Country Club Memberships

Do you prefer a membership at a CC or do you prefer to pay each time you play?

I prefer not to pay at all at any time.

Non CC here. I like the freedom to play anywhere and not feel obliged/obligated to hit the club. So much so a membership would probably be a waste of money.

Love the club, faster play is worth the pay...not really into all of the social stuff, just let me golf

I would love to belong to a club but everywhere around me is way to proud of themselves, (too much $).

Non CC here. I like the freedom to play anywhere and not feel obliged/obligated to hit the club. So much so a membership would probably be a waste of money.

That is the only downside, it makes you feel guilty when you drop coin to play somewhere new which I like to do.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

A country club offers so much in the way of meeting new people and making solid relationships. Some people, like Mr Hawk above, are in to male bonding and stuff which is cool, hehe. I've really gotten to know a ton of people through my club and am now working to get Liz there as much as possible to start meeting everyone. I talked to a lady last night for like an hour about wines made in Nebraska and cool places to go for samplings and diner.

I kind of want to join a CC when I grow up, but I agree about it being sort of limiting. Or so it seems. Where I play now is like a club. It's about 40K per year and I never have to pay a cent when I play. I play when I want and however much I want. I can only play 3 holes or I can play as many as I can fit in a day. My course is never crowded so I never have to wait. 3 meals a day are included in the initial yearly fee too. The course isn't in the best condition, but I'll take it.

Country Club for me...

My wife and I joined our club before it had golf. When the club bought and refurbished the former muni next door, that's when I got more seriously into golf and she started to dabble in it.

The member equity clubs are seriously expensive, but ours, which is corporate owned, isn't nearly as bad. And we get a senior rate with weekday only golf privileges. Let the kids who have to work for a living enjoy the weekends--we've got the whole week to play.

So from what ive seen here $883 isnt a bad price

If thats a year and you get full membership benefits at a nice course, thats a steal. I play closer to twice that and I think I have a pretty good deal.

What are cart fees like?

My home course is a public course that offers memberships, members get preferred tee times, pro-shop and beverage discounts, free range balls and a yearly "members only 3 day tournament"

I pay $75 per month for unlimited golf and then $11 bucks for a cart for the day...not just 18 holes...so if I get there early in the morning and want to play 36 or 54 or even 72 it's the same $11. It's an 18 hole Gary Player designed course that is in pretty good shape, with the exception of the bunkers...the bunkers are a joke.

No restaruant or social events and the one down fall is it can get pretty croweded on the weekends.

The other club in town is a true CC with only a 9 hole course that is very short, the have the pool and restaruant and social events....it's $300 per month plus $90 food and beverage minimum and I would still have to pay $15 for a cart to play golf.

And at only $75 per month I don't feel nearly as guilty when somebody says let's go play such and such course next weekend.

If the $883 or $1070 is per year and there are no monthly fees then that's a steal! Is there a food and beverage minimum? What do carts cost?

I'd like to join a club - there is an amazing one 10 minutes away from me - but for the time I have available to use it I can't justify the cost.

I am going to ride the Harley out there tomorrow "drag pipes" and find out some details, now the question wear my leathers or not. lol

Man looking around this area at the initiation fee. I don't know how guys can afford it! $4000 up front and then over $250 a month. That is just ridiculous in my opinion- but hey it is a pretty nice course. But not that much..

Just the 250 a month = $3000/56 weeks(play atleast once a week) still comes out to roughly $54 and even if I were to play twice a week it'd be roughly $27.
The best part is that this place charges less outside of kent county(where the course is located) how does that make sense? Wouldn't you want to charge less for more people to come?

But what is cool though is that they do a college special. $331 with no initiation fee but for the seasonal fee- but only valid from may 15 to august 15 so it's not exactly a steal for a college student.

I was thinking of joining one near me and it seemed reasonable with the junior rates I would get, but living in Michigan you essentially double the golf costs since you can only play half the year yet still have to pay year round. In the end as much as I wanted to join the math just didn't work out.

I kind of want to join a CC when I grow up, but I agree about it being sort of limiting. Or so it seems. Where I play now is like a club. It's about 40K per year and I never have to pay a cent when I play. I play when I want and however much I want. I can only play 3 holes or I can play as many as I can fit in a day. My course is never crowded so I never have to wait. 3 meals a day are included in the initial yearly fee too. The course isn't in the best condition, but I'll take it.

Dang dude! How does this work out? parents pay?

Thechosen1 said:
Man looking around this area at the initiation fee. I don't know how guys can afford it! $4000 up front and then over $250 a month. That is just ridiculous in my opinion- but hey it is a pretty nice course. But not that much..

Just the 250 a month = $3000/56 weeks(play atleast once a week) still comes out to roughly $54 and even if I were to play twice a week it'd be roughly $27.
The best part is that this place charges less outside of kent county(where the course is located) how does that make sense? Wouldn't you want to charge less for more people to come?

But what is cool though is that they do a college special. $331 with no initiation fee but for the seasonal fee- but only valid from may 15 to august 15 so it's not exactly a steal for a college student.

There's 52 weeks in a year. Where do the extra 4 come in?

kook said:
I was thinking of joining one near me and it seemed reasonable with the junior rates I would get, but living in Michigan you essentially double the golf costs since you can only play half the year yet still have to pay year round. In the end as much as I wanted to join the math just didn't work out.

Where in Michigan? The club I live on but not a member of in $3999 per year with a $799 initiation and the nicer one down the road is $7999 per year with usually a $11999 initiation but that is being waved if you join before June 1st... Expensive based on what I'm seeing here.

^^^
It was late. Oops hahaha

Dang dude! How does this work out? parents pay?

Dude it's my school. Lol. Golf course on campus, and all the benefits described above. But I also have to go to school.

I have been a member in the past but I will probably not do it again. Not worth it in my opinion. I can play every week on some really nice golf courses for less than $100 a pop - a lot less - and that alone makes any club that costs anywhere near $5000 a year a bad deal for me. I don't need to belong to a club to play a lot of golf.

I guess we are lucky around here to have some options. We have everything from my club, which comes out to around $110/month + FB minimums with no initiation fee to over $5K with big initiation fees.

I'd love to be able to join a club. But most of what you guys are saying...even half of that is still way beyond what I could afford. If you can do it though (and have wife permission) I say go for it.

I enjoy the CC. At times I like playing other course but feel like I'm cheating! I love everything about my CC and my wife loves the pool so it's a win win.

I am not member of one... yet. I never really gave it a second thought because I use to think on rich old guys were country club members. Now it is just because I can get such great deals on local courses online. However, I am playing a lot and I have my eye on joining a course 5 mins from me that I have played a few times and really love it. Not as much for playing the course but for the unlimited practice that it comes with. Plus, the extremely discounted golf prices helps too.

I am not member of one... yet. I never really gave it a second thought because I use to think on rich old guys were country club members. Now it is just because I can get such great deals on local courses online. However, I am playing a lot and I have my eye on joining a course 5 mins from me that I have played a few times and really love it. Not as much for playing the course but for the unlimited practice that it comes with. Plus, the extremely discounted golf prices helps too.

Which course?

Back