CONTEST Contest: The Grandmama: A Full Bag of Callaway Equipment, a Trip and More!

The Cobra Speedzone Xtreme is a point and shoot fairway finder. Even with my flawed swing and slower clubhead speed, the Xtreme keeps my ball in play.

Entry:

I’ve chased speed, lusted for distance, and dreamed of finding fairways. And I haven’t been able to find all three; until now.

My driver sounds like a refined Howitzer, blasting golf balls into the fairway. It is consistently among the top in reviews, both because of performance and it’s incredible price.

I’ve combined this tee box weapon with a custom 1-of-1 shaft and I think I may have found Driver Nirvana.

My driver comes stock in two colour-ways, and I’ve selected the more muted white version; even James Bond knows to wear black and white for special occasions.

Yes, it’s that good.

Official entry:

I am currently playing the regular SIM driver with helium shaft. I had to loft up to get my spin rate up, however it is very point and shoot for me. No wild shots lost left or right. Forgiving for my miss , which is high toe. Sound is very nice, muffled and not loud. Has a great look from the top and easy to align. Honestly the best driver I’ve played and I do think there is something to the twist face that helps keeps drives more on line.

Thanks for the opportunity, always trying to get a Callaway driver in the bag.

I still game the Callaway XR 16 driver 10.5 degree. It has been a great driver for me and basically the 1st driver I ever bought when I started getting into golf. I get good spin numbers, height and distance for me. We usually get along with each other and I can hit it pretty consistently most of the time. Lately we have been having some battles and now that I can go somewhere to get fit it may be time to finally replace it. Problem I have is that every time i have tested a new driver it doesn't really beat this one, but i do have issues hitting indoors on a simulator even with my own driver. I feel I need to get fit and even if numbers are spectacular get a new driver in the bag.

I am going to go ultra minimalist on the word count and writing a driver haiku.

OFFICIAL::

Early morning sun rays,

Fresh dew drops stick on the ground,

Shape In Motion ball soars,

Last edited:
I trust my XR16. It does what I ask of it. Performs how I need it, and finds that elusive fairway when it is most needed. It is the perfect driver for my game.

Have I tried newer models and other brands? Yes.
Have I made this made this decision based on comparative data? Of Course Not.
I base it on non-comparative random testing on sketchy retail simulators.

Do I want to take that journey, learn about that data and the tech, and see how much new Callaway product could benefit my game? 100% Yes.

Read this whole post before entering

A couple of weeks ago, we had Jason Finley on THP Live talking about a new THP Experience coming this year called the Grandmama. A spin off of the Grandaddy of em All and we are super excited for what some members of this forum will get to experience.

View attachment 8950106

It is an all expenses paid trip of a lifetime.

What's Included
Airfare
Hotels
Club Fitting at ECPC
Full bag of clubs
Tour Callaway
Meet R&D
Play Golf with members of the team there
And so much more
This will take place in early December

At the Grandaddy each year, 12 lucky THPers experience something special, but it comes with a job of reviewing their equipment to the masses through the THP Forum once it is released. This year, there are only 4, but they will be doing the job of 12, so we are looking for the committed. The person that loves to talk about this game, the equipment and share his honest assessment of everything they learn through content and reviews.

Qualifying
You must be a 2020 Albatross Club Member to enter. The club is open to anybody and helps benefit a wonderful charity. All of the details and benefits are here.

The Contest
Drivers are always a hot topic on the THP Forum and we look forward to you the forum member to provide tons of feedback on what you are playing. Reviews and thoughts come in all shapes and sizes and there are not only no two alike, but there is not a right and wrong. For this contest, take the driver in your bag currently, or one you have tried this year and review it in this thread.

How to Enter
Tell us in 100 words or less, about your driver, in a way that would bring conversation, thoughts and questions from other THPers.

Good luck everybody. This contest will remain open for about a week.

Continue reading...
I have a Callaway XR speed driver and I just can't figure out how to adjust it so I hit the ball straighter, also don't have the money to get fitted but would love to

Mavrik Standard, 9° For me. Tried all 3 Iterations and standard reigned supreme. A true distance and dispersion king. Forgiveness (especially toe) is best I’ve seen and sound is pleasing. What’s there not to like about a driver that is virtually point and shoot. Paired with the 50G Riptide in S flex I picked up 3 mph in clubhead speed. I’m 63 years old, play with guys 10 years younger and am by far the longest in the group by as much as 30 yds at times. Do you feel the need, the need for speed?

Playing an Epic Flash with Ventus Blue shaft, standard length. As an older golfer I struggle to produce distance which this does produce to some extent. The real bonus is how accurate I have become. The feedback in terms of feel is vey good. I actually think I need a little more spin but am afraid of messing with something that works so well. Still looking for more distance, willing to give up some accuracy (not much) for it. Best driver of my playing career but am always looking for the holy grail!

Entry:
Coming from that guy with a new "toy" in my bag several times a year. Being a “club hoe”, I liked researching/testing clubs. For years, I have tried at least 20 drivers. I played the F9 from Club Champion. Awesome driver (the best... I thought). Enter the THP forum review of the new Callaway Mavrik drivers. I was intrigued. Soooo many reviews. I messaged some members (Snickerdog, tomcat, NoShanks, McLovin, and HarryPotter) and asked more detail about their drivers. I now own the Mavrik Max with the Ventus and absolutely KNOW it is the best driver I have EVER played.

Entry:

In terms of driver age in this era, the Cobra King LTD is probably already receiving AARP junk mail. Don’t let that lead you to believe it’s not still relevant, though, as it’s tech heavy but eye pleasing design still keeps up with the new and shiny models on the shelves today. The shadowed carbon fiber pattern on the crown perfectly represents this driver - it may look simple from a distance but upon closer inspection you realize there’s a lot hidden underneath. The blend of distance and forgiveness is as timeless as the shape, and I’m sure it will be a staple in my bag for the next few seasons.

Unless, you know..... ;)

Good luck to everyone that enters!

A Srixon 785 & A Maverick Sub Zero Walk into my bag...
The 785 has been a mainstay in the bag since first hitting it. Fairways fairways and more fairways. Love everything about it.

Checks every box for me

Then I lowballed a maverick on the ebay while sipping on a cocktail.
All of a sudden I’m 20 yards further, ballin out off the tee (for me)

Both look, sound, and feel amazing don’t get me wrong.

But the Maverick is currently WITB because it just isn’t the Tito’s creating more club head speed.

Official entry:
If I’m going to be completely honest with myself I can’t write a glowing review for the driver I’m currently using. I’ve enjoyed spurts of excellence followed by pure misery. Dammit now that I’m reflecting on my driving performance so far this year I know I need a new driver. I thought I loved you ping g410 lst...but I just can’t trust you like I did your older brother the g400 lst. I have tried to be patient, even bought you 3 new shafts to see if that would help to no avail. When you get back from the repair shop there will be someone new sitting in your spot in the bag.

Entry:

You know the next shiny object syndrome? I used to have that until I found my one perfect driver. Been with her for about a year now and I really think this is the one. No relationship is perfect and the odd curve comes up but you learn the tendencies and what buttons to push (and not). Epic Flash is her name and she brings the best out of me...off the tee anyway. Sometimes she looks at me while on the fairway but I know she's teasing. She's no help around the greens though. Alas, no one is perfect.

Entry:
My current driver is the TS2 with a stiff shaft. I just recently started playing golf and splurged on this. Recently I made some changes to my seeing that I like to think had given me effortless power. Going in to get fitted would be a great opportunity to see how much I've improved and if I should really be playing extra stiff or stiff shafts. I think it'd just be a valuable learning experience in how my game works.

Last edited:
Do I think I will get chosen for the Grandmamma? No way. Should I even be considered? Not a chance. Do I love reviewing gear and talking about my awesome standard Mavrik? Yes.

Official entry >

I was fit into the Standard Mavrik 10.5 at the 2019 Grandaddy. It is the perfect combination of sound, feel, forgiveness, and distance. From the very first strike I have been in love with this driver. Did that keep me from trying the Max? Nope. I tried that one and did not like the sound and did not find it to be any more forgiving than the standard. I am waiting for a Sub Zero to arrive and see if the fade bias and reduced spin can improve upon the standard.

20200622_115948.jpg

Yesterday's best shot

20200502_135501.jpg

My best measured drive so far.

20200425_183148 (2).jpg

20200425_183148 (3).jpg

20200421_182704.jpg

20200421_182827.jpg

Read this whole post before entering

A couple of weeks ago, we had Jason Finley on THP Live talking about a new THP Experience coming this year called the Grandmama. A spin off of the Grandaddy of em All and we are super excited for what some members of this forum will get to experience.

View attachment 8950106

It is an all expenses paid trip of a lifetime.

What's Included
Airfare
Hotels
Club Fitting at ECPC
Full bag of clubs
Tour Callaway
Meet R&D
Play Golf with members of the team there
And so much more
This will take place in early December

At the Grandaddy each year, 12 lucky THPers experience something special, but it comes with a job of reviewing their equipment to the masses through the THP Forum once it is released. This year, there are only 4, but they will be doing the job of 12, so we are looking for the committed. The person that loves to talk about this game, the equipment and share his honest assessment of everything they learn through content and reviews.

Qualifying
You must be a 2020 Albatross Club Member to enter. The club is open to anybody and helps benefit a wonderful charity. All of the details and benefits are here.

The Contest
Drivers are always a hot topic on the THP Forum and we look forward to you the forum member to provide tons of feedback on what you are playing. Reviews and thoughts come in all shapes and sizes and there are not only no two alike, but there is not a right and wrong. For this contest, take the driver in your bag currently, or one you have tried this year and review it in this thread.

How to Enter
Tell us in 100 words or less, about your driver, in a way that would bring conversation, thoughts and questions from other THPers.

Good luck everybody. This contest will remain open for about a week.

Continue reading...
JUST put the PXG 0811 Proto in the bag, first impression: Love at first sight. The look just inspires confidence. I have the Tensei Pro White 80tx in there and hit a heel spinner that with my last driver would have been OB for sure, this was barely in the rough. The Shaft/head combo felt great in my first round. Sound is a little bit different but I liked it. I will most likely need to re-grip. Excited to get a full range session in and really put it through its paces, move the weights, etc.

Thanks THP and Callaway, for another amazing opportunity, here's my official entry:

The Tour Edge Exotics EXS driver is packed with loads of the latest driver tech, Variable Thickness Face, RollFace Tech, Carbon Fiber Crown and Toe, Dual Adjustable Sole weights, an Adjustable Hosel, and a real-deal Tensei CK Blue shaft. All this for way less $$$ than most other comparable drivers on the market. But this is a review, not a sales pitch, so what does all that mean? For me it has been confidence, with more fairways hit, good distance, great feel and sound. This is a driver that will be staying in my bag for quite some time.

Some great entries so far! (y)

Entry:

My current driver is a red-headed stepchild, in every sense. The Wilson C300 has a handsome deep red crown and is a low spinner with plenty of adjustability. But Wilson woods tend to lag the competition and this one is no different. It has a great shape and well designed hosel, but it just doesn’t produce the ball speeds competing drivers can attain. For me it’s a good, but certainly not the best, fit. I should probably fix my swing, but I’m lazy so I’ll try finding a low spinner with more speed 😏

Not an entry but want to share anyways:

The Mav SZ has been an absolute difference maker in my bag in 2020. according to Arccos, driving is the best part of my game (Which hasn’t been the case in years past) and my best round was last week and the stats said I was a +5.4 in driving. Averaging 294 yards with 357 the longest :oops: This thing is a beast!

TS2, it's all about speed. Titleist created a driver to catch up to the competition in speed by creating a thinner titanium crown & by shaving the face so thin that the ball explodes off the face. Having gamed the 917, they did increase the speed with a higher MOI and also by removing the ARC slot, which reduced weight in the front of the sole so it can be moved to the back to achieve the correct launch & spin. The streamlined shape is also designed for speed & aerodynamics, so if you need speed, then you need the TS2.

Entry:

With a dime sized sweet spot, Titleist TS4 is not for the thin skinned. This driver is one of the longest, straightest drivers I’ve hit. Shaping and flight control are fantastically easy; The *THWACK!* from the 430cc head is unrivaled.

At address TS4 provides no distraction. Subtlety its greatest feature.

Miss the dime and immediately lose 20+ yards, but it won’t cost you a FIR. Somehow, Titleist has made the most unforgiving driver forgiving. You'll be reminded that you aren’t as good as you think you are, but TS4 won’t take you out of competition. What a concept!

Back