Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

Biggsy I like the looks of your order. I would imagine it would be a good fit for you.

Is anyone pondering a 12 degree with the Classic?

Its in my Morgan Cup driver OG. I hope to have it soon.

Personally I think that is a wise choice. It should have less side spin with more accuracy while helping the trajectory.

I must admit that all of this talk has me very anxious to hit this driver. I really need to research to get a better understanding of the models and what they each represent. Less than 40 days until I can give these a spin! And the price point they can be had for is phenomenal.

I must admit that all of this talk has me very anxious to hit this driver. I really need to research to get a better understanding of the models and what they each represent. Less than 40 days until I can give these a spin! And the price point they can be had for is phenomenal.
Cookie... it is one of the finest Drivers I have hit. You really need to get your hands on a 290.

You got that right Cookie. We will have all the models at the THP Demo Day. Including a few that are made specifically for us with different shafts.

You got that right Cookie. We will have all the models at the THP Demo Day. Including a few that are made specifically for us with different shafts.

now that right there gets me excited. I can't wait to hit this driver again. Hoping for no dreaded snap hook this time

Is anyone pondering a 12 degree with the Classic?
OG, I have said a few times that if I were to game the Classic, I would be going with the 12*.

Im pretty excited about this. I have looked all over for a place to take some swings with the 12*, and nowhere has them in stock.

I actually had a dream about this driver last night. haha. It just surprised me so much when I played it on Saturday. The face is hot and very forgiving. I played the 9* one round and the 10.5* another round and really liked them both. I was most skeptical about the lightweight shaft and figured if I ever did get this driver, I would need to get a custom shaft. To give you an idea my current set up that I was fit for by TM is at 8.5* and with the X-Stiff ahina shaft. The ones I was playing were the 43g Stiff shaft and it was a great combo with both heads, and it wasn't ballooning at all. In fact there were a few shots that I hit with the 10.5* that were into the wind and they just kept cutting threw. Give this driver a chance and give the stock shaft a chance. I am the last person on earth that I ever thought would like a lightweight driver shaft, but I am a fan of this one.

I actually had a dream about this driver last night. haha. It just surprised me so much when I played it on Saturday. The face is hot and very forgiving. I played the 9* one round and the 10.5* another round and really liked them both. I was most skeptical about the lightweight shaft and figured if I ever did get this driver, I would need to get a custom shaft. To give you an idea my current set up that I was fit for by TM is at 8.5* and with the X-Stiff ahina shaft. The ones I was playing were the 43g Stiff shaft and it was a great combo with both heads, and it wasn't ballooning at all. In fact there were a few shots that I hit with the 10.5* that were into the wind and they just kept cutting threw. Give this driver a chance and give the stock shaft a chance. I am the last person on earth that I ever thought would like a lightweight driver shaft, but I am a fan of this one.

I am with you on all fronts here Teeth. When I was on the launch monitor with multiple shafts, flexes, and heads, I assumed my numbers would be better with the Kusala stiff or C Kua X. Not the case! The 290 C Kua 9* stiff combo blew the others away for me. I was shocked. You saw it first hand on Saturday, we were both bombing it. I learned a little something about pre conceived notions on this one. The stock shaft option (Miya C Kua) with the Classic head are off the charts good.

I am with you on all fronts here Teeth. When I was on the launch monitor with multiple shafts, flexes, and heads, I assumed my numbers would be better with the Kusala stiff or C Kua X. Not the case! The 290 C Kua 9* stiff combo blew the others away for me. I was shocked. You saw it first hand on Saturday, we were both bombing it. I learned a little something about pre conceived notions on this one. The stock shaft option (Miya C Kua) with the Classic head are off the charts good.

I am thoroughly impressed.

Good stuff. I fell in love with lightweight shafts/drivers last season when I got my 270--a club that I would have passed by a hundred times, had I not tried it on whim. Hit it a few times this so far this year and still no buyers remorse. I'm hoping the classic or the black can improve on what I have already.

My Brand new (last week) Classic 290
Cruise2012166.jpg

Cruise2012165.jpg

Cruise2012167.jpg

Cruise2012170.jpg

Cruise2012201.jpg

We got some of these drivers in at the club for demos. I was going to take it out last night but 1, I wanted to use the J40 I just got in and 2, Titleist was there holding a demo day so I didn't really want to parade another OEM's demo out there...haha. I will be hitting these soon though. And I am completely over my original hang ups on the looks of the driver and head cover too...I really dig the looks now but I'm wondering if that deep head will cause issues or not...we shall soon find out.

We got some of these drivers in at the club for demos. I was going to take it out last night but 1, I wanted to use the J40 I just got in and 2, Titleist was there holding a demo day so I didn't really want to parade another OEM's demo out there...haha. I will be hitting these soon though. And I am completely over my original hang ups on the looks of the driver and head cover too...I really dig the looks now but I'm wondering if that deep head will cause issues or not...we shall soon find out.

I'll be hitting these on Saturday. The deep face doesn't set up for me, but that could change as I start to adjust. I think the headcover for this driver rocks. I would consider using it over my Rocky or THP Gopher headcover

Congrats Tomahawk! That's a great lookin bag for sure!

All of the other Cleveland staffers can rest easy, I have finally put my Morgan Cup order in for this driver: Cleveland Classic 290, 10.5 degrees of loft, 44.75 inches, Miyazaki Blue 61 shaft in stiff flex, Golf Pride VDR Blue grip.

All of the other Cleveland staffers can rest easy, I have finally put my Morgan Cup order in for this driver: Cleveland Classic 290, 10.5 degrees of loft, 44.75 inches, Miyazaki Blue 61 shaft in stiff flex, Golf Pride VDR Blue grip.

Nice dude! We'll have identical drivers except mine's black and yours is blue. You have the whole Duke theme rocking!

Nice dude! We'll have identical drivers except mine's black and yours is blue. You have the whole Duke theme rocking!

You know, I never thought about that, but it's a good thing!

Many thanks to JB for taking time with me earlier today to talk about shaft choice with me, as well as length of the driver. This will be a full inch shorter than what I'm playing right now, but my big issue in the past few months has been accuracy off of the tee, so I'm hoping going shorter with my driver will help as well.

Jake, what kinds of issues are you worried the deep face will cause?

You know, I never thought about that, but it's a good thing!

Many thanks to JB for taking time with me earlier today to talk about shaft choice with me, as well as length of the driver. This will be a full inch shorter than what I'm playing right now, but my big issue in the past few months has been accuracy off of the tee, so I'm hoping going shorter with my driver will help as well.

I've been rocking 44.5" shafts for a while now and it has helped immensely. I ordered mine at 44.75 like you. I think you'll love it dude.

I've been rocking 44.5" shafts for a while now and it has helped immensely. I ordered mine at 44.75 like you. I think you'll love it dude.

That actually makes me feel even better, because you're a taller guy than I am. Slight tangent: do you play your 3-wood shorter than standard too?

Looking forward to seeing that in action over the summer.

I had a chance to hit the Classic Tour today. It is a beast! I don't know if I am consistent enough for it...but it is a strong contender for 'Zilla's next driver. I think the VR_s might have it beat, though.

Back