Did You Meet Your 2009 Goals?

Dent

MIA
Reaction score
Handicap
For those of us who are not fortunate enough to have year round golf. I assume your seasons are coming to a close. JB had a thread posted asking your 2009 season goals. This thread is for people to follow up and brief about their season, did you meet your goals?

2009 Golf Goals - The Hackers Paradise

I'll start:

My goals at the beginning of the season:

1) Be Smarter

I actually am a little more smart with my shots now, I examine the risks and consequences before a risky shot and figure out if it is really worth it. I'll give that one a check.

2) More Mental Stability

Yes: I have settled my temper down and am able to bounce back from a bad score. I think of the holes ahead instead of the holes I have finished.

3) Play as Much as I can

Yes: I played alot more than last year, I must have gotten in over 70 + rounds.

4) Avg Under 30 Putts

No: I finished off with an average of 32.02

5) Get my head out of my ass and start playing some golf. (basically the same as #2)

No, I did not achieve any great scores. This year has possibly been my worst golf season as far as performance yet. It is funny: I started the season with a 6.7 handicap, and along the season went to a low of 6.3, and a high of 7.9 and now am back to where I started.

3/5

I just relabeled mine. 2010 goals.

3 out of 5 aint too shabby Dent. My main goal was to get my handicap under 20 and that happened so Im pretty stoked on that.

Dent - I think #1 and #2 are major accomplishments and probably took a lot of time and effort. Now that you have them down, the rest will follow more easily next year.

As far as I am concerned - I came to the conclusion yesterday that I am getting worse. I'm not too concerned about it though. Plenty of time to get better - even this year. Well, unless it snows.

I wasn't posting here at the beginning of 2009 but my goal was to 1) play a more, which I did; I played at least once a week, sometimes twice, and 2) to lower my handicap. This one will have to roll over into next year. I started the season at a 5.5 and I'm now at a 7.4. This is distressing but looking back at this year, I was a lot more consitent. I broke 80 every round but 3. My problem is that when I broke 80 it was with 77, 78 or 79. Last summer I was more up and down but I had more rounds in the lower 70s. Overall I'm pleased that I was able to play a lot. So I'll be looking at re-uping my goals for 2010.

my goals for 2009

• buy new clubs yep and i love them
  • learn to use new clubs working on this
  • get out and play more often (more than 3 rounds all season) so far i've got 2 rounds under me
  • get the 1sg out for a round or two when he comes home on leave got a round in when he was home. Hopefully a few more of them when he gets back for good.
  • set up and hold my charity tournament not going to happen this year
  • break 100 on a legitimate course haven't played a "real" course yet this year

The comments in red are updates from earlier this year.
  • I did get new clubs,
  • I'm still working on getting use to the new clubs
  • I've played probably 15 rounds this year
  • I got the 1Sg out when he was home on leave and we are planning an outing in a couple weeks if the weather holds
  • Didn't hold a tournament this year, hopefully I can get one set up for next year
  • I've only played a "real" course twice this year and have shot a 107 and 110 so I'm getting close

I think this is the same as last year...
Get a few lessons
Work on getting the pulls/hooks out of my game
Get up and down a little more
Get in the single digits

Only thing I did was "get up and down a little more"

I stopped keeping a handicap but I imagine I didn't make much improvement towards single digits from an 11.2 or whatever I last "officially" was.

I accomplished the two things I wanted. Those things being, I am still above ground, and I am still playing golf 2 or 3 times a week. :D

My goals were to improve my overall game and thus, my handicap. During the first half of the year, I was well on my way to that goal. I reduced my handicap by 3 strokes and came in 2nd in the City Championships and won my men's club championship. I felt like I was finally on the way to consistently better scores.

This is the point at which the Golf Gods intervened with a few chuckles. My handicap is now actually above the pre-improvement level and I am very frustrated. I am just now starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I just hope it is not an oncoming train.

My goals were to improve my overall game and thus, my handicap. During the first half of the year, I was well on my way to that goal. I reduced my handicap by 3 strokes and came in 2nd in the City Championships and won my men's club championship.

Congrats on the club championship and coming second in the city!

My goal this year was to learn how to hit my driver well. I dont think I can say that Ive learned how to hit it "well" yet, but Ive definetly vastly improved.
I used to hit a huge slice with my driver but now Im hitting a slight hook. Im working with my grip and my swing in order to square up the clubface better but at least now I can hit the fairway at least half the time.
Now if only I can figure out how to hit a 3-wood off the deck I just might have a chance at being a single-digit handicapper.

1. Get the new clubs purchased.
2. Remember to keep my head down!
3. Play my first round of golf since 2002.
4. Enjoy playing golf.

My list was pretty basic back when that thread started.

1. Accomplished! Now I'm wanting to start tinkering with possible club changes lol!

2. Accomplished....sometimes. :blush:

3. Accomplished, and many more. :clapp:

4. Accomplished. Even a bad round is a lot more fun that sitting inside or working. :D

Well, I set my goals in June for the rest of the year and so far, I have met almost all of them. I had one lofty goal that I probably won't achieve due to injuries and that was drop 10 strokes off my index. My index actually went up 2 points. But I am currently injury free and over the last 2 weeks have seen a lot of improvement in my game. Besides my index, I still have 2 goals, one which is attainable, just has to be a great day and that is to get my first eagle. I almost got it over the weekend, but it really wouldn't have been a birdie, it would have been a hole in 1. So close I was. My only real shot for the eagle is to be able to roll 1 in from my 2nd shot on a par 4, as I am too short for the par 5s to have a chance. Unless my new 3w helps in that dept.

Now that LGL NI has returned, I'm anxious to read how her season went.

• Drop at least 10 strokes off of my handicap.:golf: - Didn't Happen, I've only managed to drop 2 strokes :angry:
  • No more 3 putts:beat-up: - I reduced the number of 3 putts, but still have plenty. I did have one round with only 26 putts
  • Learn to deal, and avoid blow-up holes:yin-yang: - I still had a few really stellar meltdowns
  • make fewer penalty strokes:beat-up: - Not sure if this reduced or not, but I have finished a couple of rounds with the same ball I started with
  • increase my vernacular to lob :bomb: back at my friends on the teebox after they razz me - This needs work, I still get mowed down

Meh, I stunk it up. Not playing for the last 3 months didn't help things much.

Some met, some close

Some met, some close

I wanted to do a couple of things with my game this year and thanks to GolfTEC I was able to do that. I wanted to hit my irons higher and my driver more accurate. Playing wise I wanted to putt better from 25+ feet and get more up and downs. I had times when I did putt very well from most any distance, but did not achieve the consistency I desired. Pretty much the same with getting up and down, however I switched to a 58* wedge from a 56* and after a short adjustment period it seems to have helped. I'll know more after a full season. All in all, I'm happy with the changes and improvement I've seen this year. Looking forward to Myrtle Beach in early December and Texas in February.:golf2::twist:

Not at all. I took a step or two backward this year. But next year has to be better!

I went back and looked at my goals for 2009 and they were:

1) Goal: Get to shooting consistently in the low-mid 90's. Status: Achieved. I am now shooting more consistently in that range. I can still throw one north of the century mark but most of the time I am where I wanted to be.

2) Goal: To win two trophies in golf competition tournaments. Status: Achieved. I actually won three including the season points total; making me a repeat tour champion. I won last year as well. This is a tour I play on and we are flighted by our handicap.

3) Goal: To improve my short game. Status: Acheived (I think). I do feel much better about it and am no longer fearful of the bunkers. Last year they scared me to death because I never knew what was coming out of them when I hit the ball. This year I improved my "good outs" and expect to get onto the green on the first shot. This probably was the most important improvemetn that lead to me getting lower scores.

4) Goal: To enjoy the game. Status: Achieved. I still love getting out for a round with friends but also love the competitive aspect too.

Looking forward to 2010!!!!

The following were my golf goals for 2009:

1) Become a single-digit handicap. Unfortunately, this goal is being pushed to 2010, as my season was hampered by some bad habits and non-golf related injury.

2) Average no less than 1 round of golf a week for the season. Thankfully, this was acomplished.

3) Average no less than 2 practice sessions a week for the season and 1 practice session a week in non-season. Accomplished.

4) Play Erin Hills. Accomplished the day prior to its closing for the year.

The following were my golf goals for 2009:

1) Become a single-digit handicap. Unfortunately, this goal is being pushed to 2010, as my season was hampered by some bad habits and non-golf related injury.

2) Average no less than 1 round of golf a week for the season. Thankfully, this was acomplished.

3) Average no less than 2 practice sessions a week for the season and 1 practice session a week in non-season. Accomplished.

4) Play Erin Hills. Accomplished the day prior to its closing for the year.

Hey, 3 out of 4 aint too bad. Youll get the first one next year.

Not at all. I took a step or two backward this year. But next year has to be better!

This is me too. My RC injury severely limited my play time this season. But after the surgery, it's getting better so quickly that I'll easily be ready for next golf season!

My game at the end of last year consisted of shanking my way to the hole before I could finally putt. So I was so frusterated with my game I took 6 lessons to start the season this year. Best thing I ever did for my game. My goal was really to get back to golf where I could hit the ball again. Thankfully I can do that again and Im enjoying most of the rounds. Now I want to get better and add distance Ive lost.

Lets see.

Start playing golf: Achieved
Learn proper golf etiquette: Achieved
Learn proper swing techniques: Achieved in part
Be somewhat consistent: Nope
Break 100: Achieved
Break 90: Nope
Have the time of my life: Acheived

i think 2009 was the first year i actually didnt set myself any golf goals, and without clear goals, you dont make progress.
my handicap stalled at 17 and i didnt practice at all.

but 2010 its back to work, getting plenty of practice and lessons to get my swing into a place where i can knock a few shots of the handicap and finally break 80.

Back