Do you golf during family vacations?

Nerdy

Revenge of the Nerds!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
OH weather
I've gone on multiple golf trips and my wife has never had any issue when I tell her about an upcoming trip, but I've never tried to sneak in a round during a family vacation.

Do you play on family vacations? Is it planned in to the trip or do you just wing it on a day with not much going on?

I usually try to fit in at least one day of golf on vacations. My dad and I were able to sneak away for a day this past November at Disney World and play one of their courses. We had to rent clubs, but it was a really fun experience.

I try to hook up with THPers or friends in the area to play at least once or if a course I wanna to play is close I'll go. It is planned but I usually just find our slowest day and do it then.

Generally not when our kids are with us as we make it more about them and they arent golfers yet. If it's just my wife and I we usually play because she knows I love it and she enjoys it too

haven't much to this point. if the little guy keeps enjoying golf i think that it will become more frequent.

I will be on our trip this year, but it'll be the first family vacation that I actually golf on. Most of our past vacations are shorter, maybe 4-5 days, so just wasn't really time.

Yep, that will be planned in. Gives me a chance to play somewhere new.

It depends on where are we going and the time of year. Upstate NY at Christmas is a no go. I didn’t take my clubs when we went to Disney in October.

All the time! You want me to go on a family trip and pay for it?? Big Daddy is playing golf!

I haven't before, maybe when the girls are a little older and dad isn't cool anymore.

Was much easier when my Dad was still with us and he and I would usually go play several times. Don't think I"ve been able to the last few vacations and we haven't taken a vacation in several years now :(

I usually try to play once or twice but I go early in the am so I don't miss anything

I have but it's not high on the list. Family first and if I can sneak in a round then great.

I've gone on multiple golf trips and my wife has never had any issue when I tell her about an upcoming trip, but I've never tried to sneak in a round during a family vacation.

Do you play on family vacations? Is it planned in to the trip or do you just wing it on a day with not much going on?
I have before but with the family. All my family vacations include my siblings and their significant others so I would golf with my dad/BIL/brother most times.

Now that I have my own family and speaking specifically about that, it just depends. 1 round I know I could get away with. Anything more would be a tall ask.

I would say almost never up to this point, I'm hoping as my kids are now older and more interested in golf that maybe we could incorporate it moving forward

I don’t typically go on trips but I’m traveling back home for a wedding later this year. Golf is definitely on the schedule and although my wife had a look, she later changed her opinion to making sure I get in at least one round in with my son and my dad.

Only reason I would go.

Absolutely.

I've snuck in rounds in the morning since my kids were teenagers. At that age it seems like they don't even want to get up until noon! Now that my kids are out of the house, my wife has started picking up the game and we go to local courses while on trips.

If you mean family in the extended sense, yes golf is a much needed break from family. If immediate family only, then that's about all we do when the sun is out as it's my wife & I.

I've never understood "sneaking out to do....." during a vacation. It's a vacation, you should be doing what you want to do any way or it's not a vacation.

For those that said they play
Do you bring your clubs (whether driving or flying) or grab something off the shelf at the course?

I try and keep family vacations to family vacations. Golf trips are separate.

For those that said they play
Do you bring your clubs (whether driving or flying) or grab something off the shelf at the course?
Always bring my own clubs when I know I'm playing.

Both... plan and wing it.... bring my clubs and play as early as I can to reduce backlash ;)

Back