Coolest thing you've done on a golf course

gatoreric

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.6
I know we got a best shot of your round thread, but I wanted a little different angle on it. Wondering what the coolest thing you've done on a golf course. I'll start by saying the coolest thing I've ever done was hit a drive and for some crazy reason my tee was flying directly in front of me and I reached out and grabbed it out of the air like a ninja. I tell this story all the time as I wait for it to happen again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know about the coolest, but I hit a ball out of the hazard, hit a couple trees and landed right back where I just hit. Didn't even move for my next shot.

A friend of mine had his ball outside the fairway, the lie wasn't that good, hard and patches of rough. About 60-50 yards to the pin, he hit his ball, a low shot, bumped once and was just short of the green. Good shot, from a difficult position. I was standing next to him, and he had asked before is took his shot if he should go hi or lo. I recommended a low shot since there was a huge old pine tree in front of us, and hitting a low shot seemed the safest. Well...he said he was happy he took the low shot. I already had a 60° wedge in hand and I trough a ball in the exact spot where his ball had been, with out hesitating I took a swing. Huge lobby shot over the pine trough just inches from hitting the top, landed 2 feet from the cup and ended up within a couple of inches from the hole. The guys we were playing with started applauding and I tried to be cool about it :)

I'm sure I'm the only one who probably thinks its cool, but there's not a more unique golf experience than playing barefoot. Something about feeling the grass between your toes that makes the game feel more organic and connected.

sent without the boss's knowledge...

On a more standard interpretation, I was playing my home course this fall and on #16, a 230yd par 3, I hoseled the crap out of a 5i and watched it sail towards a huge tree short and right of the green. My ball smacked a thick limb and bounced on to the green, ten feet from the hole. Weirdest birdied I've ever made

Barefoot...pine needles at my course says No! :)

My coolest was watching a playing partner blade his hybrid from the tee on a fairly long par 3. The ball hit a large bolder, headed for the green and rolled directly at the pin ending with a hole in one. I realized that I was the only one who saw the ricochet so I said nothing in the tee box. While everyone looked, I suggested that he look in the hole - quite a surprise for him.

Always think its super cool too when I see wildlife on the course. I've seen numerous deer and elk crossing the river on my home course as well as foxes playing in adjacent fields and even a mountain lion one on a ridge line above the property. Always makes me smile

I was out at my home course just having a fun round with some friends, hit an absolutely terrible tee shot and was just short of the pond on the hole. I called my shot by doing the punch skip across the water shot like the guys do at the Master's par 3 course. I hit it exactly how I wanted to and rolled up to the fringe. Till this day I've never been able to do it again. Definitely one of the coolest things I've pulled off.

Back in the '93 I won a raffle that allowed me to play 3 holes with Hale Irwin for the grand opening of a local course he designed. We started on the 10th and I was so nervous I promptly pull hooked my first shot OB. I spent the rest of the hole getting over being embarrassed. The 11th is a par 5 with water on the right and bunkers left. Hale got up and striped a good one down the middle. I was last on the tee and decided to just relax and let it fly and hit a great drive right down the middle. When we get up near our shots I see that I hit it about 15 yards past his ball. I smiled at Hale and he gives me this who-the-f-do-you-think-you-are look. Of course he then goes on to birdie the hole to my par and then gives ME a smile as we walk off the green. Totally schooled me and it made my millennium!

Proposing to my wife in 1987 on the course, all alone just playing golf.

I once topped a ball so much I could catch it, straight pop up!

Playing with snow falling was kind of cool.

From about 70 yards out and dead behind a bush, I opened a 2 iron up about 45 degrees, put the ball way back in my stance, aimed about 60 degrees left of the green, then stabbed the club down on the back of the ball. The ball shot out onto the fairway with wicked side spin, hit the ground about 30 yards short of the green, bit, and took off straight right rolling onto the green 6 feet from the hole. It didn't feel like a shank, but had the spin of one.

I've tried to duplicate that shot a few times over the years but have never been able to do it again.

One of the weirdest things that ever happened was when I got a double birdie. I was about 145 out, absolutely pured a pitching wedge, right into one of those tiny ground skimming swallows as it flew in front of me about 3 feet from my impact point. The poor bird turned into a puff of feathers while the ball actually continued a somewhat normal flight and landed 8 feet from the hole. I even made the putt. Felt bad about the poor bird though.

Last edited:
Chipped off a frozen a pond.
Hit a maintenance cart and got to within 4 feet of the hole off the bounce for a gir.

I was playing in a Yellow Ball Scramble, where one player uses a yellow ball on one hole per side based on HDCP. For my first hole, I pull hooked the yellow ball into the next fairway--or so I thought. The course was wet, and there was a small creek running through an area between the next hole's white and red tee boxes. Because the course was so wet, that area around the creek was completely saturated--to the point that I could barely walk through there without losing my shoes. My ball was somewhere in that muck. Since you lose points for losing the yellow ball, I trudged through the slop for about 10 minutes (while the rest of my foursome played their scramble ball) and finally found it. The group on the next tee had stopped to help me look (from afar, after I warned them not to walk through the wet muck) and when I found it they suggested I take a drop. Aggravated, but relieved that I found the ball, I pulled a 56 degree wedge, took my unbalanced swing, almost fell face first into the mud, and the ball dropped on the green about 8 feet from the pin. From a lost yellow ball to a par, I'll think that qualifies as cool.

I was in the second round of a 54 hole tournament, at my home course. The event was played at 3 courses, a different one each day. I was a few strokes off the lead but in the final group when we came to the 11th hole. I had butchered my first two shots on the long par 4, and was about 70 yards from the green in the pine straw but with an open shot. A number of people were following our group, and most (maybe 15) were at the green when I hit my wedge shot. The green was slightly elevated from me, so I didn't see what happened, but everybody up there went nuts. They told me my shot flew into the hole, bounced out about five feet away, and then spun back into the hole - BIRDIE!!! One guy was videoing some of the play, but dang it he missed that one. I was so pumped that I birdied the next two holes, had low round of the day and took the tourney lead. Alas the 3rd day I had some poor luck to back up to 3rd place, but I will never forget that shot and how much one swing can turn a round into something special.

Played a Par 6 from the tips (747 yards).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coolest thing was bouncing a ball off a frozen sand trap onto the green from about 120yds.

Weirdest thing was watching a red fox track down and run off with my aunt's ball in Myrtle Beach.

The best thing I've done happened when I was about 14-15. Father and I went out on a Sunday (day after I get bit on the wrist by our dog) and ended up playing 18, and joining up with a two-some who must of been mid to late 20's. Tee'd off on 1, they wanted to try and play for money but since we were just out for fun, we declined (not to mention I was fricken 14!) But boy were they glad we declined. Front 9 I won a couple holes, and the back 9 I absolutely took them to school and won 7 of the 9 holes.

I flopped a ball over a maintenance hut once. Par 4 dogleg left and I slice it right behind a row of trees and a maintenance hut. I was far from the hole and went for the hero shot so I used my PW, opened up as much as I could and pop the ball over the hut back on to the fairway.

The 1st time I ever played with THPers, I hit a wedge that took a crazy bounce of a hill & landed in the trash can behind the green.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back