Closest to the pin, how do you measure?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
This came up last week in league, we have a closest to the pin pot on all par 3's. I've seen guys walking of distances, using the stick all of which are not accurate. Then last week..it happened and my mind was blown. A guy pulled out a tape measure from his bag :oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. While initially I thought he was crazy, its also kind of brilliant. Have you ever seen a guy pull a tape measure out of his bag?How does your league measure a closest to?

I usually pace it off if they look close to the same distance but usually there is enough of a gap it seems to be easily noticed.

Have you ever seen a guy pull a tape measure out of his bag?
Yes, but it wasn't to measure closest to the pin.

He was coming down the 18th hole, after a stop at the 19th hole, toward the tee box and suddenly stopped right in front of the box. I had no choice but to wait. He got out of the cart, slowly made his way back to the bag, came back around to the front, and measured the width of his golf cart.

He hopped back in, without saying a word, and went on his way. :confused2:

We pace it off if we can't eyeball it. If it's close enough, we'll use the flagstick to measure it.

haven't seen a tape measure pulled out of a bag :ROFLMAO: but at the event i played in on monday they had something like these on the closest to the pin holes. was the first time i've seen these around here (maybe they're more common elsewhere?). we usually just use the ol' "hold your finger on the flagstick" method.

Screen Shot 2021-08-25 at 1.54.57 PM.png

I've never been in one without a tape measure of some kind at the hole. Maybe not as big as what @links_slayer shows, but big enough to cover the max distance from flagstick to edge of green

Who carries a measuring tape in their bag lol

• Admin
Who carries a measuring tape in their bag lol
It literally blew my mind. His reasoning was because he saw a guy do it once and said he'd never get screwed out of a closest to again haha

haven't seen a tape measure pulled out of a bag :ROFLMAO: but at the event i played in on monday they had something like these on the closest to the pin holes. was the first time i've seen these around here (maybe they're more common elsewhere?). we usually just use the ol' "hold your finger on the flagstick" method.

View attachment 9024187

I've seen similar devices created like that before as well

Every tourney KP hole I have played on has had a tape and a marker board to record the distances and names.
I've played in a few leagues over the years and I've not seen a KP hole in any of them.

Why is it called KP anyway? Why not CP ? :oops:

Every tourney KP hole I have played on has had a tape and a marker board to record the distances and names.
I've played in a few leagues over the years and I've not seen a KP hole in any of them.

Why is it called KP anyway? Why not CP ? :oops:
I've never heard it called KP 🤷‍♂️

My course puts a sign and long tape measures on those KP holes.

The markers we use on the side have a tape measure fastened to the back of them. All of the scramble tourneys I have ever played also had tape measures.

Have never saw anyone pull one out of their bag though. :oops:

I've never heard it called KP 🤷‍♂️

I have only ever called it KP and asked the same question. KP does sound better than CTP which is what I have heard other people say. Who knows, some people call soda soda, some call it pop, some call it Coke. Different strokes.

I have only ever called it KP and asked the same question. KP does sound better than CTP which is what I have heard other people say. Who knows, some people call soda soda, some call it pop, some call it Coke. Different strokes.
CTP makes more sense than KP but you are right. I thought the tape measure in the bag was more odd than that haha

This came up last week in league, we have a closest to the pin pot on all par 3's. I've seen guys walking of distances, using the stick all of which are not accurate. Then last week..it happened and my mind was blown. A guy pulled out a tape measure from his bag :oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. While initially I thought he was crazy, its also kind of brilliant. Have you ever seen a guy pull a tape measure out of his bag?How does your league measure a closest to?

our league has tape measures out on the par 3's. If it's just a friendly think, we have someone pace it off.

I've never been close enough to have to worry about this problem. The only time I've moved the marker on a closest to the pin hole was in a shotgun scramble. Our group started on a par 3, and I was the only one to hit the green. I stuck that marker 25 feet from the hole and wrote my name on it. I doubt my mark stayed past the second group.

View attachment 9024187
My regional traveling senior league uses these. Pretty much need something similar that you can write down distances and who because there are typically 120 participants at each event and we pay 3 places on every par three. Our skins group (usually 20-40 players) also uses these whenever we're at the home course. We pay the closest on each par 3. If our skins group is at a course without similar devices the closest sticks an easily recognized tee and the final group to go through each par 3 brings in the tees.

A ball of string

We have always eye-balled or stepped it off. Though I did see someone recently use the measure app on his iPhone and I had never thought of that. He hit one really close and was 16” from a hole in one. I am not sure if it is exact but it seems pretty accurate.7EB45060-46EE-4B57-9574-668B6E181471.jpeg

That is…..totally….

Amazing. Hahahaha

Eyeball, pace, majority consensus. In that order of necessity.

My course has a tape measure affixed to the sign where people write their names. Takes the guesswork and conveniently longer and shorter, depending on who's distance they are measuring, paces out of the equation.

I've never understood it either, but isn't KP an acronym for "Key Performance"?

Back