Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial (Spoilers)

seems like boo has been hitting the ball really well all year, almost seems inevitable that he'd get one eventually with the way he was hitting it.

I was lucky enough to be a volunteer for Colonial week. I went out on Wednesday and walked around, not really watching any particular golfer. I did see Fowler, on 5 (par 3 in "The Horrible Horseshoe"), hit a hybrid so far right it left the property. He could've just been working on, or trying something. But, just to be safe, I rechecked my fantasy golf roster to make sure he wasn't on it. On that same hole, he tossed a signed golf ball to a small boy who's smile lit up the world. Very cool.

Thurs-Sun I worked with the Shotlink Crew. It was sorta cool to punch in yardages, and then later on at home, watching the replays, I see/hear the announcer talk about a players yardage or putt distance and think, "Hey! They got that yardage from me." :smile-big:

I was lucky enough to be a volunteer for Colonial week. I went out on Wednesday and walked around, not really watching any particular golfer. I did see Fowler, on 5 (par 3 in "The Horrible Horseshoe"), hit a hybrid so far right it left the property. He could've just been working on, or trying something. But, just to be safe, I rechecked my fantasy golf roster to make sure he wasn't on it. On that same hole, he tossed a signed golf ball to a small boy who's smile lit up the world. Very cool.

Thurs-Sun I worked with the Shotlink Crew. It was sorta cool to punch in yardages, and then later on at home, watching the replays, I see/hear the announcer talk about a players yardage or putt distance and think, "Hey! They got that yardage from me." :smile-big:
That's pretty cool there Doug! Glad you got to be apart of this great tournament!

Here is my Scott Piercy story from the Colonial.

Background:
As a volunteer, we are expressly told not to talk to the player or caddy unless they speak to us first. If we are in their way, we back up near the fans. And, for Shotlink, we never move the device unless a player/caddy says move it. The device is on an 7-8 foot pole. That pole is attached w/velcro to a 4 foot metal green stake to keep it stable. If we are asked to move the shotlink, we remove it from the green stake. But, we leave the green stake unless they also ask us to move that.

So, we're working the fairway shotlink on a hole. Piercy hits his drive about 5 yards short of our device, and right in his line of flight to the hole. We're all chitter chattering about where his ball is in relation to the device. But, we don't do anything. When Piercy walks up, we all back up to where the fans are. Piercy never says a word. He's looking at his ball, looking at the flag and looking at us. He does this a couple of times. FINALLY, I ask him, "Do you want us to move that?". He nods his head once. So, we remove and leave the green stake and back up out of the way again. Again, he looks at his ball, looks at the flag and looks at us. So, again, I say, "Do you also want the green stake removed?". He nods his head once. So, I remove it and back up again. Then, he goes through his routine, hits his ball and walks off.

Mr. Personality.

Back