Club Champion - Just to optimize current set?

CBaker

2024 Team Hackers #FailsatFive
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Hello!

So, club champion has half off a full bag fitting through the end of the year. Naturally, peaking my interest, but having no real strong interest to actually buy a full bag of clubs, made me wonder. Has anyone ever used something like Club Champion to just fit your current clubs the best they can? As in, loft/lie and other simple adjustments, maybe even try to adjust SW if something feels off, just to make sure you're making the best of your current set up? Really strongly thinking of doing so, so I can see testing of all of my numbers and make sure I'm hitting gaps the best I can with the clubs I have.

So...1) is this something they will do? and 2) is it something that anyone has done previously, and if so, how was it?

Thank you!

I would call and ask. I didn't go in with this intention a few years back but they ended up recommending to keep my current iron heads and just reshaft them. Same with putter, they just adjusted the loft and lie. Maybe you can get what you want with paying for a full bag fitting.

I haven't used CC for this, but I have used a local fitter for this exact purpose. I went in saying I'm not looking to upgrade my clubs, but I want to go through a fitting to see if there is some minor tweaks or maybe small shaft changes needed. End result was adding some weight to the head of the driver, new shafts for the fairway woods (which I bought and installed myself,) loft/lie changes to the irons and trued up the loft and lie on my wedges.

I haven't used CC for this, but I have used a local fitter for this exact purpose. I went in saying I'm not looking to upgrade my clubs, but I want to go through a fitting to see if there is some minor tweaks or maybe small shaft changes needed. End result was adding some weight to the head of the driver, new shafts for the fairway woods (which I bought and installed myself,) loft/lie changes to the irons and trued up the loft and lie on my wedges.

Worth it/would you do the same thing again if needed?

Yes, I have used them for this. I bought a full bag fitting with the deal and bought some new clubs (though, not from them). Then I won a free fitting with them a month later via social media. So we just did a distance gap fitting. I brought the ball I was playing at the time as well.

Yes, I have used them for this. I bought a full bag fitting with the deal and bought some new clubs (though, not from them). Then I won a free fitting with them a month later via social media. So we just did a distance gap fitting. I brought the ball I was playing at the time as well.

Would you recommend it in terms of just getting the gaps and everything set correctly for yourself?

Would you recommend it in terms of just getting the gaps and everything set correctly for yourself?
Sure, I didn’t change anything because the previous fitting was so recent. But it was good to confirm my carry numbers with my preferred golf ball. On top of that, I just find the experience fun. I’ve been through like 7 fittings now in just under 7 years of playing.

I think I am going to try and schedule a full fitting during the 1/2 off sale. I like the idea of going through my first fitting and just making sure I'm using the best possible set up of what I currently have. Thanks everyone!

having never been fit before i an very much looking to do this during the winter.

#GGMU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hello!

So, club champion has half off a full bag fitting through the end of the year. Naturally, peaking my interest, but having no real strong interest to actually buy a full bag of clubs, made me wonder. Has anyone ever used something like Club Champion to just fit your current clubs the best they can? As in, loft/lie and other simple adjustments, maybe even try to adjust SW if something feels off, just to make sure you're making the best of your current set up? Really strongly thinking of doing so, so I can see testing of all of my numbers and make sure I'm hitting gaps the best I can with the clubs I have.

So...1) is this something they will do? and 2) is it something that anyone has done previously, and if so, how was it?

Thank you!
I have a thread about the experience that a friend had in Indianapolis. Easy to search for I'm sure. Joey Simon is a beauty up there.

Locally, we've got one here in Cincinnati with two guys who are great. Spent a few hours with one of them, and have referred a handful of guys there who have all left with positive feedback.

It's a trip, but if you're ever down here and want a tag along, I'll absolutely join and be a part of making sure your bag is a lock. Two great guys who are passionate about the process and would be glad to be a part of it.

I think I am going to try and schedule a full fitting during the 1/2 off sale. I like the idea of going through my first fitting and just making sure I'm using the best possible set up of what I currently have. Thanks everyone!
It will be fun and you’ll enjoy it. I just got back from a free iron fitting at CC. After hitting @JMB3 Apex irons, I was going to pick the exact set on CPO but decided to go to CC, get fit and not guess. Turns out that combination worked and wasn’t pressured to buy a set from CC. I order a set from Callaway and I’m going back once I get them to confirm build and check the gaps. This is the perfect time to kick some tires and see if something is better for you in shafts or different irons.

Is that Time of year again?! I’m excited. But I’d say anytime you can dial things in at CC, go for it.

I had such a bad experience at my one short visit to Minneapolis Club Champion last year that I will never go back. It’s too bad because it’s 3.5 miles from my house.

I have a buddy who is happy with his CC fitting. He got a new driver and putter and they wound up putting new shafts in his 2 year old Ping irons.

I had such a bad experience at my one short visit to Minneapolis Club Champion last year that I will never go back. It’s too bad because it’s 3.5 miles from my house.

I have a buddy who is happy with his CC fitting. He got a new driver and putter and they wound up putting new shafts in his 2 year old Ping irons.
I'm really curious about what went wrong. If you've already described it in detail elsewhere, just point me to that thread. You're a scratch player, I think it's important to understand your experience.

I'd like to hear more about this too. Did you reach out to Club Champion about it? I am sure they'll make it right (and will very much want to know).

I'd like to hear more about this too. Did you reach out to Club Champion about it? I am sure they'll make it right (and will very much want to know).

It was last winter and I was just stopping in to check out the store as I had never been in a Club Champion. One of the two sales guys who were there came up to me and starting asking questions. When I answered his question about my clubhead speed and current shaft(s), he told be that it was super unlikely at my age that my clubhead speed was that high(103mph) and I no business playing x flex in my irons or woods even if I was at 103mph with a driver. All of this in the first 60 seconds after he had met me after only asking me two questions(he never asked what my index was). His arrogance and condescension was off the charts and I quickly thanked him for his time and left the store only after being there a couple minutes. I have no intention of reaching out to Club Champion or ever giving the Minneapolis location any of my business. I’m not opposed to trying the one that is 10 miles from our Naples condo as I’ve heard good things overall about that location.

Now that I’ve been here 18 months I’ve discovered though word of mouth that the reputation of a local company called Totally Driven is much better than our local CC, especially for low index players. They do everything including putters fittings(SAM), fitness, and lessons and are listed in the Top 100 Golf Digest clubfitters.

Last edited:
It was last winter and I was just stopping in to check out the store as I had never been in a Club Champion. One of the two sales guys who were there came up to me and starting asking questions. When I answered his question about my clubhead speed and current shaft(s), he told be that it was super unlikely at my age that my clubhead speed was that high(103mph) and I no business playing x flex in my irons or woods even if I was at 103mph with a driver. All of this in the first 60 seconds after he had met me after only asking me two questions(he never asked what my index was). His arrogance and condescension was off the charts and I quickly thanked him for his time and left the store only after being there a couple minutes. I have no intention of reaching out to Club Champion or ever giving the Minneapolis location any of my business. I’m not opposed to trying the one that is 10 miles from our Naples condo as I’ve heard good things overall about that location.

Now that I’ve been here 18 months I’ve discovered though word of mouth that the reputation of a local company called Totally Driven is much better than our local CC, especially for low index players. They do everything including putters fittings(SAM), fitness, and lessons and are listed in the Top 100 Golf Digest clubfitters.
What a let down that must have been. NOTHING like what I've experienced. Wow.

Wow! That is REALLY bad. That is exactly how not to do business.

What a let down that must have been. NOTHING like what I've experienced. Wow.

Yep. I was shocked at his demeanor and level of ineptitude. In over three decades in sales I’ve only met a handful of people that were such d****bags. Luckily the Totally Driven place is close by and I‘ve heard nothing but the highest praise for them from over a dozen guys. I may head over there today as it’s only 2.6 miles from my house. We’re also getting a PXG store here soon and I’ve heard great things about there company owned stores.

Thanks to all who have commented and shared their experiences. As someone who may be considering such a fitting in my future, I find this to be invaluable. It's apparent that people have had totally different experiences at different locations. Unlike some here, I'm am not close to any CC location. So, I would have to travel to take advantage of a CC fitting. Hearing about the different experiences at different locations gives me more information to consider in making any decision.

Hello!

Thank you!

I did this exact thing, but through a different (see competitor) fitting program. I don't see why they wouldn't do that for you.

Thanks again everyone! Fitting scheduled for this Saturday. Excited to see the outcome!

Back