Compare/Contrast Mizuno vs Srixon Equipment

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Im doing a bit of a case study right now and curious about these two brands. Both Japanese, both global. Do you consider them the same, different, similar? If you are looking at one do you also look at the other? Do you think one is superior than the other or both high on the list? Do you not care at all?

Go as in depth as you want as this will all be super helpful.

To me when I think of forged or Japanese forged clubs, I lean towards Mizuno as they seem to have had a presence for a much longer time and naturally are thought of first.

I see what Srixon are doing, signing headline players like Brooks to go along with the typical home grown talent, they seem like an under the radar brand when comparing the two almost.

Really don’t have an opinion on Srixon - I tried some of their stuff on a whim and the irons didn’t suit me.
I really enjoyed the feel of Mizuno 921 when I tried them. They definitely worked better for me.

In terms of branding,I would lean toward Mizuno.

A bit different. I think Mizuno is still way more well known here. They have been around for a long time and have always had that reputation for beautiful looking and feeling players irons. Srixon has really only entered the fray here in the last few years. I still don't see many people playing or talking about Srixon locally. See way more Mizuno irons than Srixon. I think they both make great equipment, especially irons. I haven't done a ton of testing of their woods which appear to have significantly improved lately.

Both of these are brands, I’ve never played in my bag extensively, but have really liked and respected.

During my 2021 Iron Search, the 921 HMP were a contender to the very end. And on the flip side, I attempted to will the ZX5s into my bag. From a brand standpoint, I think both Mizuno & Srixon are known for making great irons. They have both made strides in their woods, with Srixon having an edge in the ball category. The Z-Star line is the most underrated ball in the market.

I consider them to be very much equals. I think Mizuno has a longer and stronger pedigree simply because they have been in the US market longer.

Lets break them down a bit by bag segment.

Ball - Srixon is obviously stronger here. Mizuno released a ball to the US market two years ago I think. It was a solid first offering but I have not seen a box in almost 9-10 months.
Wedges - I think you have to lump Cleveland with Srixon here and Cleveland has a strong pedigree and following. Mizuno is making big strides in wedges and they are gaining ground I think.
Irons - Mizuno wins here. With the JPX line and the Mizuno pro line. Mizuno is extremely popular. In my area I think I see more Mizuno then anything else other than Callaway.
Srixon is gaining I think. They have a strong tour presence and they have been playing well. Signing Brooks was a big deal and the ZX line is fantastic.. Again they have always had great stuff. It was just hard to find.
Woods - Mizuno is doing better and Srixon is as well. I think they are neck and neck here.

They are different to me. I feel like Mizuno is more popular around here.. The only thing I see around here Srixon is balls, I don't recall seeing many Srixon irons in peoples bags and definitely not drivers. Mizuno irons are and have been in bags for a long time. To be fair I haven't seen any Mizuno drivers either

I consider them to be very much equals. I think Mizuno has a longer and stronger pedigree simply because they have been in the US market longer.

Ball - Srixon is obviously stronger here. Mizuno released a ball to the US market two years ago I think. It was a solid first offering but I have not seen a box in almost 9-10 months.
Wedges - I think you have to lump Cleveland with Srixon here and Cleveland has a strong pedigree and following. Mizuno is making big strides in wedges and they are gaining ground I think.
Irons - Mizuno wins here. With the JPX line and the Mizuno pro line. Mizuno is extremely popular. In my area I think I see more Mizuno then anything else other than Callaway.
Srixon is gaining I think. They have a strong tour presence and they have been playing well. Signing Brooks was a big deal and the ZX line is fantastic.. Again they have always had great stuff. It was just hard to find.
Woods - Mizuno is doing better and Srixon is as well. I think they are neck and neck here.
I agree with all of this and really couldn’t of said it any better. So I’m co-signing. Great post.

• Admin
They are different to me. I feel like Mizuno is more popular around here.. The only thing I see around here Srixon is balls, I don't recall seeing many Srixon irons in peoples bags and definitely not drivers. Mizuno irons are and have been in bags for a long time. To be fair I haven't seen any Mizuno drivers either
Do you think a person wanting one, or wanting to be fit for one, the next logical "grab" by person or the fitter is the other?

Do you think a person wanting one, or wanting to be fit for one, the next logical "grab" by person or the fitter is the other?
Guess it depends but in general I'd say yes.

I was ready to get either last year and ended up with Mizuno because the fitting cart never arrived at our course for the Srixon irons. I think I would have been equally happy with the Srixons, but love my Mizuno.

Interesting list that makes sense. Lets look at irons. Ill ask you what I asked @jdtox if a person comes into your store and asks for JPX, and you dont have it, do you immediately think Srixon?

To be totally honest I would buy Mizuno and skip right over Srixon. To me Mizuno has the reputation of excellence and buttery feel. Not to knock Srixon. Have just never considered their equipment. I do like their balls however.

I think they are pretty comparable. Mizuno probably has the better reputation but Srixon is making up a lot of ground. Srixon is more favorable to me due to price and to be honest, I feel if my fitter had Srixon I probably would have been fit into the ZX7s. That said, I don’t have a preference of one over the other and I really only think of them when it comes to irons

huh, interesting question. honestly i’ve never thought of them in the same space although i guess i should have.

mizuno has always been about classic lines and forged feel. only recently have i noticed just how much tech and innovation they’re incorporating into their clubs while maintaining so much of what i’ve loved about them over the years.

i do think srixon tries to blend classic looks with a techy flair, but maybe not as successfully as often as mizuno does. they seem to be of a similar issue as mizuno when it comes to convincing consumers that their woods are just as good as the competition, like they’re both more of an iron company? at least that’s been my perception until the last few years.

Until THP, I sort of lumped them in together. I admired the looks of irons from both but never thought that they were for me. I associated both with blades. Because of that, I never looked at performance.

When I finally had a fitting, I hit the Mizuno 919 HMP and the Srixon Z585. I didn't hit the Srixons well at all but the Mizunos in my top 3.

Interesting list that makes sense. Lets look at irons. Ill ask you what I asked @jdtox if a person comes into your store and asks for JPX, and you dont have it, do you immediately think Srixon?

It depends. Typically, if someone asks for something specific. They generally know what they are looking for. If after looking, hitting, etc the conversation wonders from what was asked for originally. Yes, Srixon is getting brought up. The question is almost always asked. So what is similar. That is when srixon gets brought up.

I can also say personally. Last year I played Srixon. I bought them early. Even before Brooks won. I didn't get them for 3 months but different story. But I have been a Srixon fan since the Z945s..

But I have also had multiple sets of Mizuno irons. Even currently. Also, look at my sig.. I have both Mizuno and Srixon irons and, mizuno and Cleveland wedges in my bag.. So that is about as pudding proof of them being equal in my eyes as I can get. lol..

When I think of Srixon I think of balls, I then also think of Cleveland for clubs specifically wedges. I think of a mid line / mid level company in terms of prestige and more beginner friendly in terms of style. When I think of Mizuno I think of more premium irons, and I also think of their logo. I couldn't tell you for a thousand dollars what the Srixon logo is, but I could point out the Mizuno one.

This is a great topic, and interesting thought exercise.

I feel they are both really good iron companies, and I would gladly play either in my bag. In fact, they would be 2 of the top 3 for irons I would play. For anything else like woods, I would play them if I was fit into them, or found a good deal, but I they wouldn't necessarily on the top of my list. For this, I'm not counting Cleveland, which is under the Srixon umbrella, so this keeps me at the main focus of irons.

I've played a set of Srixon irons, and absolutely loved them. Some other opportunities presented themselves, so I moved on, but would hop back into the current ZX lineup without hesitation. Great feeling, looking and performing irons. Mizuno has been a company that I've really wanted to play their irons for a few years now, but just have not had the opportunity. I would play them without question though, and would love to test out the Nothing Feels Like a Mizuno moniker. Both irons look fantastic, so I don't see one jumping ahead based on looks. Although I've never played Mizuno, I'm sure they would match Srixon in terms of buttery soft feel.

I feel like Mizuno is the known name in the iron space, where as Srixon is underrated but up and coming. I fell like both have been upping their game in the woods department, to try to bring along that part of the business, but irons still dominate their brand.

If I was to use a Japanese comparison:
Mizuno = Lexus
Srixon = Toyota
The Srixon will clearly do you well, but the Mizuno just has that extra PERCEPTION of luxury.

I mean they are so close in some categories:

I think the Cleveland Brand opens Srixon to more "Weekend Warriors" that what Mizuno offers in the US.
I know that Mizuno has the Eurus line (Like Cleveland) that is offered in Japan.
Think the Cleveland & XXIO Brands along with the Golf Ball line makes Srixon a more "Robust" of a company.

Yes, and during my fitting last fall when I turned down the JPX that was the next iron that was handed to me.

If I was to use a Japanese comparison:
Mizuno = Lexus
Srixon = Toyota
The Srixon will clearly do you well, but the Mizuno just has that extra PERCEPTION of luxury.
Interesting because price point is roughly the same at release.

Oh, this is a good one! I might be a weird data point, becuase I have extensively played Srixon irons but never owned Mizuno irons. I am also a total feel hound... when I was looking to update some Hogan CB's, I was loo king for a certain makeup and feel and at teh time z745 was the best on the market. Now ZX7 in the same category. I personally tend to prefer the feel of Srixon irons over Mizuno, the 1020 forgings are slightly softer and are top notch. Mizuno uses 1025 and are slightly harder IMO.

Shaping I like both, but am more familiar with Srixon, though less popular.

I look at both really closely, probably two of my top brands for irons, and lately woods and fairways/hybrids as well. IZX7 and 223 are top competitors in my typical iron style, for example. I would game either gladly.

I think Mizuno has more of a historical reputation, but Srixon stand toe to toe with them on just about any metric you want to bring up as far as I am concerned.

I have a bit more history with Mizuno as I had a set of MP14's back in the day.

First blush word association:

Mizuno = premier iron forgings
Srixon= great golf balls

If someone says they play Mizuno, first thought is irons. Srixon is balls.

Mizuno's reputation is built on forgings (irons and wedges) and now has a up and coming line of drivers, fairway woods and putters. Yet no matter how great their woods are they will still be known for their precision forged irons. Srixon, on the other hand, is attempting to be a more rounded OEM with a wide array of club and ball offerings-except wedges and putters which are covered by Cleveland.

Hope that helps @JB

Back