Cleveland Golf RTX 6 ZipCore Wedges Review

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Take a poll on what is the quickest way to drop your handicap, and quite often, the number one response will be to improve one’s short game. Cleveland Golf has been one of the most prominent wedge manufacturers for decades, so golfers tend to pay close attention when releasing a new wedge lineup. When Cleveland Golf released the RTX 6 ZipCore wedges earlier this year, they did so believing they had created a wedge that would offer exceptional performance to golfers regardless of the playing conditions. While the back of these RTX 6 wedges doesn’t necessarily scream technology, there is more packed into these than meets the eye. Let’s dive in, shall we?

Continue reading...

Not as much difference between wet and dry and I thought there would be

Great write up, I really like those wedges, I don't think I'm there yet from a handicap standpoint but I really like them.

Thank you for doing the wet test. Impressive. Everything about these lines up with what I like in a wedge. Need to do some testing on the higher lofts and add one to the bag.

I’m so tempted. Great stuff Dean.

Great article - pics are killer too. Looking at these in comparison to my last set of Cleveland wedges, the leap in technology is just crazy.

Have always enjoyed this line of wedges. Left off at the RTX4, next time wedges are at replacement stage these will get a strong look.

My experience with the RTX 6 has been nothing but positive so far. I feel like I'm still learning my way around them to some extent since the season just started. Just getting a handle on how the ball reacts with various swings.

Reactions: J4U
  • Staff
Have always enjoyed this line of wedges. Left off at the RTX4, next time wedges are at replacement stage these will get a strong look.

4 is the only one I haven’t really had since going back to the rebirth of 588.

Reactions: J4U
Great review. Thanks

Not as much difference between wet and dry and I thought there would be

I was really impressed with that aspect. I wanted to look at it from a spot where I thought I would see some bigger drop off. I didn't think I'd see that in the full swing as much, but on that partial shot I would. It impressed me.

Now on the course last night, I was playing in wet conditions as it rained a ton over the weekend, and everything is still soaked. Granted, I am not going apples to apples here because I'm comparing to an RTX Full Face 58, but what I saw out of the 60 was real-world results quite good.

I do think when this stuff gets talked about, though, it's really going to come into play so much more for that better golfer, even though the avg golfer still gets the benefit from it. Like that one hop and stop or that low spinner shot...I don't have those in my arsenal. In my mind, those guys that have those abilities, they will see some really tight consistencies and might be able to play a similar shot in wet conditions that they may not have been able to in the past.

I do think when this stuff gets talked about, though, it's really going to come into play so much more for that better golfer, even though the avg golfer still gets the benefit from it. Like that one hop and stop or that low spinner shot...I don't have those in my arsenal. In my mind, those guys that have those abilities, they will see some really tight consistencies and might be able to play a similar shot in wet conditions that they may not have been able to in the past.
Do you think that it could add to consistency for all skills though? Meaning spin and distance consistency, not player

Do you think that it could add to consistency for all skills though? Meaning spin and distance consistency, not player

I think it definitely could, and I know I'm going by golf stereotypes here. But to me, the better player understands the spin of their golf ball and how to utilize it. In my mind, they play with a consistent golf ball round after round, where the 15 handicap doesn't necessarily do that, nor do they play a golf ball geared towards that performance. It doesn't mean they won't see the benefit, because I think they will. I think the better player is going to know how to take advantage of it, and their mindset/skill is going to allow them to take in those benefits a little more.

Reactions: JB
Cleveland wedges have been my comfort zone for a few years now. They don't try to reinvent the wheel or be overly complicated with the grinds, because they just work.

these are another great iteration. I think I'm at the point of comfortably saying i liked the RTX5 styling a bit better. but these certainly don't look bad.
The zipcore was such a huge step forward last year, glad to see that continue on. I live on the toe with misses and these cover me very well. certainly better than some others i've tried recently.

good to see the wet weather performance tested. Not something I've ever really thought about but nice to have.

Nothing compared to the RTX zip cores last year for me when it came to spin. Those ended up producing insane spin numbers. I have spent a little time with the new RTX, but I cant stand the new spinner shaft so I am not sure what I think of them over all.

Need to replace my 58 and going with a mid of the RTX6, it's been a while since a Cleveland wedge was in the bag, can't wait to check it out on the course.

I've really found the RTX6 Tour Rack wedges to have good spin around the green and out of the bunker. I have harder bunkers where I play most often, and I'm not the greatest of bunker players, but it grabs my Srixon Diamond balls just great. Also, I have the standard grind and bounce and they have great turf interaction. I have a steeper swing and they don't dig deep with the standard bounce. I'm starting to really enjoy these wedges.

Sifting through my stats from my last two rounds. They are confirming what I thought. I am getting up and down 56% of the time and 50% sand saves. Shotscope says that I am saving a shot a round versus the average HC and 1.5 shots within 25 yards. Small sample size but I am really liking them so far.

Looking forward to putting this beauty in play. The closeup of the hydrazip face milling is pretty neat. Interested in seeing my gapping
20230914_064853.jpg20230914_064859.jpg20230914_064904.jpg20230914_064916.jpg

I haven’t paid enough attention to talking about the wedges. I hadn’t played a Cleveland wedge in a long time before this year. I have been playing a 54 mid and a 60 full and have been very happy with them. I find them to spin the way I expect, work through the ground and the sand well and produce predictable distances.

I did pick up a 58* mid recently as my sand game has changed a bit and I am playing with a more open clubface to play around with. I am going to put it in play this weekend and see how it does.

If you are looking at new wedges definitely consider the RTX 6.

I absolutely love this line in higher lofts. Possibly my favorite touch shot wedges out there right now

The S grind in the tour rack is so versatile and lets me do probably too many things with the face of the club. Fantastic wedges

Patina is getting pretty strong.

IMG_7996.jpegIMG_7997.jpeg

Have a new black satin 56 mid grind wedge. Great club. However after a few days I already see some rust spots on the clubface. I wonder if that's normal. I'm a bit bummed about it.

Very Disappointed with their faces, I purchased a 48, 54 & 60 with all faces showing signs of rust. I have in the past had "Rustys" and many other wedges, but Clevelands Zipcore are not meant to rust. Their response after owning these for less then 6 mths is that the face must have had water left on them in order to rust. If I knew that I would have gone with the Vokeys. Not a happy customer

Back