Driver, 3wood, or Iron on the First Tee?

PeterKratsios

Reaction score
There is definitely a different mindset that goes into this decision with casual vs. competitive play, but my question is, what is your club of choice on the First Tee...assuming it isn't a wide-open fairway.

I for one always take out driver because if I can't get the nerves out on the first hole, then I usually don't feel comfortable taking our driver on the second hole. However, I always see Professionals on tour take out 3wood or hybrid on the first hole to get it in the fairway, so us amateurs are just more bold! (Or don't have millions riding on our round)

Most professionals can afford to hit a shorter club even off longer holes.

Don't care if it's the first tee or last tee. If it's a driver hole, it's a driver hole for me.

Driver, Driver, Driver. I hit it better than any other club off the first tee. It wasn't always that way but it is now so I hit driver no matter how close the hole is. I'd rather hit driver and have an awkward wedge shot than lay up off the first tee for the prefect yardage. Laying up first tee is always a disaster for me!

Driver, unless the fairway turns or ends or something where driver may be too much club. Otherwise, let the big dog eat.

If it was a tight par 4 or 5 then I would still probably pull driver out. I usually play my driver because I want to continue to grow with it. Having not seen the hole I cannot be certain though.

I usually go driver but on occasion will experiment with something else

Whatever club the hole calls for. The fact that it's the first tee plays zero factor in my decision.

all depends on what i need for my second shot.

Whatever club I would normally hit based on the hole design. The fact that it's the first tee doesn't change my approach.

My home course is an iron off the tee as it is a dogleg right with OOB all down the right then a short iron into the green

If I was playing a course where you could hit driver then I would probably pull it out of the bag assuming I have had a chance to loosen up on the range first. If I haven't hit a ball prior to the first tee then 5W is a pretty safe club for me to hit when cold

First tee doesn't affect my club decision. If there is danger long, I will hit less than driver.

Whatever club the hole calls for. The fact that it's the first tee plays zero factor in my decision.

Me too....If it's a tight short par 4 or something with a dogleg I don't want to blow through I will hit a 3 wood, or 5, or hybrid, or whatever I need to get where I want to be...if it's a driver hole the driver is coming out...My first hole will always turn out better if I have an easier approach for my second than if I get super conservative and leave myself with a longer approach shot.

My strategy could possibly change if I was playing somewhere that didn't have a range or net for me to warm up on before the 1st tee, but most likely I would just use the same club and be more focused on making a smooth, compact controlled swing to start the round.

If it's wide open I'm probably taking driver. This is also how I approach it.
Whatever club I would normally hit based on the hole design. The fact that it's the first tee doesn't change my approach.

This is my thoughts. I have really started paying more attention to playing to a number, and if that doesnt mean driver. Then I dont hit driver.

Driver. It has the biggest face.

I normally play two off of the first tee b/c I rarely wam up; therefore, it's a little easier to hit driver and be fine with it. If it was a tight fairway with water on the right, I'd SERIOUSLY consider 3-wood as I tend to keep it a little straighter with only ~25 yards less in distance.

Depends on the hole but if I can hit driver I will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Majority of the time it's a driver. 1st hole at Caledonia is a 3 wood for me.

I'd chose driver. Not a fan of hitting an iron off the first.

as been said by some. It all depends on the hole layout and distance. I play whatever club allows for what I think is the best way to manage the hole regardless if its hole #1 or not. If first tee jitters are going to creep in they will do so whether a driver or a 4iron are anything in between. Just play the hole according to my game no matter what just like any other hole.

This. Couldn't have said it better.

It's a driver for me as well, unless there's a dogleg I don't want to mess with or something. I'll hit 3H if that's the case. I haven't hit an iron off the tee on anything more than a par 3 in I don't know how long. Maybe never.

Almost always driver for me especially lately with the R1. I never thought I could feel this confident with a driver in my hands but I do at this point, which feels GREAT! Good thread

Driver all day for me, that's assuming the hole isn't playing at a yardage where I normally would hit driver. I'm not gonna try to hit the fairway only to leave myself 200 into the green.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Back