Did I begin to break through today??

48Handicap

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Last season I played with no woods...no driver, no fairway woods, so hybrids because my slice had gotten so bad. Just a 5-9, PW, GW, SW, & putter. My goal for this winter has been to learn to use my driver well enough to take it on the course and have it not be a hinderance.

I took a lesson at Mr. Golf in Green Bay, WI (SUPER PROPS TO THEM!!) and have made a few changes/improvements. First I re-shafted my driver from R-Flex to X-Stiff HZDRUS Yellow and I have hit the SIM/range a number of times in the early season always with the same bloody slice, but an occassional tolerable hit. Over the last week I have spent actual time visualizing my swing and what I want it/the ball to do, from the setup to the follow through, which I had done for other sports in the past, but never golf.

Today I warmed up with a bucket of balls for the irons and then hit a bucket with the driver. I would say about 40% of the balls went about where I wanted them, which for me is an absolute revelation. Who knew that thinking about what you want your body to do, then actually practicing would have an effect!

My hope this year is to get my handicap from it's current 48.2 (for real...I didn't know it could be that high) down to about a 30, which would put me consistently around 100. I think I can do that this year if I can get the ball farther down the fariway...Wish me luck and thanks for listening!

Fingers crossed for you!

That switch from an R to an XStiff will be different for sure.

Good luck! Once you get going that number will drop quickly

Seems like you're making the right moves to trend in that direction...once it starts it's gonna improve quick! Excited to follow along on your journey

Sounds like you are making some good progress, good luck on your journey.

Nice work! A slice can be a killer, but seeing improvement and results after hard work is a fantastic reward! well done!

Mindfulness and visualization is the cheapest game improvement device there is. Keep at it!

Good luck! There have been more than a few stories of people joining THP as a really high cap and moving down quickly. If nothing else, seems like you are building confidence with the driver and that is a huge part of hitting it consistently.

Good luck! There have been more than a few stories of people joining THP as a really high cap and moving down quickly. If nothing else, seems like you are building confidence with the driver and that is a huge part of hitting it consistently.
Thanks! I'm playing OL clubs as well, and that has really helped my iron game...I have the Orlimars at this point...hopefully some Cobras next!

Fingers crossed for you!

That switch from an R to an XStiff will be different for sure.
For sure...the sound is different and I can feel a lot more feedback, but it's going straighter so I'm happy!

Just don’t get discouraged if you don’t get the same results the first couple of times you get on the course that you had on the range. After a lesson it usually takes me few rounds for me to get the same results on the course I got on the range.

I'm just gonna keep posting in this thread...no one has to read it I'd they don't want to!

Played 18 today at my local. Temp was 34 and 20-30 mph winds at the start, probably 38 and windy at the end. Definitely the coldest, least comfortable round I've ever played.

Shot 120 with at least 10 penalty strokes. This is the first time I have ever seen the ball just absolutely blown around on the course.

On the plus side, I Shot 4 strokes better on the back 9 and my driver, while not great, was playable for the first time since picking the game back up in '22!

Played my second round (9 holes today) with my driver...the first 4 holes were just bad, but I hit the fairway for 3/4. Picked it up a bit for the next 5 and hit the fairway with the driver on 4/5 so 7/9 fairways off the tee but with only 1 GIR.

Time for iron practice...

Good luck, I had the same problem when I started. Hit driver 200 yards and then a right turn in to the rough, worked on the swing and one day it went straight down the fairway. Keep with it, golf is a great game.

Last edited:
good luck and keep after it. Sometimes it can seem like your going backwards or sideways when trying to make a swing change but stick with it.

Spents about 30 minutes practicing chipping before work this morning - what a great way to start the day! I am trying to get more consistent with my strikes and distances, and am trying out various balls...I am using the the Wilson Staff Tour X balls at this point; After one round, they seem to be great for me off of the tee - what has been the make or break for me up to this point. Now I've got to learn what they do on the rest of the course!

27 Pines Practice Green.jpg

Back