Differences in putters: Inserts/milled faces/ neither

Hold the putter with two fingers on one hand where the balance point is (where it won't fall off and the putter stays still on your two fingers, tends to be more towards the putter head). the putter head should naturally rotate if it's heel/toe. On face balanced the face stays up.

Now take those 2 fingers and... jk, jk, jk.

Ah ok. My Ghost stays straight up, and my kia ma rotates.

I wont comment on the last part of what I would like to say back hahaha

But whats the difference in them? Does a face balanced putter provide a faster roll, firmer feel? Or does and heel/toe balanced putter have a faster roll, etc?

But whats the difference in them? Does a face balanced putter provide a faster roll, firmer feel? Or does and heel/toe balanced putter have a faster roll, etc?

Balance has alot to do with stroke style. Though many debate that whole idea as well, lots of different "sides" out there.

I don't think it has much to do with roll or feel. Remember on putting you want the face to be completely square to the ball at impact. I'll give you my example since The TMPL fitter explained it pretty well. On putting my misses tend to be a push and my stroke is straight back w/ a little on the inside and straight through. The weighting on a heel/toe would not work well for me because that weight and where it's positioned on the club head, with my stroke, would cause the face of the club to open up at impact, therefore causing the push. It's all weighting an where it is hence the numbers. Kind of like the weighting on a driver that has draw bias will help position the club head at impact for a desired result.

I don't think it has much to do with roll or feel. Remember on putting you want the face to be completely square to the ball at impact. I'll give you my example since The TMPL fitter explained it pretty well. On putting my misses tend to be a push and my stroke is straight back w/ a little on the inside and straight through. The weighting on a heel/toe would not work well for me because that weight and where it's positioned on the club head, with my stroke, would cause the face of the club to open up at impact, therefore causing the push. It's all weighting an where it is hence the numbers. Kind of like the weighting on a driver that has draw bias will help position the club head at impact for a desired result.

ahh ok, I see what you mean. Well maybe out of the 10 putters I will have here shortly one of them will work haha. I need to go get my ghost and Kia ma fitted to me. I want to go to the TMPL badly!!

I dont want this to turn into a what type of putter you game but more of how its made, why the insert, why the milled face, why the sizes, shapes, etc? Just for someone to explain the differences and what they're for, the performance differences, etc..

Some of the inserts in putters have grooves in them, Yes, Rife, etc. and the theory is that the grooves help get the ball rolling forward sooner and eliminates skidding. When the ball skids it is more likely to get knocked off line which is why tour pros try to strike the ball with a slight upswing in the stroke.

Other material based inserts (Odyssey) and milling techniques are for feel.

Back