Cleveland CG Black Driver Forum Testing Review Thread

I would like to thank the testers of the Cleveland Black driver. This testing is now complete. Thank you for your time, effort and thorough work.

All I can say is a huge thank you to THP and Cleveland Golf to allow me test this awesome driver and add it to my bag. This is a club that I might not have tried if not for this testing, but has opened my eyes to not discount anything, and definitely opened my eyes to Cleveland golf, as I have added the CG 3 wood, and a couple Cleveland wedges to my bag since this testing started. So, a sincere thank you to Cleveland golf and THP for putting this great driver in my hands.

You all did a phenomenal job on this testing, excellent job!

Thank you :thp: and :cleveland:. After trying a competitor's club, I would have *never* tried another superlight club. As a Cleveland Wedge guy, it was great to have my mind opened to their other clubs, which I have never really considered.

I also want to extend a hand to my fellow testers - your dedication and efforts really helped me follow through after falling off the testing horse when I moved 400 miles up the coast. Great job everyone. Ya'll rock!

Great job testers! Your constant detailed updates were very much appreciated and a lot of fun to follow along with. Again, great job!

Congrats to all of the testers on a great job, I enjoyed this thread immensely to the point that I have a CG Black 10.5* stiff flex driver myself. Your honest reviews and comments led me to test this driver and eventually purchase my own. Thanks for all of your hard work.

Great work by all of the testers! You guys really brought it in this testing!!!

Great job all you testers. I really enjoyed following this testing thread, you guys did a great job covering anything and everything about this driver.

This was a phenomenal thread. What I read here convinced me to buy a CG Black driver- which I would not have done otherwise as I didn't like the Ultralights much.

Thanks everyone.

You guys really did a great job in testing and should be proud. I'm wondering if any of you will be considering reshafting this? I'm pondering a slightly heavier shaft like the 43 gram Miyazaki if I can find one lying on the side of the road

Man you guys really brought it :clapp:! We appreciate your hard work, the time and labor you put into this project, and the dedication to bringing top notch reviews.

You guys really did a great job in testing and should be proud. I'm wondering if any of you will be considering reshafting this? I'm pondering a slightly heavier shaft like the 43 gram Miyazaki if I can find one lying on the side of the road

Interesting thought. I've never swing a Miyazaki 43 - a slightly stiffer shaft but keeping some of the similar flex characteristics would be cool.

Interesting thought. I've never swing a Miyazaki 43 - a slightly stiffer shaft but keeping some of the similar flex characteristics would be cool.

I think it would take away my issues with trying to kill the ball.

Fantastic job testers, should be proud of your work!

Chunky I can pull the one from my sl 290 if you want.

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it would take away my issues with trying to kill the ball.

I'm not sure I understand...how does a slightly stiffer shaft help you control your violent rage towards golf balls? I kid, I kid, seriously, why do you think that?

Chunky I can pull the one from my sl 290 if you want.

This just excited me

I'm not sure I understand...how does a slightly stiffer shaft help you control your violent rage towards golf balls? I kid, I kid, seriously, why do you think that?

I tend to start my downswing with the driver a bit aggressively. I think a stiffer shaft will keep up with that move. IMO this shaft is just a little too soft for an aggressive transition.

This just excited me

I tend to start my downswing with the driver a bit aggressively. I think a stiffer shaft will keep up with that move. IMO this shaft is just a little too soft for an aggressive transition.

I can't wait to hear how this turns out! I'm trying to work on a smoother transition but I still sometimes feel like I'm on the edge with the shaft.

I've been pondering going back to my R9 with a px 6.0 in preparing for the mc so I can have this shaft pulled for you next week sometime.

I'm down with that dude. Tellme what I need tosend

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

I'm down with that dude. Tellme what I need tosend

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Nothing just pm me your address.

Very sick yesterday but went out a round anyway, the wind was up so it made for an interesting day driving wise. Also for full disclosure I was also using a new ball, Srixon Z-Star SL.

#1 is a short par 4, 300ish depending on where the tee is set, it was playing into a left to right 20 mph wind. First swing out of the car put me 25 yards from the front, this ball would have been a tiny draw if not for the wind, but regardless it was center of the fairway.

#2 is a dog leg right par 4, ob left and right. Hit a nice fade that left me 105 out.

#3 dog leg left par 5 but due to the wind I had to use 4 wood.

#4 par 3.

#5 straight par 4 with water right. Dumb Danny showed up here and I got a little aggressive from the top which results in me pulling across the ball. Contact was right below the hosel on the hell (almost a whiff), this is where to forgiveness of the Black comes shining through. With a prior driver I would've most likely been hitting 3 off the tee. However with the Black I managed to get about 200yds which put me just into the fairway.

#6 hard dog leg left, used 4 wood again.

#7 straight par 4, hour glass shaped fairway. Hit an absolute bomb, 30 yds past where I normally land. Unfortunate for me that put my ball in a clump of pines and palmetto bushes. Looking back while I was upset I had to take a penalty, its kinda hard to be upset about a great swing.

#8 par 3.

#9 straight par 4, woods right. This hole was playing down wind so I tee'd it a little higher and let one fly. Straight shot right down the right center, ball hit a sprinkler head in the fairway :angry:

#10 is a par 4 that gives me fits. Took an easy swing and made great contact, was rewarded with a perfect drive, small fade, left me with and easy approach which I of course hit about 4" fat.

#11 I had to use 4 wood.

#12 par 3.

#13, longer par 4 but fairly tight with dense woods left and right. After a 3 putt on the previous hole I was a little frustrated so I took that out on this tee shot. Normally that ends pretty bad for me, not this time. Perfect lazy draw caught the down slope and left me with a little bump on to the green.

#14 tight par 5. This hole has some bunkers on the right side of the fairway that I've spent more than my fair share of time in. As a result I have learned to swing easy and play up the left side, put a 75% swing on the black and hit a nice straight shot exactly where I wanted to be.

#15 par 4, used 4 wood.

#16 par 5. The wind was again blowing hard from left to right so I tried to allow for it and set up more down the left side. Well that was a mistake, hit a straight laser of a drive that carried some pines and landed in a lake ob left. I've never came close to reaching those trees let alone flying them. End result: I wasted the drive of my life.

#17 par 3

#18 par 4. It was almost dark here and I was rushing to get the hole in, hit the dreaded high fade here because I swung hard from the top of the swing. That's the miss for me and this driver, I cannot swing aggressively from the top.

Fairways hit: 8/10 that I used driver on.
2 penalty shots off the tee, both because I out drove my target.

I'm taking a few days off from playing to recoup from whatever bug I have, but I'll be back next week.

Edit: sorry didn't see JB's post. Thanks for the kind words everybody, hope we've helped give you insight to this driver.

Good job Danny, nothing wrong with posting an extra review or two, all of you testers did an excellent job. Thank you.

SW, 8/10 FWs is impressive bro. Quick question about how your swing translate from the Black to your usual driver. Do you find that since gaming the Black, that you are more accurate from the tee in general?

Back