A rarity for me.

Hit the course again today and because of my poor play off the tee, found myself scrambling more than normal. The 588 delivered in every aspect. There is a comfort that these have for me that is hard to explain, but the shape is so good and the weighting is so perfect. Wet grass, deep rough, rock hard fairway with tight lies and bunkers. No hole outs this time, but 3 sand saves.

All in all, when they come out, they will be in my bag in full. I am really getting all the swings comfortable (1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full) and with each round out, I like them more than the last. A rarity for me.

Exited to hear it JB! I want to get these so badly when they come out!

You really make it hard to wait till November! any word on when the website is going to launch?

You really make it hard to wait till November! any word on when the website is going to launch?

All we know is on or around the same time as the wedge launch.

Played these side by side with some other wedges this weekend and to me these offer better performance for my game. Between the not too sharp/not too rounded leading edge, perfect weighting as in not too head heavy and a great sound/feel, the 588s offer exactly what I have been looking for. Its no wonder that half of their tour staff has already changed to the new model.

Played these side by side with some other wedges this weekend and to me these offer better performance for my game. Between the not too sharp/not too rounded leading edge, perfect weighting as in not too head heavy and a great sound/feel, the 588s offer exactly what I have been looking for. Its no wonder that half of their tour staff has already changed to the new model.

I normally love your equipment updates but you're killing me with these. I want these wedges so bad, and every great write up from you just reminds me that I can't buy them yet.

A question for you JB, to this point are you leaning towards the stock steel shaft, or either of the two Miyazaki wedge shafts?

I normally love your equipment updates but you're killing me with these. I want these wedges so bad, and every great write up from you just reminds me that I can't buy them yet.

A question for you JB, to this point are you leaning towards the stock steel shaft, or either of the two Miyazaki wedge shafts?

Right now I am really torn. I definitely like the Miyazaki shaft quite a bit, but also am LOVING the new Cleveland TC shaft. Its like the DG Spinner shaft but better for me.

Right now I am really torn. I definitely like the Miyazaki shaft quite a bit, but also am LOVING the new Cleveland TC shaft. Its like the DG Spinner shaft but better for me.

Well that says a lot for me, I didn't like the DG spinners as much as some and actually preferred the KBS Hi-Rev shafts in my wedges, because it gave me a slightly higher ball flight than the spinners. This is going to be a tough choice when they are available.

Thanks for the writeup JB! I'm looking forward to bagging these, but I want to hear which shaft you like better and try both shafts for myself first. So excited. :D

JB I really like the leading edge of the Nike's. Are the 588's similar to that?

JB I really like the leading edge of the Nike's. Are the 588's similar to that?

Very much so. In fact very similar to the original 588s which I think the Nikes are similar to.

Back