Cobra Bio Cell Driver Review Thread

Overall the Bio Cell is a good driver. The feel on impact, the way it looks, both are standout qualities to me but it just isn't performing the way I had hoped. I took my 910 D2 out for a spin today and I forget how awesome that club is. It's almost effortless to hit straight bombs for me. So unfortunately, I think I may let the Bio Cell go to a loving home as it will just sit in my garage. I can see how it could really benefit someone struggling to keep the ball from slicing but more often than not, I have to fight to keep it right and that's just too much work for me. I really wanted to love this club and admittedly bought into the "newer is better" this time around, but it just wasn't the case for me. Good performer all around, just not the improvement I was hoping to see. Sorry for rambling, but just wanted to leave some input on my journey with this club.

So, I had some gift cards to burn, and got a really good deal on the Red Bio Cell in a R shaft, so I pulled the trigger. I had it cut down 3/4' and re-gripped with a Winn Dri Tac grip. I played a round with it last Sunday, and hit every fairway on the back 9 ( played the back 9 first ) at the Links Of Gettysburg, which is no easy feat! I lost it on the back ( front ) 9, but that was due to my shoulder flaring up again. And today I went to the range and hit it against my G25. Here are some observations - take them for what they are worth!

While this club is a fairway finder, it is considerably shorter than the G25. To give it a fair comparison, I marked my G25 down 3/4" and choked up to have a more apples to apples comparison. My SS is down to about 85mph, and I need as much carry as I can get. The Bio-Cell, for whatever reason, just doesn't have the launch I need. I played it on both the 11.5d and 12'. I was at an outside range, so I don't have numbers, but I know what I am looking at / for. Aiming at the same spot in the back of the range, I was able to hit the G25 over that spot consistently, while I never got the Bio-Cell to that spot in the air. I even double checked to make sure I didn't accidently get a stiff shaft, or even the +. I noticed it was much shorter when I played with it Sunday, but I thought I would give it a chance at the range and mess around with tee heights and hit it in better conditions. The dispersion at the range between the G25 and Bio Cell was about the same. Both are very forgiving on a less than stellar swing.

I am going to keep gaming the G25 at this point. The Bio Cell is a good club,( and the red looks awesome ) and if I didn't have the distance issues I do now, I would have no qualms about playing it. I may keep it and mess around with various shafts in it, not sure at this point!

Just bought one for $75 with the D+ shaft. Can't wait to give it a whirl based on some feedback in this thread.

Just bought one for $75 with the D+ shaft. Can't wait to give it a whirl based on some feedback in this thread.
That's a steal. Shaft alone is worth more than that. Love that shaft. What weight?

Bump hoping to get some thoughts -

Was looking at picking up one of these for cheap based on the great reviews here and a thin wallet ?, but was concerned about the natural draw bias.

My big miss with the driver the last couple years has been pull hooks and snap hooks.

Clearly something I want to work on fixing, but with that in mind would this driver be bad news?

I didn't have any hook issues with it during my "testing". My miss was actually to the right with it. The bio cell + worked better for me.

Never had any issues personally. Fantastic head.

Did either of you have an issue with a miss to the left beforehand? I just don't want anything that will exaggerate a problem.

Did either of you have an issue with a miss to the left beforehand? I just don't want anything that will exaggerate a problem.

I have had an issue missing left in the past so I am always concerned with any draw biased club. Did not have an issue with the bio cell. My time was very limited with it tho, maybe 50 swings.

I have had an issue missing left in the past so I am always concerned with any draw biased club. Did not have an issue with the bio cell. My time was very limited with it tho, maybe 50 swings.
Cool. 50 swings is a decent sample though.

Got a mint condition one being offered for $110 with an Aldila rip 60 stiff shaft. Seemed about right according to eBay prices. They're hovering around that price.

Cool. 50 swings is a decent sample though.

Got a mint condition one being offered for $110 with an Aldila rip 60 stiff shaft. Seemed about right according to eBay prices. They're hovering around that price.

I haven't checked recently but global golf had them on sale when I got mine. I got it for like $75 shipped. It was not in mint condition though.

I haven't checked recently but global golf had them on sale when I got mine. I got it for like $75 shipped. It was not in mint condition though.
Just checked earlier after seeing this, they're back up to 110 for excellent condition.

Switched to this driver last year. Love it. No problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm looking forward to a little better weather so that I can get back to the course and get reacquainted with mine. I was just really starting to get comfortable with mine back in October before I put my clubs away for hunting season.
It took a while for it to finally knock my Classic out of the bag, but things eventually clicked towards the end of the year and I managed to hit it quite well. Hopefully that will carry over to this spring.

Pulled the trigger on mine

I can't wait to put this thing through it's paces once the snow melts. I hope the Diamana is the trick for a great combo.

I really enjoy this driver - it is in my back-up set for no particular reason other than I have a WS D200 in my primary set.
Good distance, a little higher ball flight, but nothing too penal. I think the shaft is perfect for my swing (px 6.0)

I can't wait to put this thing through it's paces once the snow melts. I hope the Diamana is the trick for a great combo.

If not, you can sure try out the stock PXV shaft from mine.

Just got mine in today. Mint and it has the Aldila RIP 60 (Red Eyes) shaft. Can't wait to hit this thing.

The local rep gave me a demo head since mine got caved in. A little beat up but I remember how long it was so I might make it work.

how forgiving is this driver? the one in the market place is making my wallet want to jump out of my pocket.

how forgiving is this driver? the one in the market place is making my wallet want to jump out of my pocket.

Very forgiving, especially heel to toe. For me anyway.

It was my favorite driver of last year. Should be able to steal one right now.

Back