Cleveland CBX4 Wedges Review

Every time I’m in the store I fondle these.

I could 1000% play them, even in the lob, and I manipulate the hell out of the face on that club with how I play. The C-grind gives ample ability to do that imo.
Definitely. While I used them outdoor successfully, I always figure if I can hit them open face off a Softy, I can hit them off anything. That's as tight as it gets.

I was playing my set AW for a lot of partial shots. Since I got this the 52 the CBX4 has pretty much been my exclusive club for 50-80 yards. Love it for the partial swing shots.

I have used the 50/54/58 from day 1. The 58 has a C grind and is very easy to open up. Not going to look like a no-bounce 60 obviously, but that's not really a mental block for me. I just trust it and it does it's thing fine.

Every time I’m in the store I fondle these.

I could 1000% play them, even in the lob, and I manipulate the hell out of the face on that club with how I play. The C-grind gives ample ability to do that imo.
You guys have sold me. I went slightly different shaft with the 54. Once I confirm I like it, I'll order the lob wedge to go with, likely the 58 since that is what I am accustomed to.

I was playing my set AW for a lot of partial shots. Since I got this the 52 the CBX4 has pretty much been my exclusive club for 50-80 yards. Love it for the partial swing shots.
And maybe a 48 or 50.... I would want to test that on the monitor to figure out my gapping.

You guys have sold me. I went slightly different shaft with the 54. Once I confirm I like it, I'll order the lob wedge to go with, likely the 58 since that is what I am accustomed to.
I don't think you'll be disappointed. The sole alone should save you some shots. I absolutely love the RTX6, but man. I still have a few scalping incidents at Ballyhack that haunt me lol. I think if I look at how I came away feeling about my wedge game between Bally (RTX) and Briggs (CBX4) there's tangible evidence of what I should be playing.

And maybe a 48 or 50.... I would want to test that on the monitor to figure out my gapping.
Yeah I definitely need to do that. I have some overlap in my wedges for sure. But I don’t really mind that. I like hitting partial shots with my AW the 52 and the 54. I probably would swap out the 54 for a 56 to tighten those gaps and keep the extra wedge.

Definitely. While I used them outdoor successfully, I always figure if I can hit them open face off a Softy, I can hit them off anything. That's as tight as it gets.
Agreed!

My new CBX4 58* came in yesterday, and I was able to hit some full shots with it......so far so good. My full shots were 75 yards compared to 95 yards with my CBX4 54*.
I cannot wait for the weather to break so I can go to the golf course and see how I like it around the green.

My new CBX4 58* came in yesterday, and I was able to hit some full shots with it......so far so good. My full shots were 75 yards compared to 95 yards with my CBX4 54*.
I cannot wait for the weather to break so I can go to the golf course and see how I like it around the green.
Given I am looking to add a 58 I will be following you intently. Good luck with them on course!

Posted these details elsewhere, but people read what they read and it might come in useful. I reshafted these wedges into DART 105's, so wanted to see how that impacted my partial wedges in particular. I'm pretty familiar with where I normally am on those swings as far as launch/spin/trajectory goes.

From what I'm seeing, dropping graphite into these will be a great move for me.

I did this little test with both the Chrome Tour and Tour X using the 54 and a 75%'ish swing.

Chrome Tour X
1709908322148.png
Chrome Tour
1709908341307.png

Here's a pic of one shot with the Chrome Tour to give an idea of the ball flight.
IMG_9171.JPG

Oh, and worth mentioning, but unrelated to the test above for the most part.

If we are comparing center strikes with these and RTX6, I see more spin and lower launch from the RTX6. The lower CG of the CBX4 is going to have that impact on launch conditions. That really should go without needing to be said, but in case anybody is wondering.

Finally hit a practice green yesterday for the first time in a really long time. I obviously putted and chipped, but threw in some green side pitches from light and heavier rough. This is the most green grass I've seen in March since maybe 2012. Kinda crazy.
Anyway, aside from the first run at Briggs I don't think I've focused much on green side shots with the CBX4. Aside from shaking off rust and beginning the annual short game rebuild, I wanted to see if was going to be able to validate my Briggs thoughts.

I'll just say again I don't think you can stick this in the "lacking versatility" bucket. This is a tiny practice area and I was able to hit tons of different shots with success.

From the fairway lies I was able to hit all the normal shots I would like a standard chip shot, low chip shot, spinny chip shot (slight open face), "use the bounce" putter stroke chip shot, short pitches high and low, open face lobs. You get the point.

From the rough, both good lies and bad, I was able to execute what was needed as well. Hit both longer and short-side shots from every type of lie I could manufacture.

Finally hit a practice green yesterday for the first time in a really long time. I obviously putted and chipped, but threw in some green side pitches from light and heavier rough. This is the most green grass I've seen in March since maybe 2012. Kinda crazy.
Anyway, aside from the first run at Briggs I don't think I've focused much on green side shots with the CBX4. Aside from shaking off rust and beginning the annual short game rebuild, I wanted to see if was going to be able to validate my Briggs thoughts.

I'll just say again I don't think you can stick this in the "lacking versatility" bucket. This is a tiny practice area and I was able to hit tons of different shots with success.

From the fairway lies I was able to hit all the normal shots I would like a standard chip shot, low chip shot, spinny chip shot (slight open face), "use the bounce" putter stroke chip shot, short pitches high and low, open face lobs. You get the point.

From the rough, both good lies and bad, I was able to execute what was needed as well. Hit both longer and short-side shots from every type of lie I could manufacture.
Man I love hearing all of this. Esp that you are out on green grass this early in the year…crazy right?

I think even going back to the original CBX design it was easy and somewhat lazy for people to classify this line as one that lacks versatility. It’s one aspect I felt Cleveland has nailed with CBX is that they made a sole that is thicker but still allows golfers to play a variety of shots.

Now I need you to teach me that spinny chip shot.

Man I love hearing all of this. Esp that you are out on green grass this early in the year…crazy right?

I think even going back to the original CBX design it was easy and somewhat lazy for people to classify this line as one that lacks versatility. It’s one aspect I felt Cleveland has nailed with CBX is that they made a sole that is thicker but still allows golfers to play a variety of shots.

Now I need you to teach me that spinny chip shot.
Agree with you on that. I didn't really have a chance to figure that out last year, because I only had the 46/50 in the bag.

I saw a video of Billy Horschel explaining that shot btw. It pops up on social every now and then. The biggest key is a slight open face.

That is exactly what I found after a few rounds with it and hence why I went that direction for wedges this year.

A couple recordings of two very similar, but different wedge shots. I want to say these were with the same ball, but the truth is I can't say for sure whether either was a Chrome Tour or Chrome Tour X. I wasn't paying a ton of attention at the moment. Only real difference between the two shots was the face closed down a bit on the lower spin one. A bit more inside too I guess. Don't mind the "miss" - I set the green for 70 yards and didn't realize it was too close for what I was practicing.

54 degree CBX4/Recoil Dart 105. This is very good performance for a 75% swing in my world. As noted before, they definitely launch a bit higher than a blade wedge for me, which they should considering their weight distribution.

View attachment IMG_9297.mov

View attachment IMG_9298.mov

View attachment IMG_9297.mov

View attachment IMG_9299.mov

The waiting is killing me…. ( I’m think it’s two weeks tomorrow so it’s a me issue but I want to get it in hand!)

Getting used to the size has been tough but EVERYTHING else is great about the cbx4. The 56* RTX full face 2 is my highest lofted wedge that handles all of my open face work. The 52* CBX4 handles everything between 25-105 yards and does a great job!

I get handsy with those tweeners sometimes and that gets the hosel involved more than I would like. Its hard to hit the hosel when it's in a different county.

Really thinking of adding in two of these - a 46 and a 50, and then blending into a 54/58 RTX6.

Last edited:
Just put the 50° of the CBX4 in my bag w/ Recoil Dart 105, looking for to getting it on the course with this shaft.

My 52 is one of the strongest clubs in my bag. Still struggling a bit the 58, all my issues.

I have the 50° CBX4 in the bag w/ Recoil Dart 105. And after one round, it like my favorite club in the bag. The bounce makes it easy to hit bump & runs when you come up short of the green. And on 3/4 & full swings, this club is money.

This might be recency bias, but this head and shaft combo feels great, and so far I’m glad I went with this wedge instead of the set AW.

The 52 has quickly become my go to for just about everything between under 80. I’m also using it for a large chunk of my chipping.

Mine shows up Tuesday!!!

I am just so into the 54/58 CBX4 right now. This happens sometimes when I use a certain club more than others to dial in swing changes, but the consistency I'm seeing with partial swings is just so dialed. I ran through a skills assessment with 50% and 75% swings and came away with something like a 2 index.

My miss on the face tends to be low toe and that's a very good miss with these wedges. Probably around 95% the expected distance.

Back