Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

Also, I just placed my order with Blind 9 Golf for the little brother to my Mashies, the M5. I hit about 40 balls with the M1 and M3 today and was convinced to get the third to complete the 200 yard + part of my bag.

I was swinging the clubs very well today, PW through driver, and it really showed with the Mashies. My tempo was really good, and the M1 was launching missiles today. The warm weather isn't hurting, but this thing was launching them medium to high, but piercing and looooong. I was getting 250ish carry average today, and straight! If I don't lower my handicap this season, then shame on me. I feel like I have great weapons for fairway finding and reaching Par 5s in two.

yeah wasn't wild about the feeling at all...the R11 is much better in this dept imo
That's interesting Hanks... I haven't tried my Mashies yet with a bump n run style shot. I'll have to try that out next time I'm at the range.

I just saw the strangest commercial for the Mashie. It was the kind of commercial that you would see for like ShamWow or something. "Try the Mashie now for only 3 easy payments of $49.95". I can honestly say I have never seen something like that for a golf club before. Well not from a mainstream OEM anyways.

I saw that commerical also on the golf channel this morning. That is the strangest thing. Why order it like that when you can get it from the store or online? It reminds me of those infomerical for the Bobby Jones clubs....

The mashie is a pretty good club, but I don't like the plain looks.

Also, I just placed my order with Blind 9 Golf for the little brother to my Mashies, the M5. I hit about 40 balls with the M1 and M3 today and was convinced to get the third to complete the 200 yard + part of my bag.

I was swinging the clubs very well today, PW through driver, and it really showed with the Mashies. My tempo was really good, and the M1 was launching missiles today. The warm weather isn't hurting, but this thing was launching them medium to high, but piercing and looooong. I was getting 250ish carry average today, and straight! If I don't lower my handicap this season, then shame on me. I feel like I have great weapons for fairway finding and reaching Par 5s in two.

You will love the M5! It is my secret weapon. :)

I went out today and bought the M1. Took it to the range after and hit about 50 balls with it. This club is definately going to be more work for me than the M3 or the M5. Both of those clubs I took to immediately and had success with from the beginning. At the range this club reminded me of a wild horse I am trying to tame. When I connected with this club, it took off like a missle and went the distance I am looking for with it and the flight was oh so pretty!!!. When I did not connect with it, it hooked, it bucked, it was a general pain in the butt!! But I am going to work with it and get control of this club and enjoy it like the M3 and M5.

I finally had the the chance to go 18 holes with my Mashies. I tried hitting them from all sorts of lies, and I hit them a lot, just to give them a good testing. When you hit them dead center, they ball just flies. A nice smooth swing, like everyone else has pointed out, seems to be the key for great shots. Shots are dead straight, very easy to use in the rough. It's just a great club with a fantastic shaft. I would recommend these easy to hit hybrids for every one, at least go out and try one!

I went out today and bought the M1. Took it to the range after and hit about 50 balls with it. This club is definately going to be more work for me than the M3 or the M5. Both of those clubs I took to immediately and had success with from the beginning. At the range this club reminded me of a wild horse I am trying to tame. When I connected with this club, it took off like a missle and went the distance I am looking for with it and the flight was oh so pretty!!!. When I did not connect with it, it hooked, it bucked, it was a general pain in the butt!! But I am going to work with it and get control of this club and enjoy it like the M3 and M5.

Good luck with it WR. Stick with it and I think it will pay off. I hit the M1 off the tee on Sunday on a short par4 and hit it fat. Still got 185 out of it and a manageable second shot. Every time I hit driver I was in trouble but the M1 kept me in play.

That's how golf is suppose to be buddy.......work! Not everything can be super easy!

Rhino, were you having trouble with it off the tee or off the turf?

I got to hit my pops mashie on sunday, FINALLY! I hadnt hit one since September. When I hit it in September I remember thinking....thats not as cool as everyone thinks. Well, I must take that statement back. My first swing with the Mashie was on a Par 5 and I drew that sucker into the left rough but way the hell out there. I was super impressed with how effortless it felt. My bro told me that it would want to send it left and he was right. The Mashie is now top of the liist for my new hybrid.

Overton! You can go HAM with the Mashies I have at the outing as well. M1 baby!

I got to hit my pops mashie on sunday, FINALLY! I hadnt hit one since September. When I hit it in September I remember thinking....thats not as cool as everyone thinks. Well, I must take that statement back. My first swing with the Mashie was on a Par 5 and I drew that sucker into the left rough but way the hell out there. I was super impressed with how effortless it felt. My bro told me that it would want to send it left and he was right. The Mashie is now top of the liist for my new hybrid.

Good luck with it WR. Stick with it and I think it will pay off. I hit the M1 off the tee on Sunday on a short par4 and hit it fat. Still got 185 out of it and a manageable second shot. Every time I hit driver I was in trouble but the M1 kept me in play.

Thanks Kevin, I had the same thing at the range, not all bad shots were "that" bad, just not as good as the good ones were.

That's how golf is suppose to be buddy.......work! Not everything can be super easy!

Oh I know TC, I was spoiled a bit with the M3 and M5 and I knoew the M1 ws going to be my challange club of the set, like I said the "wild horse". I have every intention of staying with this club and turning it into a thoroughbred :smile-big:

Rhino, were you having trouble with it off the tee or off the turf?

Was at range off mats and occasionally grass ( when no one was looking)

I know you'll work hard on that club buddy! I love a golf club that makes one work, yet ultimately, is rewarding.

I agree TC. Rhino is gonna work that club. I've seen him hit drives he should be bombing this one once he gets it down.

I agree TC. Rhino is gonna work that club. I've seen him hit drives he should be bombing this one once he gets it down.

I think he'll get it down. Like you, I've seen him hit some great drives and we've seen him hit some great hybrid shots.

Damn! You are braver than me. I took a few swings with the M1 but I had no control over it at all on the tee or the turf. At that loft a 3 wood is my only answer- and even then it's only in the last week I have found one I can hit reliably over 190 from the deck. Good luck! If you can manage it you will be our new high HC hero!

I know you'll work hard on that club buddy! I love a golf club that makes one work, yet ultimately, is rewarding.

Absolutely, got a little reward on the 6th shot at the range, landed past the 200yd mark and rolled towards the net at the back of the range, a big smile went across my face with that shot. Only to be wiped off with the next couple. I'll get it!

I think he'll get it down. Like you, I've seen him hit some great drives and we've seen him hit some great hybrid shots.

Thanks guys!! I hope to have it sorted out by the outing!

Damn! You are braver than me. I took a few swings with the M1 but I had no control over it at all on the tee or the turf. At that loft a 3 wood is my only answer- and even then it's only in the last week I have found one I can hit reliably over 190 from the deck. Good luck! If you can manage it you will be our new high HC hero!

No doubt I took a risk with this TS, but I am going to figure it out. I kow it is a matter of ball position of slowing down. Like I said above I did get quite a few good shots on the range. True more were of the Not so good variety but I think I can get it working.

I went out yesterday to play a course that I am starting a league on next week. We will play 9 holes each week till September. The course was in rough shape and the greens were just aerated two weeks ago. The play was really slow too. The wind was the worst part of today. The gusts were between 20 and 30 mph. I had to end up taking my hat off halfway through the round, because I lost it a couple of times. I hope this is not foreshadowing to the golf league. On to the Mashie performance;

The starter put us on the back nine hoping it would help us get 18 in.

-On the 13th hole that was a par 5 I had a nice drive off the tee that left me 200yds, wind in the face, to lay up in front of a creek. I pulled out the M3 and hit a hook that the wind ate alive that ended up in a sand trap off the left side of the fairway. This is what the wind did to my shots all day. Whatever mistakes I made it just amplified them.

We decided at this point, that since it took us a 1:15 to play three holes we would try and drive ahead of the groups in front of us. We were really just out there to get a lay of the course for the league. After driving past group after group we where back at the clubhouse. We went back over to the starter and told him about how slow it was. We then decided to go off the front nine.

1st hole, par 4- I hit a duck hook off the tee that left me with a 200 yd shot to the green. The wind was straight in our face. I decided to club up with the M1. I ended up hitting a nice high shot that the wind killed, but it landed on the left side of the green. I think the wind put about a 20yd hurt on the ball flight.

4th hole, par 4- I hit a short drive off the tee. That left we 200yds out from the green and the wind was not affecting us much on this hole. I pulled the M3 to go after the green, to make up for my short drive. I ended up hitting a duck hook that was lost on another fairway. Not a good outcome with the M3.

5th hole, Par 5- I had a nice drive off the tee that left me with 190 to the pin that had a pond guarding it. I decided to go for it since we were just messing around. My drive was pushed to the right rough so I had trees all down the right side going after the green. I pulled the M3 to go after it. I choked down a bit. I hit a beautiful shot that was running the tree line until it caught the one small limb that was hanging out. Darn. I ended up putting my 100yd shot next to the hole and birdieing out. Not a bad outcome.

9th hole, Par 4- This was a dogleg left hole. I ended up putting my drive in the right rough. This left we with a 200yd shot to the green. I went to the M3 again. Hoping for a good hit, to get me on. Another hook to the left put me in OB. Crap.

All in all, I had a rough day on the course. The slow play and the wind just made it frustrating. I think this had a lot of affect on my game. I just can figure out what is going wrong. I hit three great shots on the range with each Mashie before we played. On the course I just can't seem to get it done. I hope playing in the league will help me get some more course Mashie time to iron these hooks out. The M1 did a great job today, but the M3 just failed every time for me. It was a case of the hooks again. I struggled with this when I first go the club, but I thought they had gone away. The M3 was not the only club this was happening with today, my R11 was having the same problem. I think it is more of a swing flaw. The problem is I don't really know how to fix a hook, just a slice. I hope to get out to the range later this week to work on both of them, since I have the opening tournament to the league this weekend. I will keep everyone updated.

23* Mashie Tour head w/ 83g Miyazaki C. Kua stiff

23* Mashie Tour head w/ 83g Miyazaki C. Kua stiff

Does anybody here play this combo and if so how do like it and what kind distance are you getting? I am looking for my first hybrid and I need 200 - 210 carry. I tried the non tour mashie and prefer the heavier shaft. I was able to hit a 20.5 with 83X and like the weight.

Thanks!

Does anybody here play this combo and if so how do like it and what kind distance are you getting? I am looking for my first hybrid and I need 200 - 210 carry. I tried the non tour mashie and prefer the heavier shaft. I was able to hit a 20.5 with 83X and like the weight.

Thanks!

Merged this with a very large Cleveland Mashie thread. There are quite a few people in here that have tried the heavier shaft and you might find their input quite valuable.

Got the chance to get out to the range yesterday for some mashie time. I seem to be more and more impressed every time I hit the M2. I haven't had the greatest ball striking of late but yesterday, i found my tempo. These clubs really do respond better to a nice smooth tempo. When i was trying to force the swing, I was flying it on average 220-225 yards. The second i concentrated on tempo, i was averaging 230-235. Looking forward to my next session with this baby.

Count me in as a believer. I initially did not hit this club very well at Golf Galaxy. I got some time to play tonight at work and I put myself on the monitor with the M3.

17.6 launch, 2900-3200 spin, 128 ball speed, and I was supposedly hitting it 241 on average.

The ball was exploding off the face and I loved how easy I was getting this thing in the air. I started choking down, powering up, powering down... everything was so easy with it. I think my Cobra Baffler Pro 3H has the same type of explosion, but this one seems easier to hit. I would love to play around with a M1 to see if I can hit it better than the Cobra Pro 1H.

I will also add that the look has really grown on me and I now view it as one of the most attractive clubs on the market. When I first unboxed them from the truck at Dick's, I thought wow this is hideous. Now I love the looks.

I am going to call the Cleveland rep tomorrow and Thursday and talk to him about getting a Mashie, 310 Driver, and a Classic Black Putter...

Last edited:

Thanks!

I have that combo M4-83 stiff. Carry 185 avg. I'd like to get closer to 195 but that's more of my ballstriking than the club. It's a solid performer. I can't, however, recommend anything for you since I'm not familiar with your yardages. Hope this helps.

Back