Could Grips Be Causing This?

collegefbfan

Reaction score
When I had my Titleist AP1's, they had Golf Pride Grips on them. They weren't really oversized at all, they just felt like they had a little more cushion to them. I didn't really swing those clubs that much. I was about to give up on golf anyway. But the lessons I had early on were with those clubs. I sold them and purchased the Wilson D9's. The grips feel a little thinner, not as much "cushion". I don't have big hands by any means. I have noticed with more practice, my arms and wrists are a little more sore than before. I am not hitting off a mat. I know more practice than with the AP1's could just be muscle soreness. But I will say, when I fat a shot hitting into the net especially as often as I do, I can sure feel it. Especially days after. Would a better brand, more "cushion" grip help? If so, please suggest some brands that have a little more forgiving feel on badly hit shots, but not huge in size.

When I had my Titleist AP1's, they had Golf Pride Grips on them. They weren't really oversized at all, they just felt like they had a little more cushion to them. I didn't really swing those clubs that much. I was about to give up on golf anyway. But the lessons I had early on were with those clubs. I sold them and purchased the Wilson D9's. The grips feel a little thinner, not as much "cushion". I don't have big hands by any means. I have noticed with more practice, my arms and wrists are a little more sore than before. I am not hitting off a mat. I know more practice than with the AP1's could just be muscle soreness. But I will say, when I fat a shot hitting into the net especially as often as I do, I can sure feel it. Especially days after. Would a better brand, more "cushion" grip help? If so, please suggest some brands that have a little more forgiving feel on badly hit shots, but not huge in size.
Steel shafts?

Not a brand specific issue. Golf Pride makes softer grips as well, especially the CP2 lineup. Perhaps try one of those on your 7 iron before doing the full set.

They may have been the same size grips with more wraps of tape underneath. As far as soft grips, Superstroke Cross Comfort have some squish to them.

Grips, shafts, change is swing… lots of variables.

My irons with Dynamic Gold S300 are way more comfortable on mishits than my Project X LS 6.0’s

Maybe some or just a couple of these variables. I will say that I could notice and feel that the grips aren’t as soft. Not even in swinging the club, just holding it. Thanks.

Just a guess on my part, but your post mentioned you hit a copious amount of fat shots. Even with a grip change, hitting too many fatties will continue to cause soreness.

Perhaps just adjusting your swing a little, to pick the ball clean off the turf could help with the expense of replacing the grips, and fixing the soreness problem.

Just a thought.

Golf Pride CPX are very comfortable grips, and seem to be wearing well for me so far.

Winn Dri-Tacs are some of the most comfortable grips I've ever used, but their longevity is....not good.

Just a guess on my part, but your post mentioned you hit a copious amount of fat shots. Even with a grip change, hitting too many fatties will continue to cause soreness.

Perhaps just adjusting your swing a little, to pick the ball clean off the turf could help with the expense of replacing the grips, and fixing the soreness problem.

Just a thought.
Oh yeah I agree. I have a lesson coming up in about two weeks. My wife was wondering what I wanted for Father's Day. Her and the kids might go in on the grips (if I need them). I think I should be able to regrip them myself. Seems semi easy enough. I am not a do it yourselfer unless changing spark plugs, oil, changing a car battery, some computer stuff. Now, if it has wires connected to any source of electricity, I will leave that too the experts.

Oh yeah I agree. I have a lesson coming up in about two weeks. My wife was wondering what I wanted for Father's Day. Her and the kids might go in on the grips (if I need them). I think I should be able to regrip them myself. Seems semi easy enough. I am not a do it yourselfer unless changing spark plugs, oil, changing a car battery, some computer stuff. Now, if it has wires connected to any source of electricity, I will leave that too the experts.
I do my own grip changes these days. The only thing I try do is find blank grips with no alignment markings on them. That way I can just slide them on however I want.

If you do regrip you can get a set of these and put in the shafts:

I had some elbow issues playing Dynamic
Golds. The original sensicore inserts helped a great deal. These look similar and would be worth trying for $21, imho.

Re-gripping is easy a YouTube video will show you. I used a dewalt clapped to the rubber base to a table and did three clubs the hardest part was getting the 10’year old glue and take off.

I used a roller paint tray to catch the lube. I got a kit from dicks sporting goods.

The thing is I see a lot of people on youtube doing a great job with great videos and explanations and what not to do. Is it really that safe to scrape the old tape off with a sharp blade of a utility knife? I know not to do this on the graphite shafts. I think my clubs with graphite shafts are okay. Just my irons. I saw one guy use a hair dryer to heat up the old tape before removing it.

Also, if I go this route of doing it myself, are the kits on Amazon the way to go? Or should I be looking at purchasing better supplies elsewhere? I need all the details.

The thing is I see a lot of people on youtube doing a great job with great videos and explanations and what not to do. Is it really that safe to scrape the old tape off with a sharp blade of a utility knife? I know not to do this on the graphite shafts. I think my clubs with graphite shafts are okay. Just my irons. I saw one guy use a hair dryer to heat up the old tape before removing it.
A hook blade is the way to go. Definitely want to use heat beforehand to make the old tape easier to get off. I actually use a torch, but a hair dryer is better than nothing. I do my own grips sitting on my couch in the living room. Having the right tools makes it easier, but it can be done without fancy equipment. Those kits on Amazon are okay, but the tape is usually cheap.

What other materials provide best results? Brand of double sided tape and solvent. Any brands to stay away from?

Also, if I go this route of doing it myself, are the kits on Amazon the way to go? Or should I be looking at purchasing better supplies elsewhere? I need all the details.
Regripping is a piece of cake. I got the tape and spray off of Amazon. I’m not even sure the spray is required - it might just be soapy water for all I know, but I had never done it before. I started with wedges because of the steel shafts. Just used a box cutter to get the old grips off. Once you get a cut started, the grip peels off pretty easily. If it gets stuck, just start another cut. And don’t worry about getting the old tape off - no need. Just get the part of the tape that folds down into the top of the shaft, especially on woods/driver. I’ve had that hardened tape fall into a driver head before, creating a rattle. Very annoying.

Once the grip is off, apply new tape, spray it down, squirt a little into the grip and slide it on. Super easy to do.

As far as grips go, I’ve recently gone to mid-sized grips for my woods and driver. I’ll probably do the same for my irons at some point. I don’t have large hands, but they just fit my grip better, but I also use a 10 finger grip. Like @WLG1952 says, find a grip where orientation doesn’t matter. I like the Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360s. They’re around $5/grip.

I am just now finding out there are different core sizes. I am guessing standard is 0.600. I did notice that some are 0.580, and some are different than this. Is there a way I can find out what size is needed for my Wilson D9's?

I've switched to Recoil Dart and i won't be going back. No custom order I do will be without graphite moving forward. I get blisters from grips for hitting to many balls but no elbow or wrist pain

What other materials provide best results? Brand of double sided tape and solvent. Any brands to stay away from?
I bought a big roll of double sided tape from one of the golf stores online, but I've used the pre-cut strips in the Amazon regripping kits and they worked fine too.

For solvent, I go to Home Depot or Lowe's and get low-odor mineral spirits, it works great and dries quickly. I use an old paint tray to catch the excess solvent.

Hook blade on a box cutter is the best way to cut the old grips off (especially on graphite shafts). Getting the old tape off is the worst part - either a hairdryer or heat gun really, really makes it easier.

The Amazon kits come with a rubber shaft sleeve you can use in a bench vise to hold the club in place while you're doing the work. It's not fancy, but it's enough.

When regripping, the most important thing to know is the more solvent, the better. When you think you have enough in the grip and on the shaft, add more. You can't possibly have too much, but using not enough will make the job a lot more difficult.

Thanks folks. I will surely be keeping these things in mind. I am looking at Golf Pride CP2 grips.

If you got a hair dryer or heat gun in the house, warm up the old tape. Should be much easier to peel off.

Thanks folks. I will surely be keeping these things in mind. I am looking at Golf Pride CP2 grips.
CP2 goes on very easily, with just a little solvent. Should be a piece of cake job.

Back