Cleveland CG Black Driver Forum Testing Review Thread

Hit the range for a little while this afternoon...couldn't resist since it was 65* and mostly sunny. I really paid attention to keeping my lower body quiet, as I have been a little lax in this area lately. Once I got warmed up, it was time to hit the CG, which doesn't necessarily feel like practice anymore, because it is so much fun to hit. I hit probably 30 drives today, and only mishit 4 or 5. I will be playing 9 tomorrow afternoon, when it is supposed to be latest 70, so this may be the last fairly warm weather of the season.

You guys may have stated this in an earlier post but sorry if I missed it. Are any of you that have a right to left shot pattern as your normal, still seeing high fades when trying to work your draw shot?

Most of the time my normal shot is either dead straight or a slight draw. When my lower body gets a little loose or I catch it closer to the heel, then yes my miss is a high fade. I think for me it is a change in my plane causing a lot more side spin. That being said, there have only been a few of these high fades that have been bad. Most of them have still not been that far off the fairway, with the most noticeable problem being the loss of distance.

Most of the time my normal shot is either dead straight or a slight draw. When my lower body gets a little loose or I catch it closer to the heel, then yes my miss is a high fade. I think for me it is a change in my plane causing a lot more side spin. That being said, there have only been a few of these high fades that have been bad. Most of them have still not been that far off the fairway, with the most noticeable problem being the loss of distance.

Thanks Chewie. All of you guys are bringing some awesome reviews and info on this driver!

You guys may have stated this in an earlier post but sorry if I missed it. Are any of you that have a right to left shot pattern as your normal, still seeing high fades when trying to work your draw shot?

I have had issues with drawing this driver OG. I think Dean and JB would tell you that I had no issues in FL with the other driver I played with drawing the ball. I just can't seem to do much more than play a fade with this driver. I'll be working on it though

I have had issues with drawing this driver OG. I think Dean and JB would tell you that I had no issues in FL with the other driver I played with drawing the ball. I just can't seem to do much more than play a fade with this driver. I'll be working on it though

Thanks buddy. This makes me wonder if the face is slightly open on this model or is it square?

Thanks buddy. This makes me wonder if the face is slightly open on this model or is it square?

It is a draw biased driver so that should make it slightly closed I think. I honestly don't know why I"m struggling to draw this club

that is strange Chunky because in FL you had no issue drawing any driver that we hit. Except for when you went to your stack and tilt swing hehe

that is strange Chunky because in FL you had no issue drawing any driver that we hit. Except for when you went to your stack and tilt swing hehe

Haha that was abandoned quickly

Haha that was abandoned quickly

that's too bad, I was looking forward to seeing that swing more often:alien:
I'm still kind of surprised that you can't draw this on command. It seemed like that was something you could do at will down in FL with every club out there.

that's too bad, I was looking forward to seeing that swing more often:alien:
I'm still kind of surprised that you can't draw this on command. It seemed like that was something you could do at will down in FL with every club out there.

I don't think I'm trusting it yet. I think it's going to come.

To me it sets up a little closed but at times I'll notice my setup was a little off and I'll see the face sitting neutral or slightly open. I think it has to do with taking your grip before you address the ball or sitting the club down, then taking your grip.

I'll be playing after the demo day tomorrow so I will update afterwards.

Honestly the few times I have tried to draw this thing I have either had a very very small draw or a huge hook lol. Then again I have never been one to try to draw anything with a driver.

Test Date: 12/15/11
Testing Club: Cleveland Black Driver 10.5* with C Kua 39S shaft
My Prior Club: Taylormade Tour Burner 10.5*, stiff flex
Ball Used: Srixon Z-Star
Environment: Partly cloudy, 70*
, Right ankle in brace

Got out to play 9 this afternoon, and I was happy with the driving this afternoon. I hit 5/7 fairways, and was really hitting it solid excepy for a couple misses.

Hole 1 - slight draw about 270 yds
Hole 2 - slight draw about 260 yds
Hole 3 - pushed it about 210 yds, abut was not in too much trouble
Hole 4 - Par 3
Hole 5 - slight fade, dogleg right, about 250 yds
Hole 6 - slight draw, dogleg left, about 230 yds
Hole 7 - Par 3
Hole 8 - Killed it dead center uphill about 245 yds, and sank a 40ft putt for birdie
Hole 9 - this was my high fade miss, but it is a longish par 5, so I was still able to par it with a good putt

This afternoon I was really good about keping my lower body quiet which gave me good control on my drives. The CG was solid today, and I really didn't ever feel like I was trying to kill it to get my yardages.

Test Date: 12/15/11
Testing Club: Cleveland Black Driver 10.5* with C Kua 39S shaft
My Prior Club: Taylormade Tour Burner 10.5*, stiff flex
Ball Used: Srixon Z-Star
Environment: Partly cloudy, 70*
, Right ankle in brace

Got out to play 9 this afternoon, and I was happy with the driving this afternoon. I hit 5/7 fairways, and was really hitting it solid excepy for a couple misses.

Hole 1 - slight draw about 270 yds
Hole 2 - slight draw about 260 yds
Hole 3 - pushed it about 210 yds, abut was not in too much trouble
Hole 4 - Par 3
Hole 5 - slight fade, dogleg right, about 250 yds
Hole 6 - slight draw, dogleg left, about 230 yds
Hole 7 - Par 3
Hole 8 - Killed it dead center uphill about 245 yds, and sank a 40ft putt for birdie
Hole 9 - this was my high fade miss, but it is a longish par 5, so I was still able to par it with a good putt

This afternoon I was really good about keping my lower body quiet which gave me good control on my drives. The CG was solid today, and I really didn't ever feel like I was trying to kill it to get my yardages.

Nice update Chewie! Im dying to get out and play with mine but it looks like it wont be until next year maybe.

Nice chewie cant wait to get to the range with mine.

Found a 9* head to put up side by side with my 10.5* today. The wind was up so it wasn't the best scenario, but wind is a part of the game. Launch and Ball flight was a little lower at its apex with the 9* but perceived distance seemed to be unchanged. With the 9* my dispersion was a bit tighter than the 10.5* I found the 9* easier to turn over for whatever reason.

With the 10.5 my stock swing is a fade, however on the 9 I was seeing a primarily straight to very small draw. I wanted to get them both on the monitor but due to the tech doing a fitting I wasn't able to do so. Seeing so many people hitting this driver and smiling after seeing how long it is was a great feeling. This is a driver that can help many many golfers find more fairways and gain some distance.

Great updates and info guys. Chewie - man you are starting to crush that bad boy! SW, I've never been a guy with the skills to hit a 9*, too much side spin, but your thoughts about dispersion are interesting to me. Maybe I could hit a 9er with the CG Black.

As for me, I'm 4 days into a crazy crazy work environment, I hope to get to the range tonight or tomorrow and out to the course this weekend.

Great updates and info guys. Chewie - man you are starting to crush that bad boy! SW, I've never been a guy with the skills to hit a 9*, too much side spin, but your thoughts about dispersion are interesting to me. Maybe I could hit a 9er with the CG Black.

Yeah, I have never really had a driver before where I had complete confidence to just swing and know that more than likely I was going to hit the fairway.

Yeah, I have never really had a driver before where I had complete confidence to just swing and know that more than likely I was going to hit the fairway.

Chewie seems like you've found a nice fit with the Black. Good stuff!

Just went for a quick range session since I haven't really been able to swing this thing as much as I would like lately.
Started with PW for 10 shots then 7 Iron for 10 more and driver for the next 50 balls.
I was hitting range balls that ranged from new to really dirty. Very strong wind directly in my face (video was ruined because all you could year was the wind)

I worked in groups of 10 balls where I tried to hit different shots/add distance. First 2 were about shaping and were not 100% swings. The last 3 was where I tried to work things together.

1st- 10 balls trying to hit a fade. This was really easy to do for me since it is my natural shot so no surprises with the results.

2nd-10 balls trying to hit a draw. I dont ever try to hit a draw with a driver mainly because I never practice it and since it feels weird to me. First shot was straight and the next 2 were kind of low pulls. The fourth shot felt great and it drew about 10 yards and was much longer than anything I had hit previously. I slowed down my tempo a lot for the last 6 balls and found it really easy to draw as soon as I saw what it was supposed to look like. I was surprised I was able to do it since in the past I end up pulling the ball and having a terrible drive. This shot really takes me out of my comfort zone.

3rd- 10 balls I was working on just going after the ball as hard as I could. I was very inconsistent in my swing because I was rushing way too much but I wanted to show myself the club holds up to a fast swing. I was disappointed and frustrated but honestly that was what I should have expected since I wasn't even taking a good swing just trying to load the shaft as much as I could.

4th- 10 balls I took no break in between swings. I started at 80% and built up from there to get consistency back in my tempo while swinging full. Saw all 10 balls follow the same line which was a slight fade of about 10 yards. I figured I was ready to see what I could squeeze out of this thing now.

5th- 10 balls full swing while aiming at a palm tree at the end of the range with 10 yards on each side to make my imaginary fairway. First off just want to say that 10/10 were in the zone and 7/10 were within a few feet of the palm tree line. I didnt let my left arm give out like I normally do and I saw these shots going 230 yards (carry) into the wind when everything I was hitting earlier was landing at about the 200 yard marker.I cant really explain the feel but when you really hit the ball square its just makes you smile because you know that thing is gone. I loved the sound/feel of my R9 SuperTri but that thing doesnt even come close when side by side with this thing. This range session really showed me that I can rely on this club more than I previously thought and I had a ton of confidence in it already.

I left one ball tee'd up after I finished and walked around a bit before I hit it. I wanted to see how I would do after all of this work if I came up to the ball "cold" and just lined up to hit as if I was on the teebox playing a round. I picked my target and hit a ball dead center of the face right on my target line with maybe the slightest fade but exactly the height I wanted and hit my longest drive of the day. Not a bad way to leave the range and I still felt like I could hit another 50 balls with ease...I love this club.

Sounds like a great range session concept! Like I have said before, once you get in a grovve on the range with this driver, it is really hard to put down. Good stuff.

Good stuff cOncept.

That is a great update Concept. I love doing things like that at the range

Hey all, sorry I haven't been updating this thread with my ususal regular test posts. Since I moved my back has really been giving me hell. Last night I finally got a decent night's sleep but my back struggled on the range today. On the positive side of all that pain wasa new appreciation of how great this club is for slower swing players. For the most part my SS is right around the upper limit of what this club considers the target audience. I was also hoping to get sone launch monitor time to show my numbers, but until then, call it gut feeling and remember that everyday I've been shufflin' shufflin'.

But I digress...since I couldn't take full swings, all I could do is take partials with a significantly slower SS and wow, did the CG Black deliver! Sure, I didn'tget the distance, but the drop off was not bad for a 70% swing, maybe 15y or so. Most importantly, on my imaginary range-fairway I dropped 7 out of 10 in the fairway. on a few 10 swingreps, I was better, but even the 'bad' results were still playable.

I will admit that, oddly, i found the sweet spot more often than not with my slow swinf, but still, the CG Black fed me that tasty diet of feeling like i was doing damage, compressing the ball so well. I think if i had a R flex, I would have really produced some stunners.

I am looking forward to getting my back better and returning to my old swing. This club really brings it everytime though!

Back