Cleveland Smart Sole 4 vs CBX2 wedges

martybauer31

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey there, higher handicapper (24) just getting into the game after a long hiatus and it's very clear my short game right now is the worst part of everything I have going on.

From thinning shots in the middle of the fairway to chunking, my game, especially around the greens and in the sand is easily costing me 5+ strokes a round.

At the moment I have my Cobra Radspeed PW and GW, and then have the Cleveland RTX Zipcores in 54 and 58. I can hit full swing shots fairly decent for the most part but I am getting crushed on half shots and chips from 50 yards in. I'm coming to the realization that maybe my wedges aren't helping me right now and I need something a little friendlier until I can grow into them.

Yes, I have had lessons, and yes, I am practicing, but would like to see some more immediate results and enjoy more than be frustrated.

I was looking at the 50 and 58 Smart Sole but wondering if the CBX2's might be an option for me as well. Sand shots are killing me and it can literally take me 2-3 to get out of a trap. Not interested in a Chippr, I do have an old Mazel if I want to bag it, lol.

Thanks for the advice.

Frustration is a tough one. Both of the things you are looking at are designed to help you. Both are done quite well too. The wider sole will help on a lot of different shots, especially as someone that might struggle a bit. The CBX2 is a bit more versatile, but at the same time the SS4 design can really help when getting too heavy in the sand or rough.

THe biggest concern would also be if you are thinning shots, neither of these are going to help you all that much, but if its contact related to turf interaction such as heavy, etc, they can provide some great assistance. If you are working to get better, I would lean towards the CBX2, as I think you will find it a bit more versatile long term.

I don't have any experience with the Smart Sole wedges, but Cleveland says they are designed to make it easier on all shots, but especially out of the sand. So it may be worth a try. Personally, I have the CBX2 wedges in 50, 54, and 58 and absolutely LOVE them. They're super accurate on full and partial shots and do very well around the green. The 58 is my primary wedge out of the bunker, but if it's a longer shot, I'll use the 54. The bounce makes it easy to get out of the bunker, though it can take away some of the versatility if you like to hit flop shots. I can open the face up plenty, so I don't feel like I'm losing anything and the forgiveness is outstanding.

Like JB said above, if you are going to keep practicing and working to get better, the CBX2 would probably stay in the bag longer. They certainly won't be leaving my bag anytime soon.

I had a Smart Sole S for a while to help me with bunker shots, and now I have CBX 2 for both of my specialty wedges. If you're looking for help getting out of the sand easily, the Smart Sole is the ticket. It was pretty much an automatic out for me. That said, I never found that it worked for much of anything else... for me. I can do a lot more with the CBX 2 wedges than I could with the Smart Sole, but a lot of that also came with some practice.

I think longer term the CBX 2 are the better fit, they'll help your chips and pitching immediately, but the Smart Sole can definitely be a benefit for those pesky sand shots. I found it to be a one trick pony but it may help you in other ways too.

I had a Smart Sole S for a while to help me with bunker shots, and now I have CBX 2 for both of my specialty wedges. If you're looking for help getting out of the sand easily, the Smart Sole is the ticket. It was pretty much an automatic out for me. That said, I never found that it worked for much of anything else... for me. I can do a lot more with the CBX 2 wedges than I could with the Smart Sole, but a lot of that also came with some practice.

I think longer term the CBX 2 are the better fit, they'll help your chips and pitching immediately, but the Smart Sole can definitely be a benefit for those pesky sand shots. I found it to be a one trick pony but it may help you in other ways too.

Yeah, I was wondering about that, so you didn't feel like the Smart Sole allowed to you take a regular full swing shot?

I'm open to the CBX2, if it's something that will help me with my short game and I can take a 75% to full swing with as well.

Yeah, I was wondering about that, so you didn't feel like the Smart Sole allowed to you take a regular full swing shot?

I'm open to the CBX2, if it's something that will help me with my short game and I can take a 75% to full swing with as well.

No, the Smart Sole S was not effective for regular shots for my personal swing. That said, the new Smart Sole 4 S wedge does have a different design that may be more effective for full swings, shots not in the sand, etc. I moved away from it to the CBX 2 for that very reason. Again - totally my personal experience, but the CBX 2 have allowed me to be much more confident from 75 yards and in, and that includes greenside bunkers.

I play a CBX2 54° and a Smart Sole SW. The CBX cavity wedges might be the best wedges ever designed for the average golfer. I don’t get too cute with wedge shots and hardly hit the 54° with a full swing. It absolutely does it’s job so well.

I play the Smart Sole SW because I’m a notoriously poor bunker player. It has helped my bunker game tremendously. Set up consistently, accelerate through contact, and the ball pops out. I’ve always found this club to be very useful from the rough or even the fairways. It just gives me the confidence I need.

Could I play a 58° or 60° CBX…yes. But, I mostly always just use those as bunker clubs, so why not get a little help too ?

I am currently gaming Smart Sole S and G. I’ve had other varieties of wedges including CBX and Callaway full toe. I have nothing but good thing to say about SmartSole. It’s a game changer for me. S and G have special purpose on my short game. They both great on bunker and chips and pitch. Yes they can be limited on certain situation. Ex: flop shots and hardpan bunkers. You just have to accept it’s limitation and use it where it excel. From 90yds under, G and S shines.
It’s not a magic wand. If you need a multi shot to get out of sand. You need more than magic club. Smart Sole will be easier but you need to practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I play a CBX2 54° and a Smart Sole SW. The CBX cavity wedges might be the best wedges ever designed for the average golfer. I don’t get too cute with wedge shots and hardly hit the 54° with a full swing. It absolutely does it’s job so well.

I play the Smart Sole SW because I’m a notoriously poor bunker player. It has helped my bunker game tremendously. Set up consistently, accelerate through contact, and the ball pops out. I’ve always found this club to be very useful from the rough or even the fairways. It just gives me the confidence I need.

Could I play a 58° or 60° CBX…yes. But, I mostly always just use those as bunker clubs, so why not get a little help too ?

Yeah, that makes sense... I'm definitely not trying to get fancy and just want to get the hell out of the sand/on the green so I can putt. So tired of smoking a ball across the green into another trap or having to rehit from 3 feet from my original shot, LOL.

I played a Tour Edge 1 out and could not get the hang of it. The heavy club head felt very weird. Then I tried the Smart Sole S and I had a similer feeling (version 3). Opted for the Callaway mack daddy cb. It is ok. Based on all of the feedback here, CBX2 was a better choice. At the time., the MD was cheaper and newer. Now the CBX2 is cheaper. That gets my vote. I think it is all personal and what you are feeling with the club. Maybe, buy used first?

Last edited:
The SS4 is the next club on my wishlist. I can get out of the sand just fine but I’m a mess with all other aspects of chipping.

Used to play the Cleveland Niblicks, from which the Smart Soles descended, when they first came out years ago. Definitely loved those clubs at the time. If I were in the market for a little help again I would probably go Smart Soles...or repo my Niblicks that I passed along to a friend. 🤷‍♂️

I played a Smart Sole S for years, was fantastic.
Used it for chips, pitches and full shots with great success. In the end I had some lessons and advanced my technique to go to more versatile wedges.
BTW I was a 3 handicap when using the Smart Sole and at the time it was my most trusted club routinely putting me in tap in range.
I recommend buying a smart sole secondhand and seeing if it is for you. Otherwise get a lesson and advance your technique!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

SS4 SW user here. Probably the most useful and reliable greenside tool I've played. Bunkers - check, flop shots - check, chips - oh yeah. No longer fear that short sided shot over a bunker. Nice smooth action, keep your eyes on the ball, nice little rainbow that stops basically where it lands. I don't get cute around the green. I carry a 50 (CBX) and the 58 (SS4) and haven't really found anything I can't do with them although the 7i occasionally comes out for a bump and run. As a 24, that's the sort of thing your game needs, simplicity. Get a CBX in a 52 or 54 and practice until you get really great with it, but leave the hardest club and shot for high handicappers on easy mode as long as you can.

SS4 SW user here. Probably the most useful and reliable greenside tool I've played. Bunkers - check, flop shots - check, chips - oh yeah. No longer fear that short sided shot over a bunker. Nice smooth action, keep your eyes on the ball, nice little rainbow that stops basically where it lands. I don't get cute around the green. I carry a 50 (CBX) and the 58 (SS4) and haven't really found anything I can't do with them although the 7i occasionally comes out for a bump and run. As a 24, that's the sort of thing your game needs, simplicity. Get a CBX in a 52 or 54 and practice until you get really great with it, but leave the hardest club and shot for high handicappers on easy mode as long as you can.

Yeah, it's interesting because I hadn't even thought about a combo between the 2, but I am thinking you and the others that have spoken up might be on to something here. ;) Thanks!

Interesting about the SW. i was thinking about a chipper. But have gottten pretty comfortable with my CBX 52* on chips. High and soft is what I’m missing. My 60* is a bag ornament. 🤔

So an update for those who have given advice... I went out and picked up the Smart Sole 4 58 Sand wedge and the CBX2 54 degree wedge late last week.

I admittedly haven't used the CBX2 much (it's a gapping thing in my bag I guess) but I have used the hell out of the Smart Sole and I have been loving it! It's been fantastic around the greens, and has been awesome with full swings as well for me in the 100-110 range and I feel like I've definitely hit more greens in regulation with it. I'm super happy with it so far!

You hit that lob wedge really far..damn

You hit that lob wedge really far..damn

I'm 6'3" and the long arms helps, I've really been concentrating on swinging easier this year and surprise, surprise, it's actually helped with distance, lol! Who would have thought? :)

I'm 6'3" and the long arms helps, I've really been concentrating on swinging easier this year and surprise, surprise, it's actually helped with distance, lol! Who would have thought? :)

An old golfing buddy of mine would say, less is more. Seems to hold true. But, it is so easy to want to swing hard.

Thanks for the update, the SS4 is the next club I’m buying. I’m getting better with my SW but no point in torturing myself. Sounds like the SS4 would help me tremendously.

After reading this thread the SS4 58 is probably the next club I will buy.

An old golfing buddy of mine would say, less is more. Seems to hold true. But, it is so easy to want to swing hard.

It's crazy how much that is true. The best tee box tip lesson was given from a stranger I was paired with on a twilight round. I had been struggling off the tee the front 9 with a two way miss. He was an older guy and said 'I hope you don't mind me telling you this. You've got a nice swing, you're just trying to swing too fast, especially on the backswing. Think about your backswing like you're fly fishing.'

It changed my swing that day and for the rest of the year. If I can remember to do that in my backswing and transition, I hit the ball great...and with easy power.

But of course when I start playing well I think I can squeeze a few more yards off the tee by, wait for it, swinging faster.

#thickskull

I bought a SmartSole chipper last night. But still wondering if I should have went with the Smart Sole S. High and soft shots are where I need the most help around the green. I'll try it out today. I got it at the PGA Tour SS, so worst case I can take it back under the playability guarantee.

I bought a SmartSole chipper last night. But still wondering if I should have went with the Smart Sole S. High and soft shots are where I need the most help around the green. I'll try it out today. I got it at the PGA Tour SS, so worst case I can take it back under the playability guarantee.

I started out looking at the chipper, but ended up with the S. It's fantastic around the greens. Perfect for those high soft shots.

Back