Cleveland Halo XL Hybrids and Hy-Wood Review

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
With Cleveland Golf making the decision to let the Halo XL lineup of fairways and hybrids stand out on their own as opposed to keeping the Launcher name on them there may be a level of surprise for some. Rest assured though; it is all part of a plan. You see, Cleveland is quick to point out with this release that more than half of all golfers surveyed admit that they keep clubs in the top of their bag which they cannot hit consistently. They also know thanks to the Arccos database that for 10-25 handicappers, 37% of their second shots into par 4’s per round are with clubs from that part of the bag. So how do you fix it?

Continue reading...

Looks like the crown has a little bit of the drop off like the previous but not nearly as deep as before. Was always an interesting look.

Great write up here. These have always been somewhat interesting to me, but hard to find in the sleepy outpost of Louisville, KY.

Super interesting article and testing. These are definitely on my list to spend some time with and based on that performance, I am going to try to do it sooner rather than later.

Again, really well done @Jman

That hybrid looks very much like a Cleveland hybrid should look and I feel like I already know how it sounds. This is a style that has historically worked really well for me and I would be dumb to not look closer at putting one or three in the bag.

The Hy-Wood is a different look. Not sure I like it from that perspective, but the higher spin numbers you were seeing actually add interest for me. I think that 20 could be exactly what I need in that part of the bag.

• Staff
Looks like the crown has a little bit of the drop off like the previous but not nearly as deep as before. Was always an interesting look.
I think the gloss metallic smoke grey finish helps there, it takes some of the HiBore Step edge off to the eyes.

I think a LOT of people are going to love the Hy-Wood. The last version was money, and improved it's going to be an absolute killer.

Appreciate the review of the Hy Wood. I have played and liked the Hy Wood. It was a very good club for me off of any lie. It appears that these versions in 3+ and 4+ are even better.

• Staff
Post review now, the Hy-Wood is getting a heavier and stronger shaft that fits my crazy arse swing more to see just what it can do, because what I saw in it is promising. Being able to elevate a 17 degree club like that is a lot of fun, flatten it out and get it to where I’m not fighting it, there could be some big speed here.

It's like they know me (the 10 - 25 handicapper with a good amount of second shots coming with fairway woods and hybrids into greens). Like the looks, love the description, will need to take a look.

I had the original Hy-wood but could never get comfortable with the 60.5° lie angle. This release (17°) is 59° and with a 1/2 inch longer shaft. That should be a positive change for me, I will demo this one for sure. Jman - Thanks again for your reviews, enjoy them all. Anyone know when the new irons will be out, the website still shows the Launchers XL's.

I had the original Hy-wood but could never get comfortable with the 60.5° lie angle. This release (17°) is 59° and with a 1/2 inch longer shaft. That should be a positive change for me, I will demo this one for sure. Jman - Thanks again for your reviews, enjoy them all. Anyone know when the new irons will be out, the website still shows the Launchers XL's.
Thank you for reading!

And just a bit longer, haha

Post review now, the Hy-Wood is getting a heavier and stronger shaft that fits my crazy arse swing more to see just what it can do, because what I saw in it is promising. Being able to elevate a 17 degree club like that is a lot of fun, flatten it out and get it to where I’m not fighting it, there could be some big speed here.
Will you add back in the counter weight as well or let the shaft weight balance it out?

That 4+ hywood might just be the ticket for a spot in the bag I’m trying to improve a bit.

Looking forward to taking some swings with it in a couple of weeks.

Will you add back in the counter weight as well or let the shaft weight balance it out?
I prefer a heavier swing weight anyhow.

Looking again the photos, looks like they nailed the aesthetic

Great write up @Jman These look amazing and from your LM numbers, perform like I would expect this line to perform for Cleveland. They traditionally fly under the radar and some may be the gimmicky tv commercials, but year over year, for a beginning golfer, this line offers everything they would need.

Great review. The Launcher XL Halo is one my favorite all time clubs. It's just 'point and shot' for me. So much so, that I got this headcover for it.

I'm gonna admit my 5-iron days are over...I just don't hit it as consistently as the 4h or 6-iron. So I'll be getting the 5-hybrid. I'll buy it in the store the first day it's available and won't even bother to hit it. I know it'll be magic.

They go on sale 1/19 and I have a tournament on 1/20. It’ll be in the bag.

I loved the old Hy-wood. Not quite as much as the hybrid. It's interesting the new model has higher loft from the same length shaft (20*) and longer for the 17*. I'll definitely try them for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_3296.jpeg
    IMG_3296.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Great write up, James. That Hy-Wood is intriguing, I can see that thing being an absolute bomber.

Great article @Jman. Been a Hywood user in the past and thought they were a great club. Always had confidence with that club. Really like the look of the hybrid as well!

Great article @Jman, loved what I saw in the previous Hy-Wood, looking forward to testing out the new one.

The Launcher Hy-wood was definitely the star of the last Launcher release cycle. It is just a riot. Combines a lot of great features to make a serious weapon. I am glad to see they now offer two versions, a 3+ and 4+. The 3+ is 1 degree stronger this year, I assume to put it more in line with clubs like the Callaway UW. More people should give this club a chance. And, seeing they offer 2 now changes what my plans might be for the 2024 season.

Great review. Thanks.

The Launcher Hy-wood was definitely the star of the last Launcher release cycle. It is just a riot. Combines a lot of great features to make a serious weapon. I am glad to see they now offer two versions, a 3+ and 4+. The 3+ is 1 degree stronger this year, I assume to put it more in line with clubs like the Callaway UW. More people should give this club a chance. And, seeing they offer 2 now changes what my plans might be for the 2024 season.
I'm liking the fact that they came out with a 4+ . I have played the 3+ and it is a versatile weapon for me, playable off nearly any lie.

Wonder how the 6h plays 🥰

Back