Driver Heads --> and how much they Weigh

erock9174

Reaction score
Handicap
I often wonder how much driver heads weigh, especially when it comes to the build aspect.
If you have any pics while measuring the head, please feel free to add them here. It would be nice to have them all in one thread.

Here are some I just measured to start with:

Tour Edge EXS 220
193g (this is with the stock 10g weight)
62B04708-91C3-4A9A-B6C0-AAF3657B4BB7.jpeg

Last edited:
Callaway Epic Flash
193g (this is with the stock weight)
FA655440-F340-49B1-9CAB-7028E2F916DA.jpeg

Last edited:
Callaway Big Bertha Fusion “Heavy” with 12g weight
199g

Stock weight is 5g so with stock weight it would be 192g.
5D9D02D4-1F88-40F5-AEA4-B5EABCCAE9C5.jpeg

Last edited:
Cobra Speedzone Xtreme
199g (this is with the stock weight)
4C00479E-83B3-40E7-9D3A-88C1A8B5A22A.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting, all pretty close.

I'll throw a pic up of my M5 later, if I remember. Wouldn't hurt to duplicate some head, too, just to show the tolerances.

This is great and all, but there are also tolerances and some will weigh more or less than others. You need to weigh them every time if you really want your build to be specific.

Should we be putting the removable weight details with the measurement so people can add/subtract as needed? Or are these done with weights removed?

Callaway GBB Epic
191g (with stock weight)

EBAED8A2-90A8-4F96-A38C-FD821CF4ED58.jpeg

Last edited:
Should we be putting the removable weight details with the measurement so people can add/subtract as needed? Or are these done with weights removed?

Good question. I have an aftermarket weight in my M5 that weighs 6g more than stock. I'll be weighing and posting pics of mine with and without weights... and likely with stock weights, too.

These are all with the stock weight unless noted. Like the Fusion I have the heavier 12g weight vs the stock 5g. Weight.

Good question. I have an aftermarket weight in my M5 that weighs 6g more than stock. I'll be weighing and posting pics of mine with and without weights... and likely with stock weights, too.
If you just post the weight without removable weights added, then that should be sufficient, and people can add/subtract as needed.

And this proves my point right away. My epic with standard weight came in at 195. 4g is two swingweight points and changes a build. I get the idea behind the thread, I just don’t think it’s completely useful because of the differences in headweights from the factory.

Cobra Speedzone 9 deg - no weights

20200515_095842_HDR.jpgu

As played with 2 14g weights
20200515_100244_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
And this proves my point right away. My epic with standard weight came in at 195. 4g is two swingweight points and changes a build. I get the idea behind the thread, I just don’t think it’s completely useful because of the differences in headweights from the factory.

I think that's just a great reason for multiple folks to post their headweights. Might be nice to see how many companies can hit their specs. Granted we don't know what their goal weight is and what tolerances they're going for, but if we see one head at 200g and one at 190g, then we know they either didn't pay for tight tolerances or their QC process sucks.

This is great and all, but there are also tolerances and some will weigh more or less than others. You need to weigh them every time if you really want your build to be specific.

Right, totally get there will be tolerances (usually a +/- a gram or 2) from my experience.
I just created this as I thought it would be a nice easy way to reference if you are searching for a specific head. I know I have spent a good amount of time in the past trying to find head weights buried within review threads, etc.

Info is info. also I get that scales might not be all calibrated equally too. I ordered some scales for my Auditors last year and it cost well over $1500 each to get professional grade scales.

I just thought it would be fun to get ballpark numbers, if you don't find it useful that's ok too.

Callaway Great Big Bertha
194g (with stock weight)

C248487B-BD12-4930-9198-242854031CD5.jpeg

I don't have a scale any more since I don't build as much as I did a few years back.

Some interesting ones I had.

Callaway GBB (2015) with stock slider weight was 198
My Wilson Cortex was 211 i believe when I took it to my local shop
I want to take in my Speedzone extreme but havn't yet since the pandemic has hit.

I like heavier head since I have been playing lighter shafts, but really needing to actually get fit to see what I like to feel, is beneficial to me.....

I don't have a scale any more since I don't build as much as I did a few years back.

Some interesting ones I had.

Callaway GBB (2015) with stock slider weight was 198
My Wilson Cortex was 211 i believe when I took it to my local shop
I want to take in my Speedzone extreme but havn't yet since the pandemic has hit.

I like heavier head since I have been playing lighter shafts, but really needing to actually get fit to see what I like to feel, is beneficial to me.....

Unless it's way off the charts light or heavy, I'd be surprised if what you like is detrimental at all. Maybe 1mph here or there, but I doubt it'd be worth worrying about. If you're comfortable with it, you'll play it better when your swing isn't all there. There might be a slightly better fit, but I'd bet you'd be giving up a bit when your swing doesn't make the trip.

Info is info. also I get that scales might not be all calibrated equally too. I ordered some scales for my Auditors last year and it cost well over $1500 each to get professional grade scales.

I just thought it would be fun to get ballpark numbers, if you don't find it useful that's ok too.
But isn’t that the opposite of useful? If you come in and get a weight on a head you’re building, because you don’t have your own scale, but it turns out your head weights 5 grams differently...that’s a decent difference if someone is trying to get it exact without a swingweight scale.

I hate to be a Debbie downer with it, but I actually think it’s more harmful than useful.

But isn’t that the opposite of useful? If you come in and get a weight on a head you’re building, because you don’t have your own scale, but it turns out your head weights 5 grams differently...that’s a decent difference if someone is trying to get it exact without a swingweight scale.

I hate to be a Debbie downer with it, but I actually think it’s more harmful than useful.

I think as long as readers realize it's similar to looking up the headweight spec, in that it might be close, but it's likely off a few grams, it's useful. I don't think anyone here expects to find a Cobra Speedzone Xtreme to weigh 199g every time, but I'll be honest, I never realized an Epic Flash only weighted 193g with the stock weight and, knowing that, I'm glad I didn't get one now.

Unless it's way off the charts light or heavy, I'd be surprised if what you like is detrimental at all. Maybe 1mph here or there, but I doubt it'd be worth worrying about. If you're comfortable with it, you'll play it better when your swing isn't all there. There might be a slightly better fit, but I'd bet you'd be giving up a bit when your swing doesn't make the trip.

probably right haha. it's more of just wanting to make sure I get rid of a nasty rope hook when I go after one/yank down. Since I started to hit a driver half way decently, I haven't really gone through extremes in terms of using my helium and using a heavier one besides testing the ATTAs 11 which as you said, on average not a huge difference. The misses told a lot though

Back