Do you use a “water ball”?

I pull out a water ball. But not to hit it. I walk up the the water, throw it in and say "You're gonna take my ball either way you bastard! Take this one!" I'm hoping that appeases the water gods. Not always but sometimes it works. :cool:

I don't personally, but play with a number of people who do.

Yes....reason why I carry a few 'cheapie' balls :).

I used to a long time ago. But back then it wasn't a $4 ball. I substituted the ball in my bag that was in the worst shape. Now-a-days I'm happy to say that while I do use $4 balls when I come up to a forced carry over water I'm looking way down the fairway and don't even think about the water unless it's a 250 yard carry.

Any ball in my bag could be a water ball. I mean, I probably wouldn't use the logo ball I bought in the pro shop, but otherwise they're all Pro V1s. Should one of them happen to find the water there is another just like it waiting to take it's place. And I'm pretty sure the ball plant runs Monday to Friday anyway.

I feel like this thread really shows what a big business ball manufacturing/selling is. We're a stubborn lot.

I usually carry 2 of my gamers with me.
On a water hole, get both out and play the worse looking of the 2.

I feel like this thread really shows what a big business ball manufacturing/selling is. We're a stubborn lot.
Golfers, in conjunction with course architects keep the golf ball industry afloat.

Not at all. If you do that, then you're putting the water into your own mind and thinking that there is a better than even's chance of going in the water. If you've no confidence then you might as well just toss your ball in the water without swinging and head to the drop zone.

I don't. But I usually play the one ball with another in my pocket, same kind. If I think about it, I don't always, if one happens to have a blemish, I'd prefer to use that one the toughest tee shots (doesn't have to be water).

Not at all. If you do that, then you're putting the water into your own mind and thinking that there is a better than even's chance of going in the water. If you've no confidence then you might as well just toss your ball in the water without swinging and head to the drop zone.
Imo thats not at all always true. In fact (as i somewhat already mentioned), I find it kind of confident lacking that you couldn't use a water ball without then feeling like your more likely to end up in the water. To me,...that in itself can be more an acceptance of defeat than the other way around.

Imo thats not at all always true. In fact (as i somewhat already mentioned), I find it kind of confident lacking that you couldn't use a water ball without then feeling like your more likely to end up in the water. To me,...that in itself can be more an acceptance of defeat than the other way around.
The brain is a strange thing in the way that it works! I like to take a brand new shiny ball, ignore the water and swing away but then again I lose confidence in the silliest of things, so is swings and roundabouts. Although having said that, not too many brand new shiny balls in my bag by the time the water holes come around :LOL:

I don’t do this. Minus one exception. We have a hole at my club that you can cut a lot off of. But you have to be able to carry 280+. On the rare occasions I try this I will use a scuffed/older ball. Since most likely it is not making it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The fact that you even have a 280+ carry in your arsenal to attempt it in the first place is pretty incredible. Generally speaking at that kind of carry yardage (or even close to that) you should be cutting a lot of yardage off most holes.....lol I know some of you guys can really hit the ball a long ways. More power to ya's :)

I'll most definitely use a water ball. It's not that I'm afraid of losing a $2 ball. I'm not... that's one of the main reasons I won't play a $4 unless I find it on the course. And I'm not afraid of water. I know my game. I know whether I can carry over water or not. I don't know when my slice may appear. It comes and goes at times so... a water ball in case my slice shows is what I do.

Back